The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This is how I am. I hate the ending, but I don't care and put Lost high on my list (11) because I LOVED the ride. I got into it late in the game, during the last season, and for the time I was watching it I was pretty obsessed.
I knew that everything wouldn't be tied up neatly at the end, so I wasn't too bothered. How could it really? The writers had already admitted that they were coming up with stuff as they went along. That was part of the fun.

I got into it season two, but I went back and watched all of season one right before then watched it as it came on tv. At the time I worked with people that were really into it and we all couldn't wait to talk about it the next day.

Plus, it had Sawyer.

Well, Fawlty Towers hey? I never thought it'd be this high . I'd forgotten about it when I was wondering what would come next. It was my number 16.
I did love Lost while it was on, but sitting down to make my list I tried to think of things I'd watched, or would watch multiple times and I don't think Lost falls in there

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
14. Lost (2004 - 2010)
13. Fawlty Towers (1975 - 1979)

I didn't watch "Lost" during it's original run, but due to the great reviews of the show, after it ended, I bought the whole series on DVD, and watched it as a long marathon. Like most fans of the show, I loved most of it, but I was a bit disappointed by the ending.

I didn't include it on my list, but I'm not surprised to see it appear this high up on the list here.

I've never seen "Fawlty Towers", but it doesn't seem like my type of humor.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, Fawlty Towers hey? I never thought it'd be this high . I'd forgotten about it when I was wondering what would come next. It was my number 16.
I did love Lost while it was on, but sitting down to make my list I tried to think of things I'd watched, or would watch multiple times and I don't think Lost falls in there

That's basically the same reason why it didn't make my list. It's not the type of show that I would watch multiple times. I've seen the whole series once, but I'm not likely to ever sit down and watch it again, or even watch any of the episodes in reruns.

That's the reason why several very good shows didn't make my list. If a show isn't something that I would watch over and over again, it probably failed to make my list, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a good show, or even a great show.

Both were on my list, i had Lost at 10 and Fawlty Towers at 19. I think Swan and Godoggo put it perfectly, i loved the ride and at one point i was pretty much obsessed with it. Also even though i wasn't crazy about the ending myself i thought it was pretty much the best we could hope four. The first two seasons in particular were so perfect, imo it dropped off in quality after that but was stilll very good. Just thinking about it actually makes me want to rewatch it .

Fawlty Towers was just unbelievably funny, i always remember searching the TV Guide for UK Gold when i was a kid in the hope that it was on even though i had seen every episode multiple times. It really is a shame that the show was so short .

My List:

3.Mad Men
5.Sons of Anarchy
6.Community
7.It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
9.Dexter
10.Lost
12.Deadwood
13.The Shield
16.Batman TAS
17.Only Fools And Horses
19.Fawlty Towers
21.Curb Your Enthusiasm
24.The Twilight Zone
25.Friends

The People's Republic of Clogher
So that's your forgotten show? I really doubt mine will make it, and looking at my list it would have been my #4 or #5.

I'd probably have had Fawlty Towers in a top 30 or 40 but it didn't make my 25.

Liked the first season of Lost but started laughing uproariously in all the wrong places during season two so stopped watching. Even Evangeline Lilly's presence couldn't persuade me.

I didn't have "Fawlty Towers" on my final list, but it is one of the best comedies of all time, each of the precious dozen episodes a perfectly crafted two act chaotic farce. Not sure how it placed above "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on such a poll, but whatevs. And as much as I loved "True Detective", I wouldn't put any show on my list that has only had one season. What if the next season is dreadful?

Just realizing that the five left from my list that will make it are all likely top ten, and may be darn close to being the actual top five.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I wouldn't put any show on my list that has only had one season. What if the next season is dreadful?
I suppose it depends whether a second season is imminent or whether one season is all there's ever going to be. I wouldn't downgrade a one season shown because a second season might have been terrible if they had made one. Speaking of one season shows, still waiting for Firefly to show up (possibly in vain...)

