Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Phantom of Liberty (1974, Luis Bunuel)

Little Big Man (1970, Arthur Penn)

Kagemusha (1980, Akira Kurosawa)

L'Eclisse (1962, Michelangelo Antonioni)

Watchmen (2009, Zack Snyder)

The Naked Prey (1966, Cornel Wilde)

Safety Last (1923, Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor)

Killer's Kiss (1955, Stanley Kubrick)

Casque d'Or (1952, Jacques Becker)

Masculin Feminin (1966, Jean-Luc Godard)

Encounters at the End of the World (2008, Werner Herzog)

Lakeview Terrace (2008, Neil LaBute)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Nice little marathon right there, Haz. Slightly miffed you didn't like L'Eclisse a bit more though.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Man on Wire

There's been plenty written on this, so i'll just say the clownish protagonist is a fun companion, if undoubtably an arse too. You still can't help but get drawn into the story of pretentious daring-do, to the point where even a man 'dialoguing with a seagull' becomes impressive

++

I said this in a comment, too, but I was starting to think I was crazy for being the only viewer not to love Petit. What a relief.

Anyway, been watching a lot lately; saw the nine films below in about 12-13 days, I think. Not counting Funny People yet, as I'm gonna try to write a formal review. Here we go:

A History of Violence

Not bad. Really like the storytelling device of keeping the audience in the dark about Tom's past and whether or not the whole thing is a case of mistaken identity. It seems less impressive in hindsight, but I can't deny that I was pretty engrossed at the time. I admire its simplicity.

The Great Escape

Classic film based on a true story (loosely, I'm guessing) about escape attempts at Nazi prisoner camps. Netflix'd this at Courtney's insistence. Definitely a lot longer than it needed to be, but still a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I would've really loved this movie if it were 20-30 minutes shorter.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Documentary about the world of video game record holders. My rating for this isn't exactly fair, as it's a result of reading about the film and its aftermath. The director seems to more or less concede that he deliberately misled the audience about several things, but insists that the things they left out were more insulting to Billy Mitchell than the things they falsely insinuated. Very weird, to say the least. The little prologue was awfully tacked-on, too, but still strangely satisfying.

'Course, the whole thing's undermined when one learns that Mitchell re-claimed the high score title later on. But it still paints an interesting picture, even if it does seem as if it stooped a bit low to do so. I want to believe it's accurate, which says a lot about how well made it is.

Princess Mononoke

Epic story about man and nature, and probably the most respected example of anime, from what I've gathered.

I'm sure there are a lot of people here who love this film, but I just can't. I adored the first ten minutes, and really admire some of the stylistic flair, but I have a lot of trouble buying into the weird pseudo-philosophy. Roger Ebert praises it for what he sees as a high degree of moral nuance, and that's reasonable (and welcome), but I'm not sure how much of that is deliberate, and how much of that is just confused.

It also weirds me out when various characters simply declare that doing such-and-such will yield such-and-such result, as Ashitaka does near the end of the film in regards to the forest spirit. Random, crucial elements of the world's mythology crop up at the last moment, which seems sloppy, to say the least. And it's a little weird to have Ashitaka, an outsider to the world, directly contradict San about these matters. I've seen this in other examples of Asian animation, where the characters seem to possess an unexplained, sometimes inexplicable knowledge about the machinations going on around them. I suppose there's a cultural gap there, but it always irks me.

The Counterfeiters

A film about an expert countfeiter taken into custody during the Holocaust and forced to help the Nazi war machine forge pounds and dollars to cripple the Allies' respective economies.

Really enjoyed this. Hats off to this film for exploring a very specific type of moral quandry inherent in the Holocaust: do those in captivity have a moral obligation to thwart their captors at every turn, or is it better to do what they're asked if they believe it will increase their chances of survival? The characters wrestle with these questions, until eventually it becomes clear that there's no right answer. The only answer is that it is a crime against humanity to force people to make such decisions.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

A Woody Allen film about two girls spending the summer in Barcelona who are propositioned by a local man (Javier Bardem) and gradually succumb to his advances. Their love triangle becomes a love quadrilateral before long, and one complication is heaped on top of another.

Didn't love this one, but Allen does have a way of making me curious about how his films will end. He makes me think he's got a clear message in store, but it seems like he never does. I don't know if this makes his films better or worse, but I do think it stops this one from being especially great. Difficult to review, except in the abstract. If it's about anything, I suppose it's about how, no matter what craziness we experience, people don't usually change.

One unabashed positive is Penelope Cruz. She's really fantastic in this. Between this and Volver, I've come to have a lot of respect for her as an actress.

