→ in
Tools    

Well, this should be fun. I think we're going to find a 2-D screening somewhere. I am not a fan of 3-D and wish it would have stayed dead and buried. I completely agree with your gripes about in general Chris. To me, 3-D is just a way to take your mind off the fact that it's usually a pretty crap film you're watching, so, yeah.

Just a thought too Chris, it seems to me that if you're already thinking about seeing the flick again then a
is probably pretty right on. As you know I've probably seen more than my fair share of
to
movies and when I do I tend to not think about seeing them again for quite some time. Anyway, just a thought. We are after all, different people. Weird, right?

Yeah, that's a pretty fair point. There are a couple mitigating factors: namely, that I'm unsure of how much the 3-D may have affected my opinion (I don't think it's much, but you never know), and that it's been awfully well received in general, which is enough to make me think twice. That, and things are always a little slanted when you go to a Midnight showing. I don't fall asleep or anything, but it's conceivable that it could hurt a film's attempts at generating excitement.

You could certainly be right, though; a bump to
is totally plausible. And given how many things I ended up complaining about, the rating is almost all on the strength of the visuals (with a few coold ideas sprinkled in), which is rather impressive when you think about it.

Yeah, I tend to think this one is going to be a little like Speed Racer was for me last year. Light on Story but absolutely eye popping, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it lands in the
to
range.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm not a fan of 3-D films either, but I honestly believe it adds to the experience of this film.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts from a 2-D screening.

Suspect's Reviews

Just saw Avatar in 3-D yesterday and it was extroadinarily stunning. Although, the picture would have been still visually breathtaking two-dimensionally. Nominated for three Golden Globes this year, including best director and best picture, Avatar stands on its own as a true cinematic epic. I'm looking forward to James Cameron exploring other worlds in the sequels. As well as the eventual DVD/Blu-Ray release next summer.

I give Avatar

I don't like to ask too much of a movie. I like to pigeon-hole movies into specialized categories because asking for everything in one movie is too much in my opinion. There are some movies that I watch for a comprehensive plot and complexity and then there are movies like Avatar which I watch for pure entertainment and don't really expect much more than that...

If I was to vote purely on a 'how much fun I had watching this movie' factor I would have to give it a 9.5/10. Seriously, it was that good to me. It has been a few days now since I've seen it and all I can think of is how much of an eye orgasm the CG was to me. I'm usually very quick to complain about bad CGI or even notice CGI when others don't but, like others have said, after 5 minutes, I didn't notice much at all and this is a huge rarity.

I found myself promoting this movie to people that didn't even ask about it. Go watch it.

In the Beginning...
Here's the link to my review:

I don’t have to much to add on whether or not Avatar has met or exceeded expectations. Really, expectations have a way of growing so large that measuring the film’s success in relation is almost impossible. Suffice it to say, Avatar is surprisingly very good, and uses its assets as smartly as you could ever hope for in today’s overblown, banal adventure-blockbuster genre. [...READ MORE]

thanks for these reviews! i'm seeing it in 3-D this weekend

Big Chico's Movie Blog
I’m truly stuck on where to start this review for “Avatar”. Do I talk about the unbelievable cinematography, or about the mind blowing world James Cameron made for us to be enveloped in. For those of you who have been living under a rock the last year and a half here is a synopsis for the movie:

When his brother is killed in battle, paraplegic Marine Jake Sully decides to take his place in a mission on the distant world of Pandora. There he learns of greedy corporate figurehead Parker Selfridge's intentions of driving off the native humanoid "Na'vi" in order to mine for the precious material scattered throughout their rich woodland. In exchange for the spinal surgery that will fix his legs, Jake gathers intel for the cooperating military unit spearheaded by gung-ho Colonel Quaritch, while simultaneously attempting to infiltrate the Na'vi people with the use of an "avatar" identity. While Jake begins to bond with the native tribe and quickly falls in love with the beautiful alien Neytiri, the restless Colonel moves forward with his ruthless extermination tactics, forcing the soldier to take a stand - and fight back in an epic battle for the fate of Pandora. Written by The Massie Twins

Most of my reviews have a good and bad section in them, but this movie twisted my brain upside-down and sideways. To start, the world Cameron created was like nothing I have ever seen in a movie. Usually when you watch a sci fi flick you will think at least once “I saw that in Star Trek or Star Wars had a town that looked just like that.” In Avatar everything is new, from the aliens, the plant life, to the weapons used; it’s all newly created for the movie. The world is alive through the whole movie and that fact is conveyed to the audience through bright neon on all the plant life. Even when someone steps on the ground, a faint glow appears under foot. The indigenes animals created for the movie are spectacular. Deadly at the onset of the movie you learn later on how they are all part of the Na’vi and their culture. You will not be able to take you eye’s off this new world that has been brilliantly brought to life.

