Famous Movie lines

Tools    

I've been having an argument with my teacher for the past couple months about the most well known line in cinema history. He says it is "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." said by Clarke Gable in Gone with the Wind
I say it is "Luke... I am your father" said by James Earl Jones in Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back

to help prove my point, half the kids in my Grade 12 class don't know the Gone with the Wind line (which is actually really sad i think because the movie is amazing) but everyone knew the Star Wars line.

but anyway, i was just thinking what you think the most famous movie line is and who is right between me and my teacher

try to not voice your favorite movie line, but the most famous and well known (unless your favorite IS the line you believe is the right one)

I think, once upon a time, the line from Gone With the Wind was probably the most famous... but it might be boiling down to a generation thing now... and if that is the case, there is a possibility the most famous now might even be:

"I'll be back"

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Actually, if I may get picky, Vader actually says, "No, I am your father." But it's all for the sake of context, really.

It's a tough call on which is more famous. "Frankly my dear" has endured about 70 years for a reason, but I reckon "I am your father" packed much more weight behind it (both within the film and without it).

"I am your father" is the cinematic equivalent of a sucker punch, one that left the entire world reeling with a twist they never saw coming and turned a seemingly ordinary fantasy series on its head.

"Frankly my dear" was a guy brushing off a girl who wanted him badly. And he said "damn" while he did it. To me, it only succeeds because it was the first line to do either one in an ambitious epic like Gone with the Wind, which would already stick in the public's mind for decades to come.

Tough call, but my vote goes to "I am your father".

In regards to other famous lines, who can ever forget those three magic words that have endured several decades of film history...

"Bond. James Bond."

Simple, yet effective.

I think it's a close call between "I'll be back" and "I am your father", but in the end, I think the Star Wars line is more universally known and therefore more popular.

Of course, if we were going for personal favorites I'd probably go with "Asphynctersayswhat?" or possibly "Who you gonna call?" or even "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries". But, hey, those are just a few personal favs

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

-- That's from the 1970 romance drama film Love Story.

"I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody"

Marlon Brando- On the Waterfront

"The Eye of the Enemy is Moving" -Legolas, Lord of the Rings

I'm not even going to bother to read the first post in the thread, I'm just going to randomly post a movie quote! Yippee!!!

"That's the fact, Jack!"
- Bill Murray, Stripes
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Braveheart is a favorite movie of mine. Had several memorable quotes. "you have bled with Wallace... Now bleed with me" "they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom" just to quote a couple.

I'm not even going to bother to read the first post in the thread, I'm just going to randomly post a movie quote! Yippee!!!
Me three!

"What we got here is failure to communicate."
- The Captain (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke
- later mocked by Lucas Jackson (Paul Newman)

Ahneeway, to get this truck back on the road here, if it's just simply a choice between those 2 then I would go with GWTW's line. I've never seen the entire film but I've heard the line more times than I can count. I'm not sure I would put "I am your father" in my top ten, but that's just me. Casablanca's "Here's looking at you kid." would probably me my #1 not that anyone's really interested.

Ahneeway, to get this truck back on the road here, if it's just simply a choice between those 2 then I would go with GWTW's line. I've never seen the entire film but I've heard the line more times than I can count. I'm not sure I would put "I am your father" in my top ten, but that's just me.
I agree.

"I am your father" is not even the most generally famous line from the Star Wars canon: "May the Force be with you" is. But "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" is famous to the point of total culture saturation. Even if an average High School student couldn't identify the source, surely by this point everybody has heard those words in some context, be it from a parodied source such as Bugs Bunny and onward to today.

"Eat my shorts."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries".
Monty Python and the Holy Grail FTW!

seriously though... thanks everyone for their input, even though it does seem to me that I am on the losing side, I won't give up and give my teacher the satisfaction!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
There was a list made not to long ago, and the GWTW won #1

Originally Posted by Lennon
There was a list made not to long ago, and the GWTW won #1
Yes. Well, all the AFI lists are flawed in some regard or another, and this one even more so. But for what it's worth...

