Infernal Affairs v. Departed
44.64%
25 votes
Infernal Affairs
55.36%
31 votes
Departed
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Huh? So you're saying that the filmmakers aren't professional enough to hire translators who can give an accurate representation of what is being said?
Actually (and sadly), that happens quite often with Asian films...the less popular ones at least.

fbi
Huh? So you're saying that the filmmakers aren't professional enough to hire translators who can give an accurate representation of what is being said?

I'd like to think that I'm bilingual enough to get by in a 'foreign' cinema without subtitles. Ok, maybe not Chinese, but I'm assuming that you're (or ur) generalising.

The amount of times that I've laughed at subtitle translation (or had it pointed out to me by a native speaker watching with me) can be counted on one hand. Usually you'll find that the 'mistakes' are just differing opinions on the occasional noun.

Ok then, you don't get my sense of humour. Don't fly off the handle by thinking I said that you don't have a sense of humour - I'd never be so presumptuous!

Just out of interest, what HK films would you recommend which have a better (i.e. not written by a '5 year old') dialogue and character development. I'd imagine that there are quite a few.
yes. thats exactly what i'm saying cos its true and i've seen it. Come on mate, Sometimes u just cant translate it exactly how it was spoken.

I gave u an example already. Slight changes and certain words makes all the difference in dialogue but can still convey the same meaning.

examples of what i regard as great Hk cinema. I'm going to get a lot of reactions from this i know but here goes.........

"An autumns tale" (chow yun fat and cherry chung 1983). Not sure if the year is correct.

"A moment of romance" (andy lau and wu tsien lien 1991).

"better tomorrow". Everyone knows this.

"wheels on meals" (jacky chan and sammo hung 1984).

"dragons forever" (jacky chan and sammo hung 1989).

will get back to u with more........

Actually (and sadly), that happens quite often with Asian films...the less popular ones at least.

exactly

fbi
No you're not correct. First off, Die hard is an action film slash comedy. Rambo is an action film that inadvertently became comedic. Big difference. Second, as I clearly stated, I don't think Infernal affairs is a classic, I think it's a very good thriller and an enjoyable watch. Scorsese on the other hand has made enough classic films to be regarded as a genius (even if I don't like his latest films too much). And last but not least, I don't think people who claim Rambo and Die hard are brilliant films (although the first installment of Die hard is a great and very influential action flick) are necessarily stupid. I think your post as a whole was pretty daft and presumptuous...However, I'll refrain from passing judgment on your intelligence...for now...

whether i'm intelligent or not is ur opinion. But u are obviously implying that i'm not with ur last sentence.

Die hard is a commercial action flick with a simple plot. But, it is character driven and has many layers. The execution of it was subtle which is why it is a classic.

An average action flick with no substance cannot achieve this status.
This is the same with rambo.

I'm actually gonna watch IA tonight and give it another go.

I think the acting in departed was better and wasnt as self conscious. charcters were fleshed out more. But it didnt have the supense that IA had.

the actors in IA were the opposite. They were too aware they were in a big budget flick and doing their best to win oscars. This showed.

However, the pace and suspense was better executed than departed.

whether i'm intelligent or not is ur opinion. But u are obviously implying that i'm not with ur last sentence.
Wrong again, I was merely saying I can't really assess your intelligence based on 2 posts.

the actors in IA were the opposite. They were too aware they were in a big budget flick and doing their best to win oscars. This showed.
Em...Oscars? It wasn't even nominated...
We're not talking about rookie actors here, both Andy Lau and Tony Leung have played in a fair amount of (big and low budget) films prior to IA, so I hardly think they'd suddenly become "self conscious".

fbi
No you're not correct. First off, Die hard is an action film slash comedy. Rambo is an action film that inadvertently became comedic. Big difference. Second, as I clearly stated, I don't think Infernal affairs is a classic, I think it's a very good thriller and an enjoyable watch. Scorsese on the other hand has made enough classic films to be regarded as a genius (even if I don't like his latest films too much). And last but not least, I don't think people who claim Rambo and Die hard are brilliant films (although the first installment of Die hard is a great and very influential action flick) are necessarily stupid. I think your post as a whole was pretty daft and presumptuous...However, I'll refrain from passing judgment on your intelligence...for now...
now, i cant sit here and take ur word for it. U obviously were implying i lacked intelligence with ur last sentence.
If u geuninely wasnt then u made the mistake of saying what u said.

if u dont want people to misunderstand u then choose ur words carefully.

