The Cinephile Test

Tools    

How have I seen more than Mark? He watches like 20 movies a day.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Here is my opinion on that list. There are 2 types of people who have seen a majority of those movies. 1.) Someone who generally loves cinema and wants to watch as many movies as possible with an open mind. And has a lot of free time. 2.) Someone who seeks random movies like those to seem like a snobby movie watcher. Someone who has "superior" taste. And has a lot of free time.

You should watch movies because they appeal to you for some reason. An actor. A genre. A subject. A director. Someone you trust recommended it. For a good reason. Not because it will improve your cinephile status. Just my opinion.

I've seen Taxi Driver and heard of maybe 8 others. I will not be watching any others unless someone I know and trust with movies were to recommenced one or something about the movie appealed to me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

2.) Someone who seeks random movies like those to seem like a snobby movie watcher. Someone who has "superior" taste. And has a lot of free time.
What can I say? You got my number on that one, buddy.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Here is my opinion on that list. There are 2 types of people who have seen a majority of those movies. 1.) Someone who generally loves cinema and wants to watch as many movies as possible with an open mind. And has a lot of free time. 2.) Someone who seeks random movies like those to seem like a snobby movie watcher. Someone who has "superior" taste. And has a lot of free time.

You should watch movies because they appeal to you for some reason. An actor. A genre. A subject. A director. Someone you trust recommended it. For a good reason. Not because it will improve your cinephile status. Just my opinion.

I've seen Taxi Driver and heard of maybe 8 others. I will not be watching any others unless someone I know and trust with movies were to recommenced one or something about the movie appealed to me.
Watch the ones I mentioned because they are good. You can trust me because I am superior movier.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, but I've never downloaded a movie... um, film, in my life. I do stream, but I've never seen a lot of those anywhere. Besides, I'm too busy watching some of the worst horror flix ever made, not that they're that much worse than a few of these in some cases.

Watch the ones I mentioned because they are good. You can trust me because I am superior movier.
haha ok I will take it into consideration.

The only thing I know I am superior at then everyone on this board is shooting basketball. But that's it. Inferior everywhere else including movie watching.

And also napping. Shooting basketball and napping. Got everyone there.

Yeah, but I've never downloaded a movie... um, film, in my life. I do stream, but I've never seen a lot of those anywhere.
Well, when you run out of films to stream and are ready to take the path of the darkside, you know who to call.

I like your dolls.
Cesaree ... wow

Master of My Domain
Nearly the amount granola bars in my house.

I'll just say that there isn't a lot of them left.

There are films I'll watch because I hate being left out of discussions about films. Like one time I watched Buckaro Bonzai because some coworkers were talking about it.

Other films I've watched because I want to work in the industry and I think it's essential for education/credibility. Such as man with a movie camera.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
One of the worst movies ever made is in there, Faces.
Does it haveThe Room? If not, it should. :P
He mainly watches "mainstream crap".
2.) Someone who seeks random movies like those to seem like a snobby movie watcher. Someone who has "superior" taste. And has a lot of free time.
Oh no, you blew my cover! Anyways, it seems a lot of free time is essential for both.
Yeah, but I've never downloaded a movie... um, film, in my life.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Persona, Ordet (needs a rewatch though, because i couldn't concentrate on it as i was watching my Nephew at the time), Salo, Taxi Driver, Eyes Wide Shut, Apocalypse Now and The Old Man and The Sea. So that makes 7, most of the other ones that i've heard of are already on my watchlist.

23. Maybe I've seen 2 or 3 more, but I have doubts so didn't count those. Several others on my watchlist.
I keep a movie diary in that website, I like it.

Unless I miscounted, these are the 22 I've seen (ranked and rated from favorite to least favorite):

Apocalypse Now

Taxi Driver

Solaris

Greed

Persona

High and Low

Stalker

In a Lonely Place

Eyes Wide Shut

The 400 Blows

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Pandora's Box

Synecdoche, New York

Suspiria

Deep End

A Woman Under the Influence

Man With a Movie Camera

Alphaville

L'Atalante

Inland Empire

Faces

Husbands

Movie I most want to see that I haven't seen: Beware of a Holy Whore, solely based on the title.
Apparently we have very similar tastes.