Yes, I meant in its first season when more are coming. A show that was prematurely killed or that was designed to be only one season long is obviously different. There will be at least one more full season of "True Detective" so, for me, the jury is still out.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

I didn't have "Fawlty Towers" on my final list, but it is one of the best comedies of all time, each of the precious dozen episodes a perfectly crafted two act chaotic farce. Not sure how it placed above "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on such a poll, but whatevs. And as much as I loved "True Detective", I wouldn't put any show on my list that has only had one season. What if the next season is dreadful?

Just realizing that the five left from my list that will make it are all likely top ten, and may be darn close to being the actual top five.
Well, I prefer that to a series that starts well and then doesn't know when to stop. And if you analyze this list, 90% of the shows so far have that problem!

I have heard a couple critics make that point about season 6. I thought that was the whole point of season 6. Although I was watching Don fall into the same habits as previously, it still never felt repetitive to me. His progression away from Megan felt so natural. She never felt like a soul mate or someone who was going to tame him. She always felt like the new car that he would eventually grow tired of. Like how I imagine his relationship with Betty probably was at first.
^This^

Surely all this was foreshadowed when

WARNING: "Mad Men Spoilers" spoilers below
He started to fall for Megan? I thought that was the point? That he'd become a cliche and was dating/marrying his secretary. It was only ever going to end one way and season 6 was when they pulled the trigger

i guess that means no friday night lights.
Was FNL really that popular? If it was going to show up I'd have thought it'd be long ago. I really liked the show and I'd happily watch it all again, but it never felt like something that had anything more than a devout, but small, following.

No time for Lost (sorry) but I didnt' stick with it for long and I've said plenty of times how I went with that, so I won't bother.

I'm really surprised to see Fawlty Towers this high up. I thought it'd make the list, but top 50, maybe top 40 at best. And that would be relying on lots of high votes mainly from the Brits and/or Commonwealth countries. As it hadn't shown, I thought it hadn't made it.

For those unaware, this is a stone cold classic in the UK. I can't remember a time when this wasn't considered the best of its type and, even though I'm not much of a fan, I can always sit and watch any episode when it's on because they're so familiar to me. A bit like Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em. If this had just been a UK vote, I'd have expected this in the top 10 and nothing Monty Python would've come close to it.

Finally a show I've actually watched....Fawlty Towers...I use to watch that all the time on my local PBS station, back before cable. Very funny, witty show. Good to see it get some love.

I think it's a testament to the show that 'Fawlty Towers' has entered the English lexicon as a shortcut for a below-par hotel. I've got a couple of friends who run a B&B and I'll give you three guesses as to how I refer to their establishment, often to their faces.

Yep....

So that's your forgotten show? I really doubt mine will make it,
No I voted for Fawlty Towers. My forgotten one is never going to appear now so I'll give you a clue:

WARNING: "quotey spoiler" spoilers below
Fletch - "Do you know who made our raspberry blamange last week? Riggs and he's in here for poisoning"

Godber - "did he really?"

Fletch - "Yeah he's a cause celeb in his home town Newcastle under Lyme, come to think of it most his relatives are under lyme now"

Godber - "Is that why they call him arsenic Riggs?"

Fletch - "oh no, that's because he once sat on a razor blade"

No I voted for Fawlty Towers. My forgotten one is never going to appear now so I'll give you a clue:

WARNING: "quotey spoiler" spoilers below
Fletch - "Do you know who made our raspberry blamange last week? Riggs and he's in here for poisoning"

Godber - "did he really?"

Fletch - "Yeah he's a cause celeb in his home town Newcastle under Lyme, come to think of it most his relatives are under lyme now"

Godber - "Is that why they call him arsenic Riggs?"

Fletch - "oh no, that's because he once sat on a razor blade"
It's well inside my top ten.

My forgotten show's also a comedy, but a more modern one. Political...

It's well inside my top ten.

My forgotten show's also a comedy, but a more modern one. Political...
I'm glad one of us has a decent memory!

I think I know which is yours then

To make matters worse, I was staring at the boxset on my shelf when I was jotting down the beginnings of my list.

I've got at least 14 from my 25 which have no chance now, and 12 of them are British shows.