Terminator Genisys

→ in
Tools    

555, I agree about your comment and spoiler comment. There was so much happening that I couldn't keep up with anything properly. That's why I say it wasn't boring, but at the end of the day I had no time to take anything in.

This is what happens when you try to make a direct sequel that's also a reboot. It just ends up twice as messy as before. A bad idea is a bad idea.

This wasn't as bad as I'd feared, but it was also more frustrating than I expected because it had some genuinely good ideas. I think it would've been better served by developing one or two of them, rather than just throwing a bunch of new stuff in there without giving any of it the attention it deserved.

Definitely pleasantly surprised by some of the concepts, though. Great ingredients, undercooked.

I enjoyed Terminator Genisys far more than I expected I would. I didn't mind the film's big twist (would have been a big shock had the trailers and TV spots not blown it well beforehand), and actually thought that it could have been something that would have worked very well had they done a better job of setting it up.

Ultimately, though, I was able to enjoy it simply because it's always fun to see Arnold back in his iconic roles. The Arnold vs. Arnold fight was, albeit far too brief, a great moment, and I thought, despite some odd choices by the writers, the chemistry between Arnold and Emilia Clarke was pretty good and really drove the movie forward. Could it have been better? Absolutely, but for what it is, I can't get too upset with it, especially considering the two films that came before it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just saw it and I feel like maybe it's the worst Terminator movie in the whole franchise. People complain about how bad Terminator 3 and Salvation are bad, but at least they had plots that actually made more sense from beginning to end, where as this one is all over the place, that left me with more questions than answers.

does anyone agree with me that jay courtney is just cringe worthy and was only trying to get in the pants of sarah connor XD
A baby-faced Sarah Connor who looks like she should be getting ready for a prom date unlike the hardened paramilitary character that Lind Hamilton trained like a madwoman to deliver in looks and performance. Some 8-ball headed actor trying to pass of John Connor,
this is my biggest issue with the film

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One thing that bothered me about the movie is how Sarah was reluctant to tell Reese that he dies after they get together, and they have a big emotional moment over it. Since they changed that timeline completely, the chances of him dying after conceiving John are no more higher than anything else, so she shouldn't be so paranoid that he was going to die, if they got together at all.

Sarah does this throughout the movie, and thinks, this is suppose to happen, that is suppose to happen, etc.. Where as she doesn't realize that so much of the original timeline is changed, that all that stuff from the first movie doesn't matter anymore much.

Also why is it that they decided to move judgement day to 2017, instead of 1997? I feel that they should have just stuck with the original story and kept it in 1997. Then when they stop judgement day, the post apocalyptic 2017, changes into normal 2017 of today.

It s funny i think someone here said: kyle reese was acting as if he wanted to get laid with sarah , or it was the actor that he felt he was acting like lol.
My main gripe with this film is that the whole atmosphere and cinematography, there s absolutely no dread feeling, the music is just plain bad, the whole atmosphere will never equal terminator 2....unfortunately, that s a different beast directed by a different beast altogether

Looking back at Genesys, it's still bad, but it's kinda grown on me given that they actually tried something a little different with it.

I still think Courtney as Reese was a big mistake. Jai Courtney in any movie is a mistake though, I don't get why studios are trying to make him happen.
Going back to my original post in here, they shoulda cast Yelchin in the role again. He was perfect as young Reese. He looked right, had the right physique, sounded right, and the dude could act.

But, I think what gives Genesys some leverage in the Terminator stakes... is Dark Fate.
A movie so bad that it made Genesys look like a masterpiece.

T2 > T1 > Salvation > Genesys > T3
I watched Dark Fate once... and thought about giving it a second shot, but I only got about 20 minutes in. I refuse to watch Dark Fate again.

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
1) Emily Clarke is no Linda Hamilton. Linda trained like crazy to get into great shape to be a believable female bad ass and be a credible threat and had the screen presence to pull it off. If the Terminator rescued her at a young age Id expect her to have been trained up to be at least equal if not even better than Linda was in T2. She looks too soft and baby faced (although she is loads better than the little girl in dark fate and i still burst out laughing at her wielding the large weapon at the target practice scene).
2) Jai Courtney is a terrible choice for Kyle Reese. The man simply can't act. He was ok in Spartacus but rubbish at pretty much everything else. He was too muscular to be believable in a future where I think most gyms would be closed and protein shakes unavailable lol. Michael Beihn was the perfect Kyle with his haggard battle worn and rather ematiated appearance and his scared personalty which was believable with Anton Yeltchin a close 2nd.
3) Arnie himself I'm sorry to say was too old to play the role anymore and since T3 had started the horrid trend of trying to add more humour into it which just didn't work.
4) They also made John Connor the villain. The less I say about that the better.
5) They had too much time travel in the movie. I actually lost count of how many time jumps there were.
6) There was no sense of dread at all in the movie.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

More entertaining than it probably has any right to be.

"We even have pants, Kyle Reese"

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol. reading moviefan555's spoiler text, I tried to remember if Connor had a thin-lined, black goatee like Mirror Spock. It's been a while since I've seen this one.

Also, @Tugg your reply on the top of page#2 had me confused for a moment too! I didn't realize you were replying to "555" and read that as Thai and thought wow, I had no idea you were Thai! They use "555" for "lol." I guess that's what I get for reading threads backwards. oh well. btw, I've cut out coffee completely. That might explain some of it?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think the course of the Terminator franchise is probably more interesting than half of the films in it, at least from the perspective of production facts and curiosities. For most of its duration, it's been a constant attempt to jumpstart the franchise by doing something "different", but at the same time trying to bring in old audiences by keeping some anchors to the original(s), however misguided they might be.

The fact that it has been pretty much handed from studio to studio like a hot potato just makes it a "sadder", but also a more interesting story, again, from the perspective of production. Every single studio that has taken the IP has bankrupted because of it, forcing them to hand it over/sell it to someone else, which hasn't really allowed for any narrative cohesion at all. It's a pity.

I think the course of the Terminator franchise is probably more interesting than half of the films in it
I agree with this completely, and it's very elegantly put.

I am weirdly invested in the canon of the series, even while I find a lot of the more recent films extremely bad. Dark Fate was kind of okay, but none of them have been good since T3 (which is WAY better than it has any right to be, I'll defend that one to the death).

I kinda want people to keep trying, though.

I agree with this completely, and it's very elegantly put.

I am weirdly invested in the canon of the series, even while I find a lot of the more recent films extremely bad. Dark Fate was kind of okay, but none of them have been good since T3 (which is WAY better than it has any right to be, I'll defend that one to the death).

I kinda want people to keep trying, though.
Totally agree, top to bottom.

Welcome to the human race...
It s funny i think someone here said: kyle reese was acting as if he wanted to get laid with sarah
Bruh, you said that.

does anyone agree with me that jay courtney is just cringe worthy and was only trying to get in the pants of sarah connor XD