Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Tools    

Directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh as Poirot!

The mustache would be worth the price of admission alone but check out this cast:

Michelle Pfeiffer
Penelope Cruz
Willem Dafoe
Judi Dench
Daisy Ridley
Derek Jacobi
Josh Gad
Olivia Coleman
Leslie Odom, Jr.
Lucy Boynton
Manuel García Rulfo
and Johnny Depp

Looks fun! The trailer reveal doesn't work very well, though.

Seriously, why is Imagine Dragons still a thing?

November 10th.
Omg I love Olivia Coleman. Yaaaaas! Even if we don't need a remake of this. Still strangely excited!

I'm not really a big fan of using music that I don't think fits a film. Basically, I am not the biggest fan of using modern music for something that does not take place in modern times. I've never understood the point to that. Is that supposed to make it appeal to the younger audience or something? I really don't get it.
The music is just in the trailer though, right? Or is that what you are talking about? If that is used in the film then i completely agree but i don't really care about it being in a trailer, that's just to hook people in. According to wiki the music in the film is done by this dude: a Scottish Composer and long time collabarator of Branagh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Doyle

So i don't think it's in the film.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The music is just in the trailer though, right? Or is that what you are talking about? If that is used in the film then i completely agree but i don't really care about it being in a trailer, that's just to hook people in. According to wiki the music in the film is done by this dude: a Scottish Composer and long time collabarator of Branagh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Doyle

So i don't think it's in the film.
We were talking about in the trailer, but even if it is just in the trailer, I never understood how that could hook someone in. Of course, maybe that is just me. Maybe it would be something that would get others interested in the film. So I can't speak for everyone else as far as that goes. But I honestly don't understand how that would draw a person in.

I am so in love with Patrick Doyle's music. I just love his compositions. I am always happy to see that Branagh is using him for another one of his films.

I think I have said before that I am a huge Kenneth Branagh fan. Therefore, I will most likely actually pay to see this film in a theater.

We were talking about in the trailer, but even if it is just in the trailer, I never understood how that could hook someone in. Of course, maybe that is just me. Maybe it would be something that would get others interested in the film. So I can't speak for everyone else as far as that goes. But I honestly don't understand how that would draw a person in.
I get that and i don't really understand how it works either. But it is just a marketing strategy so it doesn't bother me much. I also don't watch trailers that much which probably factors into me not minding it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not really a big fan of using music that I don't think fits a film. Basically, I am not the biggest fan of using modern music for something that does not take place in modern times. I've never understood the point to that. Is that supposed to make it appeal to the younger audience or something? I really don't get it.
Personally I like it, in general. Nothing like a good bit of anachronistic music. Moulin Rouge, Gangs of New York, Peaky Blinders - all good examples of this done well. And I don't think I count as a younger audience any more! In this case I think the choice is not so much about the younger audience as drawing attention to it being a new film.

As for this being a remake, I never really consider a film to be a remake unless the story would be a copy that was original to a film. Let's say they make another Raiders Of the Lost Ark. That, to me, would be a remake. Whenever it is a movie based on a book, or a play (or a musical), I just consider it to be a new adaptation. Then it never bothers me too much if there is a new version of it.
Agree with this completely. A new adaptation of a book is not the same as a remake of a film.

But sometimes there are books which seem to get adapted too often, which gets unnecessary. Or if the adaptation was so famous that it overshadowed the book it might seem a weird choice - but that's a whole other thread for another day.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
But sometimes there are books which seem to get adapted too often, which gets unnecessary. Or if the adaptation was so famous that it overshadowed the book it might seem a weird choice - but that's a whole other thread for another day.
I completely agree about an adaptation being so famous that it would be weird (or just downright absurd!) to remake it (i.e. Gone With The Wind or Field of Dreams). I am usually a big advocate of new adaptations, though, because of one particular book. There was this article about the 2011 Jane Eyre. Someone wrote "Do we really need another version of it?". All I remember thinking was "Yes. Yes, we do". I am always in the mood for a new version of that (basically until they get it just right - which will probably never happen).

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I agree about adaptations, because I'm still waiting for the day they adapt Wuthering Heights just right

And as wonderful a cast as this film has, I can't seen anyone but David Suchet as Poirot really.

I agree about adaptations, because I'm still waiting for the day they adapt Wuthering Heights just right
Was the last one the 4:3 film with a black Heathcliffe?

Sorry I put an e on the end of Heathcliff. That's years of typing Philip Hinchcliffe for you .

I liked that one.
I like the one with Juliette Binoche just because I first saw it at school, I didn't know her and I just thought: why is she French ? In any case it's an unusual one for her because she plays two characters.

This might just do nobody any good.
I liked the Olivier one too.

David Niven was never young.

This might just do nobody any good.
Okay, so this came out with little fanfare, buried under Justice League and Coco, reception seems lukewarm on the professional critic front but I’ve heard heartily enthusiasts online.

I think I’ll pass on a theatre watch but I’ll definitely check it out eventually.

Regardless, it’s getting a sequel based on “Death on the Nile”:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mu...le-1202620018/

The mustache-verse continues.