Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

If you didn't like those two you probably will not like this one.
Oh of course I liked them. But neither were great, for me. They're both in my 'very good films' category (Spirited Away I'd rate 8/10, while I'd give Kiki a slightly lower rating). I haven't seen Kiki in ages, and for years I considered it a guilty pleasure of mine, but I do not plan to rewatch it simply because I enjoyed it so much during the time I first saw it.

I saw Spirited Away less than a week ago for the first time, and although I didn't love every scene or every character - which for me is quite often the case with animated movies - I think it is better than Kiki because it is more unique. Its dreamlike atmosphere is mesmerizing. I have to admit though that whilst watching it, at some parts I had mixed feelings about the movie. But it's one of those movies you appreciate more after you have seen it. And who knows, probably I'll love it after another viewing.

But I hope My Neighbor Totoro will be better than both, and hopefully I'll include it in my 'great movies' category, that is 9/10 or higher.

Did you watch them dubbed? Because the dubb of Kiki destroyed the dialogue, Spirited Away was less damaged but serious appreciation requires viewing in the original language.

Also, I would add that Kiki cannot be a guilty pleasure since it is critically praised in Japan (rated as one of their top 100 fillms of all time) and a favorite among animation fans, one cannot characterize it as a guilty pleasure.

Finally, from my point of view, Spirited Away became a full blown masterpiece in the first 30 minutes on my first watch and by the end of it's 125 minutes it already was my favorite movie of all time. It's a stellar combination of good taste, elegance, complexity, beauty and power. But every man to his taste.

Try to watch his more mature works, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke, for a different shade of the same director.

Did you watch them dubbed? Because the dubb of Kiki destroyed the dialogue, Spirited Away was less damaged but serious appreciation requires viewing in the original language.

Also, I would add that Kiki cannot be a guilty pleasure since it is critically praised in Japan (rated as one of their top 100 fillms of all time) and a favorite among animation fans, one cannot characterize it as a guilty pleasure.

Finally, from my point of view, Spirited Away became a full blown masterpiece in the first 30 minutes on my first watch and by the end of it's 125 minutes it already was my favorite movie of all time. It's a stellar combination of good taste, elegance, complexity, beauty and power. But every man to his taste.

Try to watch his more mature works, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke, for a different shade of the same director.
No, I hate dubbing. It's one of the things that I hate the most when it comes to films.

Well, Kiki was a guilty pleasure for me, because I watched it by chance when I was about 12 or 13, because my then 4-year-old sister was watching it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have. And the main character was a girl, so I considered it a guilty pleasure at the time. Back then I had no idea that the movie was praised, or who Miyazaki was.

And I will watch all of them. Just taking it one step at a time.

Definitely considering checking out American Psycho. Interested in seeing how Christian Bale is as a twisted villain.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	american-psycho-uncut-killer-colle-large.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	10733  
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - T.E. Lawrence

And I will watch all of them. Just taking it one step at a time.
Indeed. It is good to not spoil too much. I made an error in watching all Miyazaki's movies over a 2 month period. Now I cannot have the experience of watching a movie of his for the first time until the end of this year.

Definitely considering checking out American Psycho. Interested in seeing how Christian Bale is as a twisted villain.
If you haven't read it I recommend the book by Bret Easton Ellis, the film is worth seeing but the book is so much better and graphic.

Amarcord, been meaning to watch it for quite some time now.

Master and Commander. I like this movie and want to watch it again tonight.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched Men in Black 3 last night, depending on whether or not I want to go to bed soon, I have my mind set on watching X-Men: First Class tonight.

Amarcord, been meaning to watch it for quite some time now.
What did you think? We tend to have similar opinions on Fellini movies.

Tonight:

For the first time!