The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown: Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Who’s the favorite to get the most movies on the countdown, Bigelow? I’m thinking she could get 6.
Penny Marshall should score highly with Big, Awakenings, and A League of Their Own.

I think Bigelow will have: Near Dark, Point Break, Strange Days, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit. Detroit is the only one of those i think has a chance of missing and that would only be because it's from last year.

Think the only definites for Sofia are: The Virgin Suicides and Lost In Translation. Marie Antoinette, Somewhere and Bling Ring all have good chances but they aren't conventional and/or crowd pleasers like Bigelows films, they are all polarizing so wouldn't be surprised if any of them missed.

All three of Lynne Ramsay's have a good shot of making it, not counting her newest as it won't be widely available til after the deadline.

Three of Andrea Arnold's features will most likely make it with only Wuthering Heights missing unless there's fans of that here. Honestly there's a few Wasp fans here i wouldn't be that surprised if that also made it if we end up with a low amount of lists.

Nora Ephron should have Sleepless In Seattle and When Harry Met Sally, also think Silkwood has a chance and maybe there's fan of some of her others.

I'm just hoping a few of Varda and Denis' films make it.

Hey, in case nobody mentioned it, don't forget Jennifer Lynch for Surveillance (2008)!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nora Ephron should have Sleepless In Seattle and When Harry Met Sally, also think Silkwood has a chance and maybe there's fan of some of her others.

Nora Ephron didn't direct When Harry Met Sally and Silkwood. She wrote them, but When Harry Met Sally was directed by Rob Reiner, and Silkwood was directed by Mike Nichols.

She directed Sleepless In Seattle, as well as You've Got Mail, Julie & Julia, Bewitched, Mixed Nuts and Michael.

Nora Ephron didn't direct When Harry Met Sally and Silkwood. She wrote them, but When Harry Met Sally was directed by Rob Reiner, and Silkwood was directed by Mike Nichols.

She directed Sleepless In Seattle, as well as You've Got Mail, Julie & Julia, Bewitched, Mixed Nuts and Michael.
Must have looked at her writing credits by mistake. I knew Reiner directed When Harry Met Sally as well, wasn't thinking.

Screw it, I've decided to do female-only votes. You can offer up mixed-gender movies as honourable mentions in this thread, but I'm just going to make a snap judgment on this one (and yes, this means that directing teams consisting solely of women are eligible - so yeah, you can still vote for The Matrix).

I'm thinking of pushing back the deadline a bit by a month max, but we'll see what other people have to say about that.
Why isn't this in the first post? It's confusing when the first post says there will be two separate countdowns, but then when you scroll to the second page of the thread you see there'll actually only be one.

Welcome to the human race...
Why isn't this in the first post? It's confusing when the first post says there will be two separate countdowns, but then when you scroll to the second page of the thread you see there'll actually only be one.
Because I forgot to edit the original post. Thank you for reminding me.

Which director should i focus on next? Have either finished or nearly finished: Lynne Ramsay, Sofia Coppola, Kelly Reichardt, Elaine May and Andrea Arnold. Also seen a fair amount from: Agnes Varda, Katheryn Bigelow and Claire Denis, would like to move on from them for now at least.

Which director should i focus on next? Have either finished or nearly finished: Lynne Ramsay, Sofia Coppola, Kelly Reichardt, Elaine May and Andrea Arnold. Also seen a fair amount from: Agnes Varda, Katheryn Bigelow and Claire Denis, would like to move on from them for now at least.
Have you conquered Jeanne Dielman yet?

Have you conquered Jeanne Dielman yet?
She's someone i was considering. Got No Home Movie to watch, a lot of Akerman's films seem pretty hard to track down. Will probably go for Jeanne Dielman but i'm kind of dreading it even though it's probably good.

She's someone i was considering. Got No Home Movie to watch, a lot of Akerman's films seem pretty hard to track down. Will probably go for Jeanne Dielman but i'm kind of dreading it even though it's probably good.
Check it: Dielman Thoughts

Planning on watching four Chantal Akerman films for the Countdown. News From Home, No Home Movie and Jeanne Dielman, what should the other one be for anyone familiar with her? Sole directed so it qualifies for the countdown.

Decided on Je Tu Il Elle. Skipped through it to make sure the subs were working and Chantal was crawling around a dark, dilapidated room naked so it should be interesting

Halfway through my current Akerman watches. After those i was planning on watching La Ciénaga, The Holy Girl and The Headless Woman from Lucrecia Martel. Anyone seen them? What do you think?

Mostly bumping this to keep it on peoples minds as it's getting close to the deadline.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw La Ciénaga and The Headless Woman and gave them both
6/10 which means you could give them anything from 1 to 10, but I think ypu'ld give them higher than I do.

Don't know if i'm going to be able to find The Holy Girl with working subs so unless Zama becomes available soon i'm done with Martel. Any other director suggestions? I like focusing on specific directors but at this point i may have to just start going for random films. Got Strange Days and Tomboy to watch next. Don't have a clue what the latter is but it looked kinda interesting.