This Year's Best Movie

Tools    

What has been the best movie you have seen this year? I haven't been to a lot of movies so I can't really say.

1-Gladiator
2-Unbreakable
3-MI2
4-Whole Nine Yards

It's been the year I have seen the least movies but I rented about 180 movies in video.

Cheers!

MovieForums Extra

I'd have to go with American Beauty...a wierd movie but truly masterpiece material!

#2 would be X-Men, followed by The Perfect Storm as #3...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I forgot about American Beauty. One of the greatest movies ever made.

MovieForums Extra

Yeah, as far as I know it only came out in Australia around February 2000, but come to think of it, it just might be possible that it came out last year...

American Beauty was rereleased in 2000 after the Oscars but it was a 1999 film - Sept 1999 to be exact.

This was a bad year for movies, it really was. Two of my favorites were Erin Brockovich and The Contender.

I think of all the films this year, my favorite, even though it was a comedy, was Meet the Parents. I'm biased because I would gladly eat any dirt De Niro stepped on, but it was classically funny but not overly dumb.

Yeah it was a crappy year for movies. I can't even imagine what would get movie of the year. I'll be surprised with any picks...and uh...not suprised.

Gladiator might be in the running, but doesn't seem like it would win. Same goes for The Patriot. The Grinch was really good, but not the type of movie that would win. You have to try to pick them based on the types of films that get considered in other years. And right now I can't think of one from 2000 that meets those standards.

I have to disagree - I thought it was a solid year - I think too many critics have unreasonably high standards - I have a good time almost every time I go to the movies...it doesn't have to be dramatic and life changing or blow me away to be a good movie.

I'd have to pick Gladiator as best picture - it's about time a solid action flick got the nod.

I agree with Chris...Gladiator has my vote!

Cheers!

Gladiator wasn't a solid action flick. Well, it wasn't non-stop action. The action was excellent though. But It just might get movie of the year. I'm guessing it will win.

I think that the people who pick the movie of the year have to have high standards. But not too high. I agree with just about every single pick of the 1990's...but I'd have to look at the list again. I think that 1999's films were over-all twice as good as this past year's.

I just realized something!

Cast Away is part of the 2000 year category. It was released right at the end...but it counts right??

Cast Away is in my oppinion the best movie of the year. I think it should win. But will it? I think it will at least win best actor for Tom Hanks, probably best Cinemetography as well and much much more. Actually, I hope this movie wins...big time.

I'd put The Contender at least in my top five. That was a great one.

That's right - Cast Away will likely be nominated. I laughed out loud when someone here suggest Wilson the Volleyball as Best Supporting Actor - that would be hillarious. Here's hoping Tom Hanks wins for Best Actor and takes the ball up with him.

I don't agree with the Academy too often...I havn't seen all of the Best Picture winners either - because I prefer more mainstream movies...IE: not as much drama as others.

I have no problem with having high standards, but I can't stand the fact that the Academy virtually never picks an action flick. The Matrix is a modern-day classic Sci-Fi flick, and incredibly well done - I'm not saying it was the Best of the year, but perhaps a nomination?

You should know that the Academy is quite conservative so it will never choose an action movie as best movie...especially not with the current heads of the academy.

Also, never take it seriously when "X" wins over "Y" because in most case you simply buy your Oscar.

Cheers!

Yup - lobbyists are everywhere I'm sure.

I guess I'm waiting for this generation of Academy voters to die out so some people more open-minded towards actions and adventure are chosen. Movies like Star Wars and Indiana Jones are exciting, but very well made, and warrant recognition for that.

MovieForums Extra

Umm, didn't the Matrix get three or four Oscars for special effects, sound effects and best script or something like that?? I consider that to be pretty good, 'cos like you guys said, action/sci-fi movies don't usually get any nominations at all...Somehow, I don't think we'll be seeing any action flicks being nominated for best film because, frankly, I don't think most of them are worth it...even movies like Gladiator and the Patriot. There really is a difference between something considered to be a good movie (like for example American Beauty) and something like U-571 or the Gladiator...

Naw man - I mean the real awards - like Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress - even Best Supporting Actor/Actress...obviously sci-fi action flicks will win the effects awards.