The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The MoFo Top 100 Albums - Preliminary Thread

How It Works:

Everyone PMs me a ranked list of their 25 favourite albums. The #1 album gets 25 points, the #2 album gets 24 points, and so on. I tally up the points and list the 100 albums that scored the most.

The Rules:

1. When voting for a particular album, specify the album title, the band/artist and the year of release e.g. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd, 1973. This is to help distinguish between multiple entries that may have the same title.

2. No singles/EPs. Nominated albums must be at least 25 minutes in length per the commonly accepted minimum length of an LP. Possible exceptions to the rule (e.g. Dream Theater's 55-minute "EP" A Change of Seasons) will be considered on a case-by-case basis. There is no maximum length in place.

3. No compilations. Aside from "Greatest Hits" albums, this also means no box sets comprised of multiple standalone albums (e.g. Pink Floyd's Discovery box set). Compilations of the "B-sides and rarities" sub-type will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

4. No bootlegs/unauthorised recordings. That'll just complicate things in so many ways.

5. Soundtrack albums are permitted on the condition that they consist of either a) an original score e.g. Blade Runner, or b) consist of multiple original songs e.g. The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Soundtracks comprised entirely of licensed songs are not permitted. Albums that mix original music with licensed music will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but the loose rule will be that it must contain more original content than licensed content.

6. Classical recordings are permitted on the condition that you specify the conductor, orchestra and year. e.g. just saying "Beethoven's 9th Symphony" is too vague, while specifying "Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmoniker, 1963" in addition will help. To this end, if you are planning on voting for a particular piece of classical music a version to vote for should be agreed upon before any votes are cast. Check further down the thread to nominate your own picks or to confirm other people's nominations.

Voting closes at 11:59 p.m. AEST on January 31st, 2015. The list will start being published in a separate thread as soon as possible.

Any questions?

EDIT: Voting has been extended indefinitely until I acquire enough votes so that every entry in the top 100 has at least two votes, then for one month after that point. If you are just now seeing this thread then disregard the January 31st deadline and keep sending them it. I'll edit this post again when I have enough votes to reinstate an actual deadline.

EDIT: Here is a list of users who have already sent in lists...

linespalsy
Miss Vicky
christine
Iroquois
Tacitus
Guaporense
Godoggo
Chypmunk
TheUsualSuspect
Camo
Holden Pike
Kaplan
jiraffejustin
Thursday Next
Slappydavis
Loner
gbgoodies
Zotis
cricket
honeykid
mark f

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
This is an awesome idea for a list. I've got a lot of album listening to do before January 31st.

What's the rule on live albums?

Welcome to the human race...
This is an awesome idea for a list. I've got a lot of album listening to do before January 31st.

What's the rule on live albums?
Provided they don't fall under any of the unallowed categories I mentioned in the OP, they're fair game.

A system of cells interlinked
Dammit Guap! Now none of my list for this will show up! He was a die hard metal head!
So am I! I will have plenty of metal on my list, believe me!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
All you people who posted on my punk & alternative thread better submit a list!

This will be fun compiling a list. Also, I think this may be the one list where predicting the top ten would be nearly impossible.

I might submit a list for this. I have a rough idea of what my list would look like now but I look forward to listening to a lot more stuff, Swan can help me out here

It's ok to have double albums tho right? Like the Beatles White Album or triple ones like Tom Waits Orphans?

getting only 25 albums on my list is awful hard. I reckon we could've done a 100 list each easy! I could do about 30 just of Dylans albums!

Chappie doesn't like the real world
If anyone is looking for recommendations, I have a ton. It Will End in Tears ~ This Mortal Coil and Treasure ~ Cocteau Twins.

If your looking for something harder Zen Arcade ~ Husker Du or Generation X ~ Generation X.

It really wasn't that hard for me. I mean, I left off a bunch of stuff I really love, but almost all of my choices were albums that I've listened to a ton for years. I have one double album but for the most part I prefer shorter albums; most of my picks don't exceed 45 minutes.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't know if I can do this. I tried to assemble 25 albums, I had way too many. Then I tried to assemble 25 artists/bands I wanted to represent, I had way too many. I don't know, man. This could be like pulling teeth for me. Also, vote for Pet Sounds and not the Beatles.