The Guild

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Hottie and SUPER talented Felicia Day has a project rolling
FD in my imageshack
that is starting to get well-deserved praise. It's called The Guild and is a collection of 4 - 5 minute episodes available for free on the internet.
, or you can buy it on a DVD and support freedom in the arts!, or you can watch it on their website, along with most of Season 2.

Day may be familiar as one of the Slayerettes from Season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or as the heroine in the Dr Horrible Sing-Along Blog web story, both by Joss Whedon. She's teamed up in The Guild with a few friends and created a really enjoyable web comic.

The story is about a band of online gamers called The Knights of Good and centers around Codex (played by Day), whose therapist has just dumped her because she refuses to work on her online addiction. <cough!>

The show has a home-grown feel in the first season. This is due in part to the fact it was grown in a home, but is also appropriate to the subject matter. Season 1 received a nice dollop of praise and awards, and brought considerable interest from funders for season two. Day held out for retention of creative control (go Felicia!) and the feel of the show is consistent, as is the funny. Highly recommended.

MovieForums Extra
Thanks Sammy. I just went to the website and watched a few episodes. I am now hooked.

Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
Oh I just love this series. I've been watching it on YouTube since the beginning and now I get to watch it in HD on xbox Live. Great Series. Felicia Day is a genius.
It was also wonderful to see her in Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog.

I love pretty much any series that ventures into the geeks word, but it really great to see one going into the world of MMORPG's and its players.
Go geeks!

"I can hear them.. it's good enough for the blind!" - Codex

I'm through the first few seasons of The Guild and I like it fine. Wouldn't say I love it, but viewed in context (IE: it's a web series), it's solid stuff. I'd say there's one really funny line per "episode," which is just enough to keep me interested. That said, whether or not I bother to watch more depends largely on whether or not it ends up on Netflix Instant, since it's not enough for me to go far out of my way to see, or to watch in front of a computer for long.

"So, what's it gonna be? Redemption...or rape?"

My brain is a pop culture emporium.
I caught this on Netflix a couple months ago(they have 4 episodes or seasons however you look at it, and I believe its still on watch instantly) & I have to admit I got hooked. Now I'm not a guy who plays RPG's or MMORPG's, Borderlands is as deep as I get in to that genre, but I still loved it. Granted, there were some times I didn't know what they were talking about, but it did not interrupt the story. It has a great blend of characters and reminds me of Revenge of the Nerds, because they are all so different.So I do recommend this nerd or not you'll have fun.

The Guild is awesome. The best web series out there, IMO, and I think it could even hold up against some TV shows in terms of quality. The only thing preventing it from doing that is the niche audience it attracts, but that also allows it to make those brilliant references only a select group of people will get.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
The Guild went to hulu earlier this month and was almost immediately their third most-watched show. The new season hit X Box today and will work its way through to more accessable media.

And if you're looking for a fun, non-jaded insider's view of Hollywood, I recommend following feliciaday on twitter. Doing so brought me great news from Comic Con last weekend: Joss Whedon was asked during a panel if there would be a Dr Horrible 2. His response: what you need to understand is... yes.