Infernal Affairs v. Departed
44.64%
25 votes
Infernal Affairs
55.36%
31 votes
Departed
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Because the actor's in The Departed made it a better script because of the way they acted it out!
I don't think that's true. You can have the greatest cast in the world and it doesn't mean you're going to have the greatest movie in the world. The Departed is a good film but it's not a great one. The actors in Infernal Affairs in my opinion did a far better job of conveying the troubles in which the situation they were in would cause than anything Leo and Matt put across.

Did Scorsese deserve the Oscar for this movie? Maybe, but I don't think it was just this movie he got it for, it was nothing more that a celebration of his career. I mean come on, losing to Kevin Costner for Dances with Wolves over GoodFellas in 1990 is a black stain upon the Academy that they are trying ever so slightly to erase.

Or they would be if I was in charge .

HARDCAST OVERLORD
I liked Departed but I definitely prefer Infernal Affairs.

It could be because I saw The Departed first, but I didn't really care for Infernal Affairs. I don't think The Departed is a masterpiece, but still a very good flick. So, my vote easily goes to The Departed.

I've seen a lot of references to and praises for Infernal Affairs and I intend to watch it soon.

I see that Infernal Affairs is a trilogy. Are all three movies really good, or just the first one?

(At the moment I'm not interested in a comparison with The Departed. This was just the only open thread on Infernal Affairs that I could find)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Should the question not be whether Infernal Affairs 2 is better than The Departed? The second film being the one where the triads put a mole in the Police and vice versa.

I see that Infernal Affairs is a trilogy. Are all three movies really good, or just the first one?
Not as good as the first film but the whole trilogy is worth seeing. The second film, a prequel, is the weakest I thought.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's hard to say which is better, as I like elements of both. Some say that DiCaprio went too far over the top, in The Departed, but I felt that his acting was better than Tony Leung's. Tony acted like so calm and cool throughout it, that I didn't feel the same sense of drama with him, and what he was going through compared to DiCaprio's portrayal.

I prefer the Internal Affairs ending over The Departed ending. But I prefer how they made the two female characters into one character for The Departed. I also like Nicholson's performance better than the original actor (I can't remember his name).

One of the biggest detractors of the original is that it suffers from cheesy dialogue compared to Scorsese's. I don't know Cantonese, so I am only going by what the subtitles were giving me, but the dialogue just seemed really cheesy or bad at times in comparison.

Like for example,

SPOILER

In The Departed there is the scene where after Quinan is killed, that Costigan and all the other goons are hiding out in the hideout, and Delahunt, says to Costigan "I gave you the wrong address, but you went to the right one", and then Costigan grabs his gun, worried he is going to now have to shoot his way out if Delahunt yells out that he is the rat. But Delahunt is too weak to yell and dies right then.

That was a moment of true suspense.

But in the original this moment doesn't happen, and all the Delahunt character says is "That masseuse you go to... She better not look like a pig, otherwise it's not worth it". And then he dies.

I'm thinking what, that's the best the writers' got? Huh? Even though Infernal Affairs is the original, I feel the remake improves, on a lot of little things, like that, just adding more and more suspense, in comparison.

I am Chinese, and I think The Departed is way more supreme than Infernal Affairs 1.

Most of my Chinese friends don't agree with me, who cares, what do they know about movies?

I haven't seen Infernal Affairs. I may have said this before but for years and years i thought it was called Internal Affairs. According to wiki the Chinese title is The Unceasing Path (maybe Dirk can confirm that, wouldn't be surprised if it was inaccurate) i like that title better.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, that title does a better job of reflecting the kind of Zen philosophy that informs the characters' psychology and narrative development. A big problem I have with The Departed is that it effectively drops all that for some considerably less interesting Catholic-themed notions of guilt and redemption.

I like The Departed a fair amount but i kinda think i like it the way i liked the Star Wars Prequels as a kid: remember the few "cool" moments then forget everything else.

i've seen The Departed twice and i can still only remember a few scenes and that Leo's performance was distractingly bad.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't think this is a particularly tough question to answer on my end. I own both of them on DVD (I also own the 2nd and 3rd Infernal Affairs) and I find that The Departed is a much superior film. Although, it wasn't until my second or maybe third viewing that I feel like I really appreciated it fully as one of my personal favorite films. Infernal Affairs definitely should be afforded brownie points for being the originator of the idea, for which, a better (in my opinion) film was made, but I didn't find it to be very good of a film overall.

Internal Affairs