2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
For now I'm going with Spike Lee as my director because I wanted to diversify my picks compared to previous years (in the past it's been white Europeans like Fassbinder or Visconti or Malle), though I have noticed that there are currently a lot of Eric Rohmer films on MUBI so he'd make a worthy alternative. Picking Taiwan for the country because that way I can fit in a few directors who have strong but comparatively small filmographies like Edward Yang or Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I've definitely considered Eastwood because he's prolific and comparatively accessible, but as with quite a few candidates there's definitely the feeling that I've exhausted a lot of his good-to-great pieces and will be stuck going various mediocrities.

Also, regarding the category involving taking other people's suggestions...when do we do that? I'm sort of thinking up a list of titles that people can pick from and will put it up once I think it's good, but it'd help to have an idea of how many to aim for.

Also, regarding the category involving taking other people's suggestions...when do we do that? I'm sort of thinking up a list of titles that people can pick from and will put it up once I think it's good, but it'd help to have an idea of how many to aim for.
I figured that we could all each put up a list of 5 films. Or another way to do it could be that as we watch films, you put a * next to those that you would strongly recommend.

Yeah, maybe we all post five picks and Jabs adds them to the OP. Write up little blurbs so people know what they're getting into.

The trick is not minding
Ed and I just messaged each other and picked a movie we both hadn’t seen for each other.
I chose The Spy Who Came in from the Cold for him (great film from Burton)
And he chose Ride the Pink Horse for me.
I started mapping out my categories based on what is available on Amazon, Netflix and Hulu and from my own I watched collection. Subject to change depending on what gets removed from those streaming channels, obviously.

I aim to finish the regular mode by April at least.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Wylde messaging me was exactly how I got intrigued enough to join in on this. Cool bit of serendipity that. I'm heavily considering trying his recommendation for my first film of the coming year.

I'm going for France for my country as well. I've been enjoying a few older French films and this looks like an excellent chance to really broaden that. I'd be tempted to have Jean Gabin for my Actor, having discovered a few amazing films of his in the last two years or so. Though that would double up French films and this looks like an excellent opportunity to really expand my film viewing so I'll keep searching and simply add one or two of his into my French viewing.

Alright, I'll do this one.

Main Challenge  

Dunno if I'll get through the nightmare mode, but I'll try. Saving this for future updates.

Nightmare Challenge  

If one watches a movie that fits several categories, do you count it under all applicable areas or just plug it in for one?

I usually end up working off Wikipedia.

While I'm here, would the Muppets count as a film franchise with more than 5 sequels/reboots/etc?

The trick is not minding
Thanks, I tried that but they don't seem to include budgets for older films. Guess I'll save that entry for a more recent film.
I have a book about the history of the sci fi and horror double bills from 1955-1974 that is filled with Films that were under 1 million dollar budget. I can help with that. Many of them are available on Amazon Prime, of you have it.
It’s the source I’m using with a quick check on wiki, and found The Wasp Woman (my choice) and there is also others such as Earth vs The Spider that you can watch

Yeah, if it's just a matter of finding something under $1m then your best bet is to go sorting through anything that looks indie since those are the ones that are likely to have such small budgets. I settled on Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth (which is 30-ish years old, so not sure if you consider that sufficiently old).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Congrats @Captain Terror!
I'll have two to go; one for the Criterion List I already saw, but still, need to write up and Wylde's Recommendation which I'm starting in the next few minutes.

Yeah I don't know what I'm going to do with foreign films so I'm just going to keep a log right now and see how it turns out.

France - In the House (2012) - Kristin Scott Thomas
Indonesia - The Photograph (2007)
Italy - La Dolce Vita (1960)
Germany - Hannah Arendt (2012)
Germany - Vampyr (1932)
Germany - Woman in the Moon (1929)
South Korea - The Man From Nowhere (2010)
Spain - The Sea Inside (2004)
Spain - Live Flesh (1997)
Spain - All About My Mother (1999)
Spain - Broken Embraces (2009)
Sweden - Shame (1968)
Sweden - Aniari (2018)
Vietnam - Boat People (1982)