19th century gentleman refuses love, and Later regrets it

Tools    

First of all, thank you so much for this community and all your help. It's much appreciated.

I would like your help finding a period piece drama-romantic film, probably from the 90s or 2000s.

It is a love story in the Victorian age about a prideful young gentleman with a cold and melancholy attitude. Someday, a sweet and happy young lady falls in love with him, but the gentleman rejects her love letters.

Later in the movie, the gentleman is forced to fight in a gun-duel against his best friend for some reason, kills his best friend, then cries and regrets his stubbornness.

At the end of the movie, the gentleman regrets having rejected the lady, and asks for her hand, but it is too late. She is already married to another man, and unwilling to betray her faithful husband. The film ends sadly, when the loving gentleman forced to say goodbye to her.

The characters in this movie somewhat resemble the "Pride and Prejudice" characters.

If anyone have an idea, please share.

That type of fillum's not really in my wheelhouse but in case you've not already played with the advanced search in IMDb here's a list of romantic feature period-pieces that might (or might not) prove of use.

Best of luck with the ongoing search.

Thank you, but I already tried that before posting.

leor333: Your description of the movie is well done. But do you recall if it is set in America, Britain, or Europe? And was it shot in English or was it dubbed?

leor333: Your description of the movie is well done. But do you recall if it is set in America, Britain, or Europe? And was it shot in English or was it dubbed?

Thank you very much for trying to help!

No dub, Is was definitely an English movie with english looking actors.
I believe it was set in Britain (as I recall, all characters were speaking in British accent).

In it's looks, the film was very similar to the "Pride & Prejudice" (2005) or even "Barry Lyndon" (1975), only with less expensive sets.

It was a sad movie, very melancholy, a drama.

Thank you all.

I just found my movie. It is called
Onegin (1999)