The Arrival

Sci-fi film about a possible alien conspiracy starring Charlie Sheen. Nothing terribly special, but I saw this when I was a lot younger and remember thinking it was interesting, so it takes on a special meaning for me that it wouldn't for others. Still think it's a tad underrated; there are a couple of silly elements, but it does have a neat twist or two. Worth seeing for a) Ron Silver wearing a fake mustache at one point and b) an assasination-by-bathtub attempt. Really.

Gosford Park

Murder mystery (of sorts) and period piece (1930s, I believe) from director Robert Altman. Not sure about the rating; I think I'll have to watch this again to form a better opinion about it. It's deliberately confusing over the first 45 minutes or so, so I'm not sure whether to judge it based on whether or not it does this well (it does), or whether or not I enjoy this decision (not particularly). I do like the way the mystery comes together (though I was able to predict part of it fairly early), and it's very well-acted. Definitely the kind of film that would benefit from a second viewing.

The Limey

Stylistic film about a man seeking revenge for his daughter's death from director Steven Soderburgh. Not sure if this should be
or not. I'm not nuts about the odd cutaways where a character's mouth moves while the audio plays something they said earlier (or later). It's just a tad overused, but I'll concede that it does force you to be a bit more alert about it, though it seems to mostly exist just to be different.

I like that the "villain" isn't really even remotely stereotypical. Most of its value lies in its direction, I think, and less in its actual story.

Just got through Diagnosis: Death

Heavily marketed on the back of Flight of the Conchords which worked, as i paid money for it, stupidly. Two of them have a scene each and Brett gets a few but they are literally cameos. None of the same humour or anything really to do with the show. Big disappointment. As a film, it's a very below average "horror/comedy". Which doesn't have really any of either. It's a very weak whodunnit with some ghosts and not much else. There's no glaring bad parts it's just painfully average with a frustratingly deceptive advertising campaign. Avoid

(Looses half bucket for advertising)

The Baader Meinhof Complex 2009

Uli Edel has quite a varied filmography (The Little Vampire) , it's obviously a step forward for this long time TV film director - but the movie cares too much about it's politics and not enough about the people.

Thank You For Smoking 2005

Now here's a perfect balance of politics and character depth ....

Ok, just wanted to ask, is there an edition out there with better subtitles? I was really unpleasantly surprised with the ones on this Criterion because they seemed so below their standard (a lot of the dialog isn't translated which I found very frustrating) but just when I wanted to bitch about it found out that Polanski himself did the translation. That was a really odd choice I think, especially since he did a pretty crappy job of it...:\

The film is very good incidentally, but I was so frustrated by the subtitles that I can't say I fully enjoyed the experience.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Don't worry pyro I'd have paid for it if it was on the back of a Flight of the Conchords box too. I love that show it was the only reason I rented Eagle vs Shark

last movie you watched type thread, i gather

knowing- B

harry potter and the half-blood prince- B/B+

So I did end up watching The Shocker (my girlfriend fell asleep) --- and, while my initial reaction was disappointment at its cheesiness, in retrospect I don't really mind and thought it was a pretty successful example of the genre. The "Sherlock Jr. sequence" near the end was particularly cheesy fun, and the chase through the park full of body-switching.

Watched Phantasm and Critters the other day. Critters was pretty uninteresting but Phantasm had some good stuff. I liked (this is something my girlfriend pointed out to me but completely true) how fearless and seemingly oblivious the protagonists are in the face of obvious danger. Kind of hardy boys-esque. fun movie.

MovieForums Extra
Apocalypse Now (Redux) - 1979 - Francis Ford Copolla - A

Even though this is not my favorite genre of movie, I absolutely enjoyed it. (I really don't like guns and blood and things blowing up.) It was truly a masterpiece. I can't believe, after living through the timeframe this movie covers, that I was so naive. What those soldiers went through. The characters, the camera work, fantastic. And the ending......it just blew me away. I thought it was the best part of the film. Amazing.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - 1962 - Tony Richardson - B-

Bad Boy starts bad, becomes good, then ?? Complex movie. "Conflicted and bitter, Colin must decide whether to nurture his ability as a runner or once again rebel against authority." Netflix review.

Get Carter - 1971 - Mike Hodges - C

This movie depicts the dark, mob filled world of Newcastle, England. Michael Caine's character travels to Newcastle to delve into the untimely death of his brother at the hands of the mob. I imagine this was considered pretty hot stuff back in the 70's. Not liking the ending so much.

