The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women Countdown: Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

It's great and was my nomination for the B Movie Hall of Fame.
I'll watch it before the deadline. The production history is hilarious so even if i don't like it it will be funny to see what the complaints were over.

For the past few Countdowns i've made a Countdown Recommendations Thread with the recs kept in the first post. Do you guys think i should do that again or is it pointless? I think it's probably pointless haha.

For the past few Countdowns i've made a Countdown Recommendations Thread with the recs kept in the first post. Do you guys think i should do that again or is it pointless? I think it's probably pointless haha.
I see no harm in doing it for this one as well - a few that I've watched in the past I wasn't aware were directed by a female (it's not something I ever particularly took much notice of outside of the 'big' directors) .... q.f. Fish Tank & Red Road.

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe if you split the recommendations by genre and possibly style/mood that'll give people an idea of what to expect.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Screw it, I've decided to do female-only votes. You can offer up mixed-gender movies as honourable mentions in this thread, but I'm just going to make a snap judgment on this one (and yes, this means that directing teams consisting solely of women are eligible - so yeah, you can still vote for The Matrix).

I'm thinking of pushing back the deadline a bit by a month max, but we'll see what other people have to say about that.
Okay, Thanks for making a decision.

I think a Countdown Recommendations Thread is a good idea.

Not gonna lie, when Camo went "oh I guess this means I can't vote for these movies now" I looked at his choices and thought "damn, those are some good choices that are going to miss out" but such is the problem with making a firm decision. Like I said, those films can get their due acknowledgment just by being openly considered for the countdown.

I'm fine with that, those films are well known and they are all on other Countdowns so it could possibly mean exposure for lesser known films.

Will probably make that thread later.

How about movies directed by transgender directors before they became transgender? I think its natural to include movies directed by transgender directors after they changed gender but not before.

Also, I recommend A Silent Voice by Naoko Yamada, she also directed K-On!, easily my favorite female director and I think it's the only female director with a movie in my top 100.

@Iroquois

Are TV movies allowed, or only theatrical releases?
I would allow them - a movie's a movie. You can message me the titles and I can double-check them if you'd like.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Iroquois

Are TV movies allowed, or only theatrical releases?
I would allow them - a movie's a movie. You can message me the titles and I can double-check them if you'd like.

Thanks.

There are a few TV movies that I'm considering for my list, but the ones that are most likely to make my list are:

Finnegan Begin Again (1985)
The Late Shift (1996)
The Ron Clark Story (2006)
When Billie Beat Bobby (2001)

That reminded me of:

https://mobile.twitter.com/meninisttweet/status/659481024183824384

Because the Matrix is probably going to win this, since it is the most popular English language movie directed by women.
Don't count on The Matrix winning. Not everyone likes that film, and I'm not voting for it as IMO they were not women at the time they made it. But anyone can vote for it, if they want. I might vote for Speed Racer as bestest ever

Yup. The big question is how many mixed-gender movies would be in the running anyway.
If this is a women's director list, I'd say, as long as they were a woman when they directed it, it's eligible. The whole transgender thing seems bit of a monkey wrench, and a thing to get knotted up about. Wendy Carlos scored The Shining in areas, not Walter. A woman composer. Keeping it simple, so you can sleep at night.

Who’s the favorite to get the most movies on the countdown, Bigelow? I’m thinking she could get 6.
I think Sofia Coppola will be in with a chance of getting the most films on the list

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Who’s the favorite to get the most movies on the countdown, Bigelow? I’m thinking she could get 6.
I will have 4 Bigelow flicks. One won't make it though.