Where do you place numbered titles in your collection?

Tools    

Where do you place numbered titles?
61.11%
11 votes
Separately (before "A")
0%
0 votes
Separately (after "Z")
22.22%
4 votes
Alphabetically
16.67%
3 votes
Other
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Welcome to the human race...
I'm considering re-organising my collection and it made me wonder if people had opinions about where to organise titles that begin with numerals (e.g. 2001: A Space Odyssey, 12 Angry Men, etc.) Do you separate them out from the rest and place them either before A or after Z? Or do you arrange them alphabetically by how said number would be spelled out in letters (e.g. 2001 being treated as "Two Thousand And One" and filed somewhere between Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and Unforgiven)? Or do you do something else?

I currently have them arranged alphabetically, but I'm considering swapping to one of the separate categories.

I moved my DVD shelves into the attic and haven't looked in awhile, but I'm pretty sure I spell out the numbers and organize them alphabetically, too.

But I keep big box sets (mostly TV shows) at the end.

Before A, in numerical order

My own goes like this:

12 Angry Men
30 Days Of Night
47 Ronin
A Nightmare On Elm Street
A Quiet Place

Next comes the question of where you put movies that start with ' like The 'Burbs.
Is that before the numbers, or in the B section? Maybe just cut the confusion and stick it in T because it starts with The

Alphabetically/phonetically.
So 3:10 to Yuma is with the T's.

But I do have my live action films and animated films organized separately. My live action blu-rays are also separated from the live action DVDs and my TV shows are separate as well. I need to get rid of 90% of the TV shows that I own though, since several of them I never finished/quit watching after several seasons and others only had the first couple of seasons released on DVD.

Before A, in numerical order

My own goes like this:

12 Angry Men
30 Days Of Night
47 Ronin
A Nightmare On Elm Street
A Quiet Place

Next comes the question of where you put movies that start with ' like The 'Burbs.
Is that before the numbers, or in the B section? Maybe just cut the confusion and stick it in T because it starts with The
I ignore the article or there would be hundreds in A and T. So A Nightmare on Elm Street would go under N for me.

Nooo! Cat, you weird, girl!

A Nightmare and A Quiet Place go in the A section.
You have to count the first "A" as A

Agree with the "anything beginning with The goes by the second word" thing though.
So:
The Abyss is A
The Crow is C
etc

But yeah, a singular A has to be in the A section.

Saying that though, another complication comes from series with different titles.

Like, The Lord Of The Rings, and The Hobbit... do you separate those two, and put 3 of them in L and 3 of them in H?
I have all 6 together under J for Jackson at the moment. I did have them under M for Middle Earth for a while though, then under T for Tolkien. Then I swapped them around several times before getting annoyed with my OCD and settling on J.

Or the MCU... Captain America in C, and Iron Man in I?
I got all mine in the M section for Marvel.

Another problem could arise from the chronology of the movies within a series too.

I mean, example is my LOTR and Hobbit discs...

Does LOTR go before Hobbit? I mean, they were made first... or do you put The Hobbit movies first, as that's the correct chronology for them.

Choices choices.

It really depends on the genre/title and what my shelves look like.

12 Angry Men - is at the start of Noir
30 Days of Night - is under T in my lesser Horror
28 Days Later - is at the start of my top notch Horror shelf
28 Weeks Later - is before A and after the horror collections in my lesser Horror shelf
2001 A Space Odyssey is under K for Kubrick with the directors box sets.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm only just now wondering how to accommodate titles that start with a number that's spelled out in letters like Se7en or Five Deadly Venoms.

I spell out the numbers and organize them alphabetically
I have never thought of doing this. And now that I have, I still won't.

Titles beginning with numbers go before the letter A. The only thing I separate is the Movies from the TV Series.

On a related note, I ignore "The" in the title, if the movie begins with "The".

You have to count the first "A" as A
Originally Posted by Rodent
Agree with the "anything beginning with The goes by the second word" thing though.
Your opinions are wrong. You should be banned.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Some people have their collection on their shelves, some in their cupboards. I have mine in my heart.

Which is a less than perfect excuse for not having one at all.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I used to arrange by theme rather than lettering.. for example I couldn't have Pulp Fiction next to Police Academy.. it would have to be next to Killing Zoe
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I used to have my collection ordered but now I have them in any old, higgledy-piggledy order and dotted around the house. This was a deliberate move on my part so people at my wake would have something to do whilst getting rat-arsed. Or after getting rat-arsed. Not really fussed either way tbh.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
As a designer, I sort by color so that the shelf is clearly structured for an aesthetic appeal. For example, the red band includes: The Last Dragon, 30 Days of Night, Jet Li's Fearless (not to be confused with Fearless with Jeff Bridges as that's a different color of the spectrum entirely), Akira, House of Flying Daggers, and 40-Year-Old Virgin as a transitional copper color. The Last Dragon does have a black bar behind the red font of the title, so in this case I do sub-sort by visual weight and mass. 30 Days of Night follows with the next heaviest black font title while Jet Li's Fearless has an orange-to-yellow gradient in the title setting up perfectly for the lighter, white font of House of the Flying Daggers.

I also have my PS3 "greatest hits" red box cases in the mix when necessary for color balance or to create a sort of anti-aliasing effect in transitional color blends.

Have fun with THAT, Rodent, The. ;P

Couldn't @ that format so @The Rodent for functionality.