Your biggest cinema-related frustrations

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
This is another thing I love about you Citizen...you are one of the few regular posters on this board who is actually aware that there were movies made before 1980.
What I like about you, Gideon, is that you're one of the few regular posters on this board who is actually aware that MoFo existed before 2010. Nobody revives 13 year old threads quite like you

I would have to say when the only seats available are the seats right in front of the theater.
My number 2, next to the tragic fate of Erich von Stroheim

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
The Oscar's apparent disregard for animation, especially anime has always bugged me. I know the Best Animated Oscar is fairly new but since then Spirited Away in 2001 is the only non-American film to win (Frozen over The Wind Rises? ). Then there are great movies like Wolf Children and the Madoka series that don’t even get nominated. Also, only 3 animated movies have gotten best Picture nominations (Beauty and the Beast in 1991, Up in 2009, and Toy Story 3 in 2010) and no wins.

The point is, every time anyone green lights a film they're taking a gamble, but there are tons of things they can count on to hedge their bets. One of them is sticking with what works. If we wanted "original films for wider audiences" we'd actually go see them. Unfortunately, hundreds of millions of people are going to see The Avengers this summer and, shocking to no one, they're going to make a dozen more of those films. Hell, even you went to see it and you didn't hate it. What are you griping about at all?
Yeah sometimes I will go to a blockbuster if it interests me. That doesn't mean though that I just want those and don't want more original releases.

I also do try and go to see the more original/unique ones any chance I get. Even ones that no one else went to see like Dredd (2012) I think I still have the 3-D glasses with "Dredd" on the side of them lying around somewhere.

The Oscar's apparent disregard for animation, especially anime has always bugged me. I know the Best Animated Oscar is fairly new but since then Spirited Away in 2001 is the only non-American film to win (Frozen over The Wind Rises? ). Then there are great movies like Wolf Children and the Madoka series that don’t even get nominated. Also, only 3 animated movies have gotten best Picture nominations (Beauty and the Beast in 1991, Up in 2009, and Toy Story 3 in 2010) and no wins.
Hollywood rewards what Hollywood does. This complaint can be generalized for anything non-Hollywood

Hollywood rewards what Hollywood does. This complaint can be generalized for anything non-Hollywood
I agree, you shouldn't watch the Oscars expecting foreign films to win or be widely recognized outside the "Best Foreign Film" category.

The Cannes Film Festival is the event to pay attention to for foreign films. Particularly what wins the Palme d'Or.

Don't really know any big award events for anime/foreign animation though.

Huh?

I don't see that trend at all. I'm always quite impressed with how knowledgeable MoFos are about older films, foreign films, and obscure titles.
Seconded.

My favorite movies of all time are 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria. Oh, wait, no one knows that because I haven't listified my life...

I agree, you shouldn't watch the Oscars expecting foreign films to win or be widely recognized outside the "Best Foreign Film" category.

The Cannes Film Festival is the event to pay attention to for foreign films. Particularly what wins the Palme d'Or.

Don't really know any big award events for anime/foreign animation though.
Ehh, Cannes is good because of the sheer volume of films they show, but you need to be understanding of what winning the Palme d'Or actually means. It's highly dependent on the president of the jury what will win. When Tim Burton was president a 'weird' movie won (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall Past Lives, when Steven Spielberg is president a superficially radical movie that's actually years in the past wins (Blue Is the Warmest Color), when Clint Eastwood is president a highly violent films that uses the star personas of its actors as key concepts in the film wins (Pulp Fiction). This year the judges are the Coen Brothers, so I think we can throw anything that's sincere and reverent to its characters off the table for the Palme d'Or.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Remember your signature, bluedeed - I shall almost always be wrong, when I conceive of a man's character of being all in one piece.

Ehh, Cannes is good because of the sheer volume of films they show, but you need to be understanding of what winning the Palme d'Or actually means. It's highly dependent on the president of the jury what will win. When Tim Burton was president a 'weird' movie won (Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall Past Lives, when Steven Spielberg is president a superficially radical movie that's actually years in the past wins (Blue Is the Warmest Color), when Clint Eastwood is president a highly violent films that uses the star personas of its actors as key concepts in the film wins (Pulp Fiction). This year the judges are the Coen Brothers, so I think we can throw anything that's sincere and reverent to its characters off the table for the Palme d'Or.
I say Clint Eastwood was right!

Seriously though, I get what your saying. I trust the Coens to pick a good one that's deserving of the Palme d'Or.

Remember your signature, bluedeed - I shall almost always be wrong, when I conceive of a man's character of being all in one piece.
I was picking examole that are easy to follow and fairly direct (sometimes reductive) for illustration purposes. De Niro was head of the jury for The Tree of Life, and don't ask me to explain that one

my biggest movie frustration is the nowaday spiritless, soulless action movies we get, very little i mean very little action movies have some rewatchability, no soundtrack no lasting appeal to most of the action movies only a handful are good, and only the directors who directed these movies in retro style fashion. long are gone the action movies like tango and cash, broken arrow, face off , bad boys etc. all those had fantastic soundtracks man.

Not meeting a group of well informed and nice people like you guys before now - that is my greatest frustration. You've opened my eyes to films that have not only expanded my cinematic knowledge, but have influenced my way of thinking.

Welcome to the human race...
my biggest movie frustration is the nowaday spiritless, soulless action movies we get, very little i mean very little action movies have some rewatchability, no soundtrack no lasting appeal to most of the action movies only a handful are good, and only the directors who directed these movies in retro style fashion. long are gone the action movies like tango and cash, broken arrow, face off , bad boys etc. all those had fantastic soundtracks man.
Do you mind if I ask what recently released films you consider spiritless/soulless (aren't those the same thing, though?) and also what new films you consider the exception?

Seconded.

My favorite movies of all time are 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria. Oh, wait, no one knows that because I haven't listified my life...
Tsk tsk... You better get on that.

The constant remakes and reboots, I'm sick of it.

I've learned to get over most of my frustrations. I don't let the fact that popular movies usually suck bother me. I've found enough good movies to satisfy myself for the rest of my life. A couple things I haven't gotten over are being forced to watch crappy movies with other people who insist on watching them, with numbers on their side, overruling my say in situations where I can't just leave, and also hearing ignorant people trash on great movies. Oh, and I hate getting into awkward conversations with people with horrible taste. I always end up insulting them, or pressuring them too much. It sucks. Now that I think about it, I've only gotten over some of my issues, not most of them.

I think there's enough great movies still being made by great directors out of the 'mainstream market' that means I don't particularly care if these people are making poor remakes/sequels/reboots, I don't know why people see it as stuff they are forced to watch and waste time caring, to be honest.

I agree Daniel. I think there is more then enough for every taste. Most here know I not a horror fan. There are a ton of horror movies that come out every year. I just don't go see them. They can put out two a week for all I care.

Those are all pretty bad movies to me. I think what happens with action films, this will upset some people, is they are mostly made for high school boys. So you love the ones from your generation and hate the ones they make now. In the late 80's early 90's me and my friends would eat up a lot of those movies your talking about. I revisit some of my favorites like Face/Off, Commando, Predator, and the Rambo sequels and they are not good movies. They just hit the right people at the right time.