What can be said about the acting in the movie? Every character fit together like one of those Russian Nesting dolls. If you were to take one of the characters out of this movie the whole thing doesn’t work. Cameron meshed the best actors with the most fitting roles. Sigourney Weaver as the idealist scientist who created the Avatar program captivated you with her ability to steal every scene she was in, but what do you expect from the queen of the sci fi genre. What I was most happy about was the acting of Sam Worthington. To date the only thing I had seen him in was Terminator Salvation, and by the end of that movie I was hoping Christian Bales character would die and Worthington would survive. He was fantastic, he made you feel his deep division of conscience between being a good Marine and doing what is morally right. There is one performance in the movie that will go completely under the radar, but I think needs to be mentioned. That’s the role of corporate goon played by Giovanni Ribisi. At first he comes off as your stereo typical corporate lap dog, but if you watch his eyes and body language, he tells you he’s not O.K. with what’s going on and is towing the company line at the expense of his soul.

The story line is a hotly debated one. Even today in church I had people with differing views of the need for force. I’m of the mind that Hollywood is finally getting hip to the idea that as a nation that uses force to end disputes isn’t always the right way. Do we all need to be tree hugging hippies that don’t embrace any use of force? I don’t think that’s what the movie was saying. It was showing that just because we can doesn’t mean we should. If Hollywood wants to make action movies that have a social message involved with it, then I would rather my kids see that if force is used to take instead of protect it will be repaid tenfold on the aggressor.

I’m sorry there is one thing I didn’t like in the movie. They did swear a little too often for my taste.
I would suggest this movie for anyone who has an imagination. It will be an afternoon of wonderment and adventure for the whole family.

I know others have their review up, but these are my thoughts and I thought they were to long to post in a respones.

I don't like to ask too much of a movie. I like to pigeon-hole movies into specialized categories because asking for everything in one movie is too much in my opinion. There are some movies that I watch for a comprehensive plot and complexity and then there are movies like Avatar which I watch for pure entertainment and don't really expect much more than that...

If I was to vote purely on a 'how much fun I had watching this movie' factor I would have to give it a 9.5/10. Seriously, it was that good to me. It has been a few days now since I've seen it and all I can think of is how much of an eye orgasm the CG was to me. I'm usually very quick to complain about bad CGI or even notice CGI when others don't but, like others have said, after 5 minutes, I didn't notice much at all and this is a huge rarity.

I found myself promoting this movie to people that didn't even ask about it. Go watch it.
I totally agree with you, I have been promoting this movie like crazy ever since I saw it on Monday. Make sure you go check it out, I don't give it a 9.5 out of 10, I give it a 10/10.

IDk if they plan to make a sequel or if this is a beginning of a series but i had a but of a problem with the ending

SPOILERS:

At the end of the movie wen the na'vi have taken over the human base and they are marching all of the human prisoners to the space ship to leave i can just see Giovanni Ribis's character thinking "just wait till we can come back" i mean if the "unobtanium" is worth 20 million a kg. thats just to large a profit margin to be left alone, not to meantion asuming that this is a fuel (what else can be worth 20 million besides super medicine that cures any disease) it is bound to have strategic value for earth and i think that's reason enough to send a army to Pandora (private or otherwise), the force that crused the mining security companys was only about 2000 strong vs what i asume is a few hundred private security soldiers, todays PMC can easily field thousans of troops, now it take 6 years to get to pandora so thats 6 years for the surevivors to get back to earth tell everybody what append lets say 2 years to organize an expedition and 6 more years back to pandora, so at most i see that jakesully and the na'vi is 14 years of peace.

Yes the Na'vi won a battle but its not like if the US stopd its indian policys after little big horn or the british left africa after isandlwana on the contary those defeats fueled continued efforts to subjugate the native people, now you can say the planets nature protects itself with the lizard-birds, rinos and tiger eske creatures, buts whats would they do if the humans decide to bomb the planet from orbit everithing from a 200km radius from their mining site, or worse yet glass the planet HALO style (its the year 2500 i asume they have the technology), i mean the resources they want are underground its not like they are there for the lumber so they lose nothing, and if its really a fuel like i asume, i dont doubt that when their gas prices are true the roof they would do wathever is necesary to get resources.