AFI 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind
2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront
4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz
5. "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca
6. "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact
7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Blvd.
8. "May the Force be with you." Star Wars
9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve
10. "You talkin' to me?" Taxi Driver
11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke
12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now
13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story
14. "The stuff that dreams are made of." The Maltese Falcon
15. "E.T. phone home." E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!" In the Heat of the Night
17. "Rosebud." Citizen Kane
18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" White Heat
19. "I'm as mad as Hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Network
20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Casablanca
21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." The Silence of the Lambs
22. "Bond. James Bond." Dr. No
23. "There's no place like home." The Wizard of Oz
24. "I am big! It's the Pictures that got small." Sunset Blvd.
25. "Show me the money!" Jerry Maguire
26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" She Done Him Wrong
27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!" Midnight Cowboy
28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" Casablanca
29. "You can't handle the truth!" A Few Good Men
30. "I want to be alone." Grand Hotel
31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!" Gone with the Wind
32. "Round up the usual suspects." Casablanca
33. "I'll have what she's having." When Harry Met Sally...
34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." To Have and Have Not
35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Jaws
36, "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
37. "I'll be back." The Terminator
38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." The Pride of the Yankees
39. "If you build it, he will come." Field of Dreams
40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump
41. "We rob banks." Bonnie and Clyde
42. "Plastics." The Graduate
43. "We'll always have Paris." Casablanca
44. "I see dead people." The Sixth Sense
45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!" A Streetcar Named Desire
46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." Now, Voyager
47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!" Shane
48. "Well, nobody's perfect." Some Like It Hot
49. "It's alive! It's alive!" Frankenstein
50. "Houston, we have a problem." Apollo 13
51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?" Dirty Harry
52. "You had me at 'hello.'" Jerry Maguire
53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know." Animal Crackers
54. "There's no crying in baseball!" A League of Their Own
55. "La-dee-dah, la-dee-dah." Annie Hall
56. "A boy's best friend is his mother." Psycho
57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Wall Street
58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." The Godfather: Part II
59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." Gone with the Wind
60. "Well, here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!" Sons of the Desert
61. "Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Scarface (1983)
62. "What a dump." Beyond the Forest
63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" The Graduate
64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
65. "Elementary, my dear Watson." The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" Planet of the Apes
67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." Casablanca
68. "Here's Johnny!" The Shining
69. "They're here!" Poltergeist
70. "Is it safe?" Marathon Man
71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!" The Jazz Singer (1927)
72. "No more wire hangers, ever!" Mommie Dearest
73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?" Little Caesar
74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown." Chinatown
75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." A Streetcar Named Desire
76. "Hasta la vista, baby." Terminator 2: Judgment Day
77. "Soylent Green is people!" Soylent Green
78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL." 2001: A Space Odyssey
79. "Surely you can't be serious!"/"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley." Airplane!
80. "Yo, Adrian!" Rocky
81. "Hello, gorgeous." Funny Girl
82. "Toga! Toga! Toga!" National Lampoon's Animal House
83. "Children of the night; What music they make." Dracula (1931)
84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast." King Kong (1933)
85. "My precious." The Lord of the Rings
86. "Attica! Attica!" Dog Day Afternoon
87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!" 42nd Street
88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!" On Golden Pond
89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper." Knute Rockne, All American
90. "Martini. Shaken, not stirred." Goldfinger
91. "Who's on first." The Naughty Nineties
92. "A Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac…It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" Caddyshack
93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
94. "I feel the need; the need for speed!" Top Gun
95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." Dead Poets Society
96. "Snap out of it!" Moonstruck
97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you." Yankee Doodle Dandy
98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Dirty Dancing
99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too! The Wizard of Oz
100. "I'm king of the world!" Titanic

*compiled in 2005

"Savvy" - Pirates of the Carribean
"Great powers came from great responsibilities" - Spiderman
"I'm not a wiseman.. but I know what love is" - Forrest Gump

"Great powers came from great responsibilities" - Spiderman
It should read - "With great power comes great responsibility". Quite a different meaning when quoted correctly.

It should read - "With great power comes great responsibility". Quite a different meaning when quoted correctly.
Definitely....

Interesting list Holden... I would have thought "I'll be back" would have been in the top 20 instead of #37 though....