Melinda Dillon RIP

Tools    

I feel terrible that I just heard about this and I haven't seen any other posts about it, but am I the only one who missed that Melinda Dillon, two time Best Supporting Actress nominee for Closet Encounters of the Third Kind and Absence of Malice and the lovable mom in A Christmas Story passed away on January 9th? She was 83. Her onscreen specialty was characters who were "a hot mess." Also loved her as Nick Nolte's mentally challenged sister in The Prince of Tides. Terrific actress...RIP.

I feel terrible that I just heard about this and I haven't seen any other posts about it, but am I the only one who missed that Melinda Dillon, two time Best Supporting Actress nominee for Closet Encounters of the Third Kind and Absence of Malice and the lovable mom in A Christmas Story passed away on January 9th? She was 83. Her onscreen specialty was characters who were "a hot mess." Also loved her as Nick Nolte's mentally challenged sister in The Prince of Tides. Terrific actress...RIP.

I must be getting old. I cannot imagine her as 83. She had a long enough life. I hope it was a good one. Supporting actors do a lot of heavy lifting. We don't appreciate them nearly enough.

Oh man, I'm ashamed---I read about her passing and meant to post it but RL got in the way. Thanks, @Gideon58 for taking care of business. I really loved her acting.

A few of my favorite moments of hers:

I couldn't post an image of her from Slapshot because of her only scene in the movie, which is memorable. Those who've seen it will know why.

Godspeed, Melinda! You'll be missed.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Melinda Dillon was an amazing actress. She and her "A Christmas Story" co-star Darren McGavin were in another movie, "Captain America" in 1990. She played Steve Rogers' mother during the 1940s setting and he played the traitorous General Fleming in the 1990 setting. .
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-06_18-18-11.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	91393   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-06_18-21-40.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	91394  

I adored A Christmas Story. She was so lovable in that.

It's one of those performances that get taken for granted. But she is incredibly good in it. The scene where she doesn't tell the father about the big fight Ralphie gets into, is a masterclass in acting