So in short its just seem like the na'vi only won themselves a reprive.

In other Avatar news James Cameron spoke to MTV about potential sequels. He says that he’s already got an arc figured out, and that if a sequel goes ahead it shouldn’t take another 4 years to get made:

Cameron made clear that the next film won’t be a prequel, recounting previous backstory, but will begin after the events of the initial movie. “We’ll follow Jake and Neytiri,” he confirmed.

In fact, Cameron intends to follow the couple for another two films. “I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven’t really put any serious work into writing a script,” he said.

The next two films, however, won’t necessitate the four years of production time that “Avatar” took to perfect its motion-capture technology and computer-generated environments and beings. “Part of what we set out to do is create a world and create these characters,” Cameron said. “From the time we capture and finish the capture, it’s literally nine to 10 months to get the CG characters working, to get their facial musculature working. … So now we have Jake, we have Neytiri. Sam can step right back into it, the characters will fit them like a glove, and we’ll just go on. So a lot of the start-up torque that had to be done for one movie really makes more sense if you play it out across several films.”
http://filmonic.com/avatar-box-offic...ar-sequels-521

I think nobody would want to see it on dvds,lol

A reply to davidzou: Many people would watch it because it is possible to buy 3D versions of the movie with a pair of 3D glasses albeit a bit expensive but worth it! I think...

Now my views:

I don't know why some people are saying this movie was bad but then everybody has their own views. Myself, I think that this movie was awesome and utilized new generation technology in movies perfectly. There might be some goofups, some abrupt changes and some unwanted scenes but this movie is still a great one. I absolutely loved it and would like to watch it again! The 3D experience was really nice and you didn't have to be constantly reminded that it is there by objects wooshing towards you but the effects made the world seem real.

A lot of work has been placed in development of the Na'vi and they look like people who might exist somewhere. Keep it up and if there is a sequel, I hope it comes back with a great storyline and ironing all the glitches in it.

Saw this last night. We did end up going to a 3-D showing. Not I-Max though, I'm glad we didn't because it would have put my wife in the hospital as she got really sick after the show, it took several minutes for her to regain her bearings. I think we're sticking to 2-D from now on.

As for the movie, I thought is was really pretty entertaining and I was so blown away by the world Cameron created that the supposed lack of story really didn't bother me a bit. Just fantastic. This is the kind of film that may get me to buy a Blue-Ray machine. Seriously.

We're going to probably go and see it again at a regular theater so I can enjoy the colors better. I honestly think you lose a good chunk of it in 3-D. But it was still really excellent looking. I've been thinking about it since last night and I think more now than before Chris, that you should think seriously about upping your rating a smidge. Something that looks that beautiful is worth a lot. That is by far the best CGI I have ever seen. Just amazing. I'll give it the
it most definitely deserves. Picking all the technical Oscars this year will be a cinch.

I don't think you lose anything, Cameron built his own camera to use 3-D technology. If anything, you'll lose not seeing it in 3-D.

But I guess it depends on how you take it, you said your wife got sick from the 3-D.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
But I guess it depends on how you take it, you said your wife got sick from the 3-D.
I've avoided it for this reason. I get sick trying to watch 3D, too. I think it's cool in 15-20 minute increments, but after that my eyes are just working too hard.

TUS, you don't think all of those greens and yellows they use to make the picture 3-D affect the overall color? We almost went and saw it again tonight so it would have been easier to compare to two. I think we'll be going on New Years eve instead so hopefully I'll still be able to discern the difference.

Still buzzing about the flick though, just wow. Anyone who's skipping this because of the story is really missing out.

I've avoided it for this reason. I get sick trying to watch 3D, too. I think it's cool in 15-20 minute increments, but after that my eyes are just working too hard.
My eyes did that when the film first started, but after ten or so minutes, I had no problems. Camera keeps a clear depth of field, which makes it easier on the eyes.

As for the colour, not at all. I guess I would have to see it again in a regular theatre to really give you an answer though.

SPOILER WARNING

hey guys, just a question me and my friends are debating about. In the scene when the humans destroy the huge tree, do u believe that all those missiles would have made the tree really fall over?

My friends think that it would, but i dont because consider how huge the tree was and how thick and strong the hide/wood of the tree would be. Even though they attacked the columns, i believe that the missiles would have done only slight damage to the columns, also, the tree had lots of columns to support it, and in the movie it only showed 3 columns being destroyed. So even if the missiles destroyed the columns, the tree would have still been standing because it had many other columns to support it.

Let me know what u guys think.