I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

I decided to take a break from silent film and squeeze in this film noir starring Victor Mature (on what is apparently the tenth anniversary of his passing - August 4, 1999).

This was an entertaining film with an interesting plot and passable (but not great) acting. The film centers around the murder of an aspiring young model and the various people suspected of the crime. As each possible killer is presented, the movie effectively leads the viewer astray from the truth a time or two before revealing the real killer and motive. Overall, worth a watch, but the film does have one major drawback - its brevity. Clocking in at only 80 minutes, the film has to keep a good pace, but such a short amount of time leaves little room for character development. There are simply too many characters and too much going on to allow the viewer to make much of a connection.

+

Don't worry pyro I'd have paid for it if it was on the back of a Flight of the Conchords box too. I love that show it was the only reason I rented Eagle vs Shark
Took it back in the end but on the bright so got the excellent second season to get my Conchcord dosage

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
JCVD

I consider myself one of two here at movie forums who adore JCVD films. No matter how trash they might be, I always seem to like them, this is because of Van Damme himself, in all his goofy glory. I liked him as a kid, see my faults now, but still like his films. I can't say too much about his direct to DVD stuff, as I really never bother to go out of my way to rent them, but after viewing his latest, JCVD, my hopes of a return might happen. To what extent, that is to be seen.

In the film JCVD plays himself, with both tax problems and a messy marital fight over custody of his child. Things go from bad to worse when film roles that were his are given to Steven Seagal, because he cut his pony tail. Yet somehow he finds himself in an even worse situation, as a hostage in a robbery. The police outside think he is the one robbing the bank and thus creates the tension in the film. Van Damme, who is known for his splits and kicks, must finally 'act' in a film.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am impressed. The film is told half in English, half Van Damme's native language. This appears to make him more relaxed and he is able to simply fall into the role without worrying about how to pronounce certain words. Everything from him is more fluid and natural. The most moving scene is when he is physically removed from the post office and begins monologuing directly to the audience, asking for forgiveness and giving his views on life. This is a movie scene and Van Damme nails it very well. I didn't expect to see such emotion from him and applaud him for breaking the barrier that we held up against him. The scene plays out of context from the film, it almost seems as if he is asking us to give him a second chance, to comeback.

There is little to no action, so those expecting to see another Bloodsport movie will be disappointed. Instead we are given a heist flick, told from different perspectives and not in chronological order. This is used to pull the viewer in more, letting them know that there is more to this picture than meets the eye. It's been done before, but it's never boring here.

Van Damme does get a chance to show that he still has what it takes. He's able to still kick high and do what needs to be done. The situation doesn't call for this, but since he's playing himself it fits. The film manages to balance both comedy and drama very well. The opening scene is one for laughs, as Van Damme performs a long stunt, all in one take. To counter that, the final scene is almost a tear-jerker, yet the filmmakers find enough restraint to not let it go too far in that direction. A perfect ending for this movie.

I ask Van Damme fans to check this one out, if you haven't already. Even more though, I'm reaching out to those who don't really care for him to see this one too. You might be surprised, this is a really good film.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...

Tsotsi (Gavin Hood, 2005) -

Am I alone in thinking there is nothing particularly special about this film? Save for some interesting cinematography, some halfway-decent character development and a cool-sounding hip-hop soundtrack, I really don't see what the big deal about this film is, especially considering how it won an Oscar. The plot's rather predictable, as are most of the characters' actions. While there's enough style to keep it interesting, the substance isn't really anything new or special.

I've got three movies on tap that i'm recording. All first time viewing:

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Fight Club
Die Hard

can't wait

Aha, me too
A bit too melodramatic for my tastes at times, it's still an interesting look at a highly-strung theatre 'family', and all the dreams and ambitions boiling over therein.
-
I don't consider it melodramatic. It's based on a fairy tale (did Hans Christiern Anderson ever write nice stories?) and it's poetic justice...it just had to end like that.

'Life is unimportant!' Poor Boris. If this was a melodrama, Boris would have been totally heartless evil man but he's just got a passion that closes him off from life.

Definitely on my want list.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Tsotsi (Gavin Hood, 2005) -

Am I alone in thinking there is nothing particularly special about this film? Save for some interesting cinematography, some halfway-decent character development and a cool-sounding hip-hop soundtrack, I really don't see what the big deal about this film is, especially considering how it won an Oscar. The plot's rather predictable, as are most of the characters' actions. While there's enough style to keep it interesting, the substance isn't really anything new or special.
This plot has been totally played out.

Why not just spin a wheel, see what country it lands on, and go from there.

It took me four tries to make it through this.