who is the most versatile actor today?

Tools    

I don't need a bigger boat.
A few that immediately come to mind......

Daniel-Day Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Charlize Theron
Don Cheadle
Kevin Spacey
Gary Oldman
Robert Carlyle
Meryl Streep

...to name a few.

This was not a boating accident
For me, it's the late Heath Ledger. It's just ashame we won't get to see how far he could've gone. Especially after The Dark Knight.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman anybody? The man is just so damn talented and puts a lot of energy into all of his roles.
Good one.

I also really like Laura Linney (his co-star in The Savages).

Gary Oldman, for me, is far too inescapable when it comes to cinematic versatility. The man has abandoned his name through remarkable performances. He's completely committed to concealing his cards, too. It's what a makes an actor great.

I think a lot of people mentioned are good but not necessarily versatile.

Gary Oldman is a great choice as is Philip Seymour Huffman. I think Ralph Fiennes is very versatile. He has played good guys and bad guys, can be a strong or weak character. He is contemporary but does well in historical pieces. And he never seems to be acting to me.

Women I would have to say Marcia Gay Harden, Meryl Steep and Toni Collette.

This is Bat Country!
eeeek keanu reeves!! No way Jose!

Christian Bale, the late Heath Ledger and Johnny Depp

eeeek keanu reeves!! No way Jose!

Johnny Depp

Dachshunds Fear Me
Good choices all!

Russell Crowe as well - who'd think the same guy in The Insider could also become Maximus in Gladiator, John Nash in A Beautiful Mind, and Ben Wade in 3:10 to Yuma??

George: Arthur.

My answer would be Robert De Niro. He is the man!

Daniel Day-Lewis
Definitely Nicholas Cage and Tom Hanks!!
I agree.

This is my list and the movies that did it for me

Phillip Seymour Hoffman- Charlie Wilsons War, Capote
Samuel L Jackson- The Negotiator
Tom Hanks- Charlie Wilsons War, Cast Away, Forrest Gump
Aaron Eckhart- Thank you for smoking
William H Macy- Fargo
Christian Bale- The Machinist, Batman Begins, The Prestige
Morgan Freeman- Shawshank Redemption
Matt Damon- Bourne series, The Departed
George Clooney- O Brother where art thou
Kevin Spacey- American Beauty, K Pax, Usual Suspects
Leonardo DiCaprio- Departed, Whats eating gilbert grape
Tommy Lee Jones- No Country for Old Men, US Marshalls, The Fugitive, The Hunted
Will Smith- I am Legend, Pursuit of Happyness, Enemy of the state
Agree with this as well, and a very nice list.

Also:

Robert De Niro

And....
Heath Ledger was actually really starting to show just how much range he has after I saw Brokeback Mountain. I barely even expected such a calibur performance and with the upcoming "Dark Knight" he was really proving what a performer he actually was. I imagine he would have went even farther had he gotten the chance.

And I believe that another one of the most versatile actors we've seen is Johnny Depp. The man is a bona-fide perfomer. I've found that I develop a liking for an actor that will always keep his audience guessing. Since his younger years on Jump Street he's gone on to give more than unforgettable characters.

It's just amazing his range and the limited boundaries he seems to put on himself. These portrayals I find always stay with me one way or another after the film is finished, even it's only for 20 minutes. One minute he'll come on the screen as this wacky director in drag whom noone could have cared less the work for in his tme, and he leaves it it with such a mark and portrayal that even if you don't grow a liking for the man Ed Wood himself, at least I, can't help but fall in love with him.

And then he'll go from this nutty, yet determined, director to things like a drugged writer, and the cowardly Ichabod Crane in the Headles Horseman. I also find that he is not afraid to appear frightened.

You take all these things, and yet he continues to surprise audiences. He's gone on to do things like Chocolat, showing that he can even continue to dominate a screen with limited time on it. And then Pirates of the Caribbean where he plays a rum-soaked, wobbly legged pirate who can barely even speak for himself, absolutely unforgettable to me, and even with the massive amount of fame and the skyrocket to superstardom he manages to keep true to his craft and not sell himself out.

Then, fastforward to, and this one really got me, Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he goes from detectives to directors to pirates to criminals and then he plays a wackjob candy maker, mentally deficient to that of a 7 year-old, giggling and pulling it off, there are some actors out there who would never bring themselves to this type of role, and then a classic musical-turned film about the Demon Barber Sweeny Todd who slashes his victims in the chair.

That type of range in any actor is admirable and I think it's one of the most witty and talented things for them to do, leaving their audience in mysterious anticipation.

And one of the most versatile of all time is Marlon Brando.

(the image files won't work )

I have to agree with every other person, Johnny Depp is awesome. He does so much and he does it so, ridiculously well.

Some of my picks

Stephen Lang
Gary Oldman
Tom Hardy
Sam Rockwell
Brad Dourif

- all have extreme range, but the winner is = Cate Blanchett

Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Ides of March, Mission Impossible 3, Doubt, Almost Famous)
Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting, True Grit, Stuck On You, The Bourne series)
Joaquin Phoenix (Walk The Line, Gladiator, I'm Still Here)
Daniel Day Lewis (Gangs of New York, Lincoln, The Age of Innocence)
Liam Neeson (Taken, The Grey, Gangs of New York)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic, J. Edgar, Catch Me If You Can)
Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight, The Professional, State of Grace, JFK)
Morgan Freeman (The Shawshank Redemption, Red, Seven)
Denzel Washington (Malcolm X, Training Day, Unstoppable)
Michael Fassbender (Inglorious Basterds, Shame, Haywire)
Sean Penn (Fast Times of Ridgemont High, At Close Range, Milk, Sweet and Lowdown)
Robert Deniro (Meet the Parents, Taxi Driver, Cape Fear, Goodfellas, Mad Dog and Glory)
Al Pacino (The Godfather, Scent of a Woman, Heat, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico)
Bill Murray (Groundhog Day, Lost in Translation, Ghostbusters)
Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black, No Country For Old Men, JFK)
Kevin Bacon (Footloose, Sleepers, Murder in the First)

Why is it no one mentioned Robert Duval, one of the most respected character actors in the industry?
Of course, I can always go with De Nero and Depp and I love DeCaprio.
What Happened with Hillary Swank - the real chameleon?
And I could always go with Streep and Miren.