Wrong again, I was merely saying I can't really assess your intelligence based on 2 posts.

Em...Oscars? It wasn't even nominated...
We're not talking about rookie actors here, both Andy Lau and Tony Leung have played in a fair amount of (big and low budget) films prior to IA, so I hardly think they'd suddenly become "self conscious".
i meant hong kong hong kong oscars. Awards in general.

and u overestimate the modesty of humans. Even great actors become big headed and start posing once they make a certain amount of films.

i feel chow yun fat is one of them and andy lau is definietly one of them.

check out andy laus "a moment of romance" (english name may have changed since) for his geunine acting. great hk cinema.

Ok, it's official, you are in fact, retarded. There, happy?

What are we arguing about here, you didn't like Lau's and Leung's performance, I think they did a decent job and no one's gonna convince the other party otherwise any time soon.

And if I want great Hong Kong cinema, I'll re-watch Happy Together or any other Wong Kar Wai film, doubt anything can top that any time soon. But thanks for the recommendation.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Sure that you're not just talking about a crap screenplay, my trilingual (?) Croat friend?

Ok, I'll concede that a small independent film which was never intended to be seen outside its home country MAY have hired schoolchildren to do the subtitle translation but if you expect me to swallow that, for instance, a mainstream thriller starring Andy Lau and Tony Leung has subtitles which alter the entire mood of the script then you must think I've got the throat of a gannett.

Let me go on record by saying that I do not have the throat of a gannett, or of any other seabird.

There are some chicken breasts in the fridge, though.

Infernal Affairs

Sure that you're not just talking about a crap screenplay, my trilingual (?) Croat friend?

Ok, I'll concede that a small independent film which was never intended to be seen outside its home country MAY have hired schoolchildren to do the subtitle translation but if you expect me to swallow that, for instance, a mainstream thriller starring Andy Lau and Tony Leung has subtitles which alter the entire mood of the script then you must think I've got the throat of a gannett.
I said it above, I haven't had too many nasty experiences with big films. I was referring to crap grammar on good, but to the western audience perhaps unfamiliar films...astonishing that anyone would put out a DVD with completely amateur translation, regardless of the "size" of the film.

(It's bilingual, but I'm working on the trilingual/multilingual part...)

For the record, every Cantonese movie I've seen with subtitles has had at least a couple of incorrect translations. Sometimes it's grammar, others it's a poor notion of artistic license and in some cases the literal translation makes no sense in English. It doesn't always affect the movie though. I'm just grateful that the technology has improved. Remember pan & scan? Tiny subtitles, always in white, embedded in the print and constantly getting cut off. Ugh!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I said it above, I haven't had too many nasty experiences with big films. I was referring to crap grammar on good, but to the western audience perhaps unfamiliar films...astonishing that anyone would put out a DVD with completely amateur translation, regardless of the "size" of the film.

(It's bilingual, but I'm working on the trilingual/multilingual part...)
We agree then! Kinda.

As Misterking says, sometimes the translators take a little artistic license, which isn't always a bad thing in my view. It reminds me of Kitano's R2 DVD release of Zatoichi compared to the theatre print I initially watched.

In the DVD Zatoichi was a 'masseur' and in the cinema he was referred to as being a 'bone setter'.

I much prefer 'bone setter'.

Nothing is as bad as the translation of the old Sega game Zero Wing, though, which contained such gems as:

All your base are belong to us!

Of coarse the Departed...I really like this movie...

Definitely, Infernal Affairs. And if you thought the first one was good, watch the other two... it's even better -- and delves further into the characters you've come to love and hate.
I agree. Infernal Affairs has the traditional Chinese buddhist principle. The cause and effect is reasonable. By the way, Andy Lau performs better.

Best wishes

DEFINITELY:

& No, I'm not just saying The Departed because of Leo I truely do love this movie it has got a brillant storyline & all the actors in it do a fantastic job