Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
#98.
The Edge of Seventeen

(dir. Kelly Fremon Craig, 2016)

1 x 5th, 1 x 17th
=
30 points

I watched The Dead Girl for one of the Hall of Fame threads but it didn't even cross my mind when compiling my ballot. I barely remember it now.

Looking back at my movie log I see I gave it a pretty decent rating, but also described it as "a film with a very good concept but disappointing execution" and I said it had "layer upon agonizing layer of depressing," so I don't think I would have voted for it if I had remembered it.

Seen both voted for neither. I liked The Edge of Seventeen quite a bit just not enough to make my list, Steinfeld is an incredible actress hope she starts working with some of my favourite directors. The Dead Girl was nominated for a Hall of Fame i was part of here, kinda hated it tbh.

Seen: 3/4
My List: 1/25

25. Je,Tu, Il, Elle

Looking back at my movie log I see I gave it a pretty decent rating, but also described it as "a film with a very good concept but disappointing execution" and I said it had "layer upon agonizing layer of depressing," so I don't think I would have voted for it if I had remembered it.
Felt like a Lifetime Movie with a famous cast to me, also didn't think most of them were good. Get why people would like it though.

The Edge of Seventeen is a pretty solid coming-of-age story, but I didn't consider it anything too special.

Never heard of The Dead Girl before this countdown and that trailer really doesn't seem to do it any favours.

I had The Edge of Seventeen as my #17. It was not on my radar until it was recommended to me by Captain Spaulding. It turned out to be just one of a few female coming of age movies that I voted for, and it features one of my favorite performances from Woody Harrelson.

I also watched The Dead Girl for that Hall of Fame and didn't think much of it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Whatever, These two are decent. I apparently accidentally deleted my list but I didn't vote for any yet.

Private Parts is the first film I've seen from this countdown. It's been 15+ years since I saw it but I kinda remember it being quite good.
Ditto. Private Parts is the first film I've seen on the countdown. I remember liking it, but it's been 20 years since I seen it. Wasn't on my list.

I have Mudbound, in my Netflix DVD queue. Looking forward to that as I love period piece films.

i had mudbound at 15 and woulda had the edge of seventeen at 12 if i realized it had a female director at the time.
criticker

Seen neither. Watched a few clips from Howard Sterns shows and don't think he's funny, but who knows maybe i would if i watched a full show or maybe the movie is funny. Really like another film by Dee Rees but i never got around to Mudbound.

BTW, i'm keeping up with a list on Letterboxd like i did during the last Countdown. Like i said then i'm basically only doing it to keep track of how many i've seen but if anyone wants to do the same here it is:

https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...cted-by-women/

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Yay, it's finally here!

And off to a good start with Now and Then.

I had it at #25 on my list and honestly thought it would be a one-pointer as I don't think I've ever seen anyone else talk about it. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever written anything about it myself. I don't know how it would hold up today and I'm almost afraid to find out, but this was a really important film to me when I was about 12 or 13. I saw it several times at the cinema and it just seemed like this idyllic sort of coming-of-age summer with friends. So I have nostalgia for the 90s about this film which is about nostalgia for the 60s. Or something.

Haven't seen any of the others so far.

I saw Mudbound and liked it but ultimately did not vote for it. Have not seen Private Parts and can't say I have any particular interest in doing so.