Top 50 Tearjerkers

Tools    

Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
AHHH. WTF. . I hadn't seen the last one and probaly wasn't going to but still. That ruined it for me...
oh damn, I'm sorry. I should have put on the spoiler tags...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I've cried at three movies, and only one of them is on your list.

WARNING! All three of these comments contain spoilers

Braveheart-
The final scene where he yells "Freedom!" and Stephen puts his head down, always gets me. When Stephen puts his head down to cry, it shows that he knows it's over. I'm seriously getting chills just thinking about that scene.
Pay It Forward- The saddest ending to any movie ever. That movie broke my heart and had me crying for about ten minutes (I was 12)
American History X- I didn't cry until Ed Norton ran into the bathroom and started screaming. He made you feel like it was all so real. What an incredible actor.

Spoilers over

I live in Ohio and my mom graduated from a small town in Ohio, Fredericktown High School. She knew actor Luke Perry(star of 90210), and ever since I was little, we have always had one of his movies, probably his only movie where he plays the lead role. (atleast as far as i know).

Anyways, I don't know if anyone has suggested it, as I am sure not many have seen it. It is not a very popular movie, due to nobody really knows of it. The movie is called 8 Seconds. It is based on a true story of a bull rider (Lane Frost) who has struggles in his life, between love & marriage, friends, family, and rising to the top & being the best. It is truely a real tearjerker and I have never seen anybody watch the movie and NOT cry. Everytime I watch it, even though I already know what is going to happen in every part, it still hits me and brings out the emotions. I would definately suggest it to anyone.

8 Seconds Starring Luke Perry

No one has mentioned it and it is a very old movie from the 50s or 60s but it is a tearjerker and it is Imitation of Life

I agree with A.I., the last scene is very depressing indeed. Plus the performance of HJO was incredible.

I add Step Mom, overall it's not a very good movie, but there are many sad moments between Susan Sarandon and Julian Roberts.

Spielberg has never done this for me, and it seems like as I get older, the harder he tries to tug at my heartstrings, the harder they pull back. The end result is usually that my heart goes flying out the window and wallops some poor, blind, crippled cockney urchin in the face. Saving Private Ryan bored me almost to the point where I felt the need turn it off before the end. Haven't seen E.T. in ages. A.I. had some good parts but had at least 1 awful ending and cheesy half-hearted attempts at being dark and disturbing, like the wolf-motorcycles and the Ministry Concert. Used to like Temple of Doom but the last time I tried watching it I couldn't even make it to the end (same with Hook, it was the baseball scene that did me in). I'd like to think that I'd still enjoy Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Close Encounters and Jurassic Park, I'm kind of dreading the idea that they might not live up to my pleasant memories, but I'll give them a chance. I really liked Catch Me if You Can and was pleasantly surprised by Munich.

Still haven't seen Schindler's List.

My favorite tear-jerkers are:

Straight Story
Ikiru
Black Rain (Imamura)

Not sure about Grave of Fireflies, I'd have to see it again. I remember liking it, but finding it a little too much (like Barefoot Gen, the manga and the film).

Welcome to the human race...
At present, only one film has ever moved me to tears - Magnolia.

The ultimate tearjerker for me was Finding Neverland.

The first movie that really got me was Brian's Song - with James Caan and Billy Dee Williams. The end just got me.

Saving Private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
My Life
In America
Titanic
Terms of Endearment

Some of them I successfully fought back the tears but the movies were still jerking at them pretty hard...

http://truemoviereview.com/top-10s/t...is-summer-2008

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Brian's Song is a great choice, especially for us guys.

I was actually crying today at Berlin Alexanderplantz Part VIII, where Franz got his new girlfriend. That was incredibly sweet filmmaking, especially for Fassbinder.

1.Schindlers List, when Liam Neeson collapses, crying because he could've got more out....
2.Shawshank Redemption - If you don't tear up a little at that ending, you're dead inside.
3.Stand By Me - Favourite film as a kid, still up there.
4.Brokeback Mountain. Heath Ledger, at the end, with the coat. I'll happily admit to disliking lovestories, and being a mild homophobe, but damn.... my eyes was leaking....
5.I Am Legend - guy had to kill his dog. his only friend. Sniff!
6.In the Name Of The Father - when Gerry gets acquitted.
7.Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
8.ER - not a movie, I know, but when Mark Greene died, and Carter read out that letter, I blubbed like a girl.
9.Firefly, the out of gas episode.
10.Four weddings and a funeral - The WH Auden poem at the funeral....

First post complete!

Last movie that made me cry was "The Man From Earth"...it's the ending...it left me a total mess...

Also the end of Braveheart gets me every time!

ER really got me too. So sad with Mark.

Stephen King is #2 and #3 on your list... best writer of our time...

1.Schindlers List, when Liam Neeson collapses, crying because he could've got more out....
2.Shawshank Redemption - If you don't tear up a little at that ending, you're dead inside.
3.Stand By Me - Favourite film as a kid, still up there.
4.Brokeback Mountain. Heath Ledger, at the end, with the coat. I'll happily admit to disliking lovestories, and being a mild homophobe, but damn.... my eyes was leaking....
5.I Am Legend - guy had to kill his dog. his only friend. Sniff!
6.In the Name Of The Father - when Gerry gets acquitted.
7.Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
8.ER - not a movie, I know, but when Mark Greene died, and Carter read out that letter, I blubbed like a girl.
9.Firefly, the out of gas episode.
10.Four weddings and a funeral - The WH Auden poem at the funeral....

First post complete!

Chaiwriter.... not so sure about King being a "great" writer, he's good, but both movie versions were, imho, better than the written - not something you can often say, and a great reflection on the people involved! But if you like the Dark Tower King series, you should try the Song Of Ice and Fire, by George R R Martin. First books called Game of Thrones. Best. Fantasy. Ever. Very Byzantine, lots of scheming and great characters. My second favourite book/series ever, after To Kill A Mockingbird. And HBO just bought the rights!!

Man on Fire and American History X almost made me tear up.

Chaiwriter.... not so sure about King being a "great" writer, he's good, but both movie versions were, imho, better than the written - not something you can often say, and a great reflection on the

I get that all the time. Sorry, I'm just a big King fan. But I can't argue with the other POV. I taught English for 5 years and it always drove my fellow teachers a little crazy. But I would put Hemingway or Steinbeck above King in a heartbeat. I bet King would too.

I thought Shawshank was better than the story - Rite Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I re-watched a film that i watched as a kid over and over again and i was crying almost the entire time, and its not even that sad.

Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

Also:
Brief Encounter
The Lion King
The Lake house

#35 House of Sand and Fog - A woman accidentally gets evicted from her home due to an I.R.S. mistake, and a struggling Iranian family buys it and refuses to give it back. Ben Kingsley had me balling during the incident with his son. I was shocked at the ending and I cried throughout the film. Very depressing situation

--- Agree...is a pretty heartbreaking movie

I am Legend also jerked my tears.