→ in
Tools    

^Oh dear god... That was beautiful. I salute thee, Yoda (and whoever wrote that). Man, that just made my day.

I saw Avatar in 3-D a week or so ago, and and would rate it
+

Whilst I found the visuals stunning (a huge compliment considering I loathe CGI); the hackneyed dialogue and story were often cringeworthy. So much so that the cinema audience groaned in unison on more than one occasion.

Having said that though I found myself completely entranced by the emmersive beauty of Pandora. Indeed I've read newspaper articles about people who've suffered depression since seeing the movie (I'll let you do the jokes) because they want to stay there. Whilst I'm certainly not one of those people I can kind of see where they're coming from, because my overriding memory of Avatar is of something enchantingly beautiful; even if the story is nothing more than a tired melange of films like John Boorman's The Emerald Forest, and Costner's Dances With Wolves (to name but a couple).

Was i the only one that was singing ride of the valkyries when the gunships took out that huge tree? xD

(in avatar)

I was kind of doing noises then mr picky. :P

Welcome to the human race...
Why is this thread in General Movie Discussion? I'm assuming it has something to do with a moved post.

Can I just say, I completely agree with everything Chris said (about the predictability of the plot, including the final shot) but I still found the film to be very entertaining and satisfying (I saw it twice in the theater which I've only done with the LOTR films, and I thought it was equally satisfying the second time around). I really don't know how to explain it other than the really stunning visuals overpowered everything and that, as someone else mentioned already, there's enough (rather nifty) details and ideas which destract you from the rather weak writing and story in general. Also, the last hour or so is just brilliantly directed action. Maybe it's not such a flattering thing to admit to, but I found myself completely swept with the goings on, as predictable as they were, it was still emotionally engaging
WARNING: "Avatar" spoilers below
(did anyone not have a big smile on their face when the animals came to the rescue?.
So, artistically, I suppose I would give it about the same rating, but sheer entertainment wise, it's a
It's kinda contradicting, but I had a similar experience with Mamma Mia, which had a much stupider plot but the music overrode everything and I ended up having a really good time at the theater. I even own the DVD...(:

Haven't seen avatar yet... Sad... But, me thinks, I would like Wolfman better.

I just watched this epic today. as blind fan of James Cameron I was expecting something beyond imagination. and undoubtedly hes succeeded to entertain me. Movie is after all entertainment

I always like the theory of Cameron's visualization of Human vs Extra Ordinary powerful species/objects drama. No one can do it more accurately like him.

Easy flow of character which is suitable for people of all classes throughout the world. Viewers don't find problem to read em

My rating:
+

-mb

Yeaaah, about the plague called Avatar.
I saw it like 3 weeks ago with my mom, she loves technology, so she did appreciate the special effects. So did I, after all in college we study special effects for cinema and it was hard for me not to say "wow" at some point.

Besides the special effects, the best thing about the movie is that it ended.

3/6

Yeaaah, about the plague called Avatar.
I saw it like 3 weeks ago with my mom, she loves technology, so she did appreciate the special effects. So did I, after all in college we study special effects for cinema and it was hard for me not to say "wow" at some point.

Besides the special effects, the best thing about the movie is that it ended.

3/6
Actually, I agree with magic boy.
Basic scenario - yes. The movie is a cliche, but can we really judge it becouse of this. I don't think so. For me the visual effects are not the best part. I liked the idea of the physical connection between all living beings. It's emotional, easy to be understood and "green". I loved it. If we are not looking for new ways to say "peace", what are we doing? Or this mission is for Disney and documentaries only?

My rating: 5/6

Are the special FX really that much better than, say; Yoda in Revenge of the Sith, or, say, Golem?

Are they? I see nothing new aside from more time spent coloring. Just more time spent on facial animation.

The art is nice, ILM and Weta rock, no doubt about that.

http://www.ilm.com/

http://www.wetanz.com/weta-workshop-services/

Having these two companies on your team and $200 million - a even a I could make a pretty flashy movie.

Actually, I agree with magic boy.
Basic scenario - yes. The movie is a cliche, but can we really judge it becouse of this. I don't think so. For me the visual effects are not the best part. I liked the idea of the physical connection between all living beings. It's emotional, easy to be understood and "green". I loved it. If we are not looking for new ways to say "peace", what are we doing? Or this mission is for Disney and documentaries only?

My rating: 5/6

What bugs me with movies of such nature, is that they are born as a business idea, and realized as such. It has very little to do with art and cinema and a lot to do with business. The film makers I truly admire do not follow this path of success. They create movies for the art of it, not for the money records at the box office.
I am not saying that I don't like Avatar, because the movie made 12398408092 billion dollars, hell no!
I am just not into the mass hysteria type of movies, where 5 rednecks walk out of the cinema and think "Yeah, I got it now, we should drive Toyota cars from now on (because there was something green in Toyota's advertising on the TV the other day)". Like Carlin used to say - it's all bulls*it folks, and it's bad for you.
Never liked a James Cameron movie and never will. I did not care about Titanic, and did not cry when Leo froze to death

Avatar is good, though, for all the money spent on this production, it was going to be a crime against humanity, if it sucked as a vacuum cleaner.
It's as the English say...not my cup of tea

I am burdened with glorious purpose
wow, reading this thread, and not being able to see Avatar (don't ask), should we all feel sad this will overtake Titanic in domestic gross by Wednesday?

Is this about expectations or is the film not really worthy of all this money?

Eh. It's obviously a big success, but as I mentioned in another thread, it's only breaking these records because of a failure to account for higher ticket prices, the increasing popularity of 3D/IMAX tickets, and above all else, inflation. It's among the more successful films of all-time, sure, but in terms of things like tickets soled, or inflation-adjusted gross, it hasn't even cracked the top 20 yet.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Are the special FX really that much better than, say; Yoda in Revenge of the Sith, or, say, Golem?

Having these two companies on your team and $200 million - a even a monkey could make a pretty flashy movie.
I think there is a huge difference between the Na'vi and Yoda from the Revenge of the Sith. As well as Gollum. They are clearly CGI, whereas in Avatar, there are many scenes in which you can't tell the difference. To ask the question are they really that much better than Lucas' lame choice to turn Yoda CG, is (imho) an insult to the animators.

And having the two together doesn't always equal a flashy movie. Eragon anyone?

And I think that every time that someone talks about Box Office with Avatar, they feel the need to mention inflation and 3D/IMAX ticket prices, yet any other film that makes a ton of money (Transformers 2) they fail to mention it. I think that you take away from some of it's success. Even if you cut the film's box office take in half, it's still a big success.

Suspect's Reviews

The following is a list of people who worked on Avatar. You will see almost every big CGI film listed on their credits.
- note that much of the art is inspired or directly taken from earlier work by Syd Mead and Ron Cobb.

Todd Cherniawsky (supervising art director)
Kevin Ishioka (supervising art director)
Kim Sinclair (supervising art director) - that's right, the art director from Willow and the birth of CGI.
François Audouy ... concept artist
Jim Charmatz ... conceptual design
Ryan Church ... concept artist - HELLO
James Clyne ... concept artist
Dylan Cole ... concept artist
TyRuben Ellingson ... concept artist
Kasra Farahani ... concept artist
Gus Hunter ... concept artist - duh! Eragon!
James Lima ... concept artist
Victor James Martinez ... concept artist
Steven Messing ... concept artist
Neville Page ... creature designer
Erin Palmer ... miniatures
Craig Shoji ... concept artist
Daphne Yap ... concept artist
... among several hundred other animators and scultors and builders.