Cloverfield

→ in
Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
ACK, finally finished reading all the posts on this as I really didn’t want anything to spoil this. Saw Cloverfield last night and totally loved it. Exhilarating and genuinely something ‘new’. Sure, I wouldn’t say it’s genius, but they are the first to try this out. Taking the Blair Witch Guerrilla style film making, an unknown cast, and blasting it with some incredible effects works excellently. The fact that you don’t have a well known cast makes the film that much more unpredictable, if it was someone like Will Smith or Tom Cruise in the lead, you would know for sure that the Monster would get some sort of ass kicking at some time and that most likely, the lead would save the world. But the fact you don't know ANYONE in this, it could have been any of them getting smooshed next. Brilliant stuff.

I found it quite stressful though. It was so intense from when it kicks off, I didn’t actually look away from the screen until the moment the monster roars at them when they run into the subway, and as I turned away to look at my friends, both of them were sitting staring at the screen with their fingers in their open mouths. Now if that aint a sign of a captivating film I don’t know what is.
(The montser) It was neither too otherworldly nor too sea-creature-ish to warrant outright comparison with other predecessors in its genre. At times, it came across as insectish, almost reminiscent of the spindly, ghost-spider apparition that guarded the bedroom door late in Poltergeist (at least in the way it raised itself to its haunches a few times). It was definitely a multi-dimensional beast.
Good point guys (You too Mr Toose, just couldn’t fit your quote in) I too loved the monster. From the first moment you get a good glimpse, when Hud is in the electronics store, and you see the monster moving through the city on the news, I knew this was going to be good. It is such a weird shape that it really isnt until the end - (and even then) that you really can understand what it looks likes properly or how it moves. Very gross though. I like this A LOT.
I also find it very striking how Adams portrays and relies on the modern day techincal culture. The people filming the head of the Statue of Liberty seconds after it came crashing down the street is hilarious. And to a greater extend of that, the fact that Hud feels a need to document everything, even when he is totally within the carnage. And finally, the fact that the clue at the end of the credits is backwards; he must have assumed that the movie was going to get bootlegged so that we would be able to reverse it.
Yeah I really liked this too. Abrahms is a clever guy and he utilises the internet and the pop culture obsession with home made you tube videos brilliantly. After the media success of 9/11, and the creation of YouTube, I know I have, and judging by the hit counts, a lot of people too, look at YouTube for first First Person POV footage of extreme disasters. Shipwrecks, building explosions, nuclear explosions AND 9/11. Its the ultimate source for morbid curiosity. And with Cloverfield thats exactly what makes it so fascinating. The first shot of the street outisde the shop after the dust cloud moves past screamed of 9/11 footage. I remember after the 7/7 London Bombings on the London Underground stations, the headline of The Guardian the next day read “WE ARE ALL REPORTERS NOW” above an image from someones phone of the panic in the burning tunnels as people were trying to escape. And Cloverfield is a good play on this current trend. It really connects with how terrifying it can, and would be for a ‘normal’ civilian to suddenly take it upon themselves to turn reporter and document whats going on.
I'm surprised no one in this thread has compared this movie's POV (knowing only what the main characters know) to War of the Worlds, which got picked on in some segments for also not telling us how the things got here and what was going on elsewhere (for the most part). In that movie as well, I thought that was actually a strength. And it had that same intensity of "all bets are off, survival is everything."
This was my exact thought when discussing it with friends. The single POV is a brilliant way to tell the story of a disaster movie. To truly experience the horror, is to have no frickin clue whats going on and it shuffles you along brilliantly with your onscreen victims. I MASSIVELY loved War Of The Worlds for this reason.
I wanna buy the soundtrack.
Do you mean the music from the party? If so, it’s a good song list and you can find it all over the web. But if you mean the Cloverfield Overture - ROAR! by Michael Giacchino that was playing at the end, MY GOD I loved it! Totally 1950’s sci-fi horror shlock! Brilliant! We stayed just to listen to it over the end credits. Giacchino is a fantastic composer, he is one of my favourites at the moment. The score for Lost is always fantastic, and he recently scored Disneys Ratatouille which sounded great. But im a big fan of his, and totally loved the end score. Check it out...

Lastly, I have two questions.

WARNING: "Cloverfield Ending" spoilers below
Has anyone got any proof of this footage of something falling from the sky at the end?

And

According to my brother who found it somewhere, the transmission at the end of the credits is backwards, and if played the right way, it says:

“It’s still alive!”

Is this true? If so, VERY COOL.

Lets put a smile on that block
Ah thanks Christine, i take it its the blob on the right hand side in the ocean. I've also managed to find the recording as well and it does INDEED say what i heard it says...backwards though. I think i have more than enough reasons to go see this again

I agree, the film is awesome. I've never seen a movie like this before...

Movie Forums Critic
not for me..I got dizzy after 30 mins. of watching it... very not so great IMHO.... a lot of review also says it was not that good...

Certifiably troglodytic.
not for me..I got dizzy after 30 mins. of watching it... very not so great IMHO.... a lot of review also says it was not that good...
Were you able to finish watching, despite the dizziness? If so, what was it that made it not so great for you?

Blib, when i watched it i knew about that ending thing so looked for it and it does definitely happen.

What's this ending noise stuff then? Missed that when i saw it

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Blib, when i watched it i knew about that ending thing so looked for it and it does definitely happen.

What's this ending noise stuff then? Missed that when i saw it
Its really easy to miss, as you have to stay for the entire end credits... AFTER they are all over, you can make out some scratchy sounds, like a poor quality recording, and someone saying something, and its pretty quiet (at least at the theater I was at it was). But unless you are Satan (or Sir Toose), you wouldn't be able tell what's being said anyway, since it is backwards, so its really not a big deal to have missed it in the theater...

Well, Yoda, your review was pretty accurate from my point of view. I think I was the only person in the theater that wasn't annoyed or driven to sickness by the shaky cam. But instead of drawing me into the film it made it seem, for some moments at least, like I was watching a bad home movie.
The plot was believable. I mean what group of twenty somethings doesn't include several unusually good-looking and romantically entangled couples? <that was sarcasm there> I didn't find any relationship believable, except the camera man's crush on the brunette. That was hilarious and very realistic.
Overall I give it a thumb up. Good suspense, especially with the ending. It was an enjoyable film.

I loved this movie so much. I had waited 7 months to see it and i definately wasn't disappointed. The handycam idea was brilliant and i believe it worked very well.

They added just enough humour to lighten the mood sometimes but not too much that it become a comedy.

Was well, worth the wait and definately worth the wait.

I as disappointed. There simply wasn't enough depth in the film. The characters just didn't deliver and the camera work did not help carry the story.

I don't know what everyone is so up in arms about. What were they expecting, some sort of revolutionary creature design? There are only so many permutations possible, people. I think it looks cool (and quite creepy), and if it's not quite as scary as it was in the movie, well, that should hardly come as a surprise.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, really. I mean, unless the thing is life-sized or something. I mean, maybe THEN you wouldn't need to cancel the preorders.

But man, the shipping rates are going to be murder.