The First ever film/films you watched on video/dvd.

Tools    

This was not a boating accident
Think way back to the days when you were naive and innocent. And your tastes in film hadn't quite developed yet.

The first two movies i saw were, Annie (1982) and Escape to Athena (1979). They were watched on the first video recorder my mom ever bought. It was one of those clunky top loaders, with big chunky buttons and a remote control that was attached by a short cable. So you couldn't actually go too far.
From a young age i was force fed musicals and World War 2:men on a mission movies. I think mother was trying to confuse me from the start.

Welcome to the human race...
Video: Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Blues Brothers. I can't remember which.

DVD: not too sure. I'll go with the first Spy Kids movie.

This was not a boating accident
I remember the first time i rented Raiders of the Lost Ark. I must have watched it 5 times before i took it back. And in those days, you could only rent a film for one day. My mom was not pleased. It caused her to miss her soaps!!

.....doesn't know what to put here!
the first video i was was Flubber, i got it for christmas, i wanted it so much. that must've been about 10 years ago now!

the first DVD i saw was Goldeneye only 3 short years ago.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Video: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Dvd: I think Max Keeble's Big Move

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
No idea for video

Although DVD was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. (I think)

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Video it was a Star Trek film, because my Mom bought the VCR so she could watch Star Trek like a fiend.

DVD - Blade Runner. First DVD I ever bought, shortly followed by Highlander...

Think way back to the days when you were naive and innocent. And your tastes in film hadn't quite developed yet.

The first two movies i saw were, Annie (1982) and Escape to Athena (1979). They were watched on the first video recorder my mom ever bought. It was one of those clunky top loaders, with big chunky buttons and a remote control that was attached by a short cable. So you couldn't actually go too far.
From a young age i was force fed musicals and World War 2:men on a mission movies. I think mother was trying to confuse me from the start.
I was in my 30s, with kids of my own, before I had my first video recorder--and it wasn't the VHS type. I got that other thing--Beta? It was on sale, so I could afford it--that was around for a short while before VHS took over the market.. I don't remember any places renting films back then--I think that came later. Back then they sold you the machine and then they sold you the movies to watch on it. Haven't a clue now the first movie I bought.

I have no idea what the first VHS was… but I remember watching Willow a lot way back then…

First DVD's I remember buying were:

The Last of the Mohicans
The Crow
Highlander
Ever After
Dances With Wolves

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I honestly don't remember what the first videocassette that I ever rented and watched was. If it wasn't Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers it should have been, since I checked that one out at least three times a year from the ages of eleven to sixteen (when I finally got my own copy).

And yes, we too were a Betamax family. Great pick, Dad! There was one small independent video store near our house that I could ride my bike to, but our main destination quickly became Erol's. Some may know Erol's as an internet provider in the 1990s, but it began as a regional chain of video rental stores in Virginia and Maryland, in the days before Blockbuster came and drove just about everyone out of business (Erol's was actually bought out by Blockbuster).

I know the very first DVD I ever bought was The Good, the Bad & the Ugly. But longtime members here will know I had (and still have) an extensive LaserDisc collection, between the two formats. For those who don't know, LaserDiscs were essentially the same technology as DVDs, but cruder and the discs were the size of LP records (if you're old enough to remember them). At its height my collection was well over six hundred titles on LD. I still have most of them. And I remember perfectly what my first LDs were: BladeRunner, The Long Goodbye, North by Northwest, Miller's Crossing and The Empire Strikes Back. I bought all of those the very first night I had my player and just started drooling instantly. Love at first sight, that's for sure. I believe the next few were Casablanca, Bringing Up Baby and Alien. After that, it's literally impossible to recall.

And while it hasn't been hit with a new reply in years, there was an old thread asking what everyone's first purchased DVDs were. That can be found HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Way back in '03 (I think) my folks bought a dvd player and as soon as I found out I ordered the Art of Buster Keaton box set hoping it would be waiting when I got home for winter break. It was, and the first disc I watched was Sherlock Jr., a movie I'd never seen before. Then I systematically worked my way through all the other dvds. Eventually I bought my own PAL/NTSC regionless dvd player and the first discs I bought that could utilize that were the Eureka (UK) dvds of Hiroshi Teshigahara's Pitfall and The Face of Another.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The first VHS tape I ever saw, I'm ashamed to admit, was Police Academy 4. I was a kid, I didn't know any better. LOL.

The First DVD I ever watched was Man on the Moon, I think. It was a gift from my brother when I got my DVD player. I still love that movie.

First VHS I ever watched was Fantasia. I was four.

First DVD...oddly I don't remember at all. Perhaps The Matrix?

First VHS: a very grainy bootleg of Star Wars

First DVD: either Conan or Fist of Legend, I both them both with my first player at Walmart one night after work, either in 1999 or 2000.

First VHS: Rocky & Bullwinkle. The video store I bought them from has long been demolished.

First DVD: No idea.

I
longtime members here will know I had (and still have) an extensive LaserDisc collection, between the two formats. For those who don't know, LaserDiscs were essentially the same technology as DVDs, but cruder and the discs were the size of LP records (if you're old enough to remember them). At its height my collection was well over six hundred titles on LD.
I remember LaserDiscs a friend of mine had one and lots of movies but not anywhere near 600

I can't remember anything these days

I honestly don't remember what the first videocassette that I ever rented and watched was. If it wasn't Richard Lester's The Three Musketeers it should have been, since I checked that one out at least three times a year from the ages of eleven to sixteen (when I finally got my own copy).

And yes, we too were a Betamax family. Great pick, Dad! There was one small independent video store near our house that I could ride my bike to, but our main destination quickly became Erol's. Some may know Erol's as an internet provider in the 1990s, but it began as a regional chain of video rental stores in Virginia and Maryland, in the days before Blockbuster came and drove just about everyone out of business (Erol's was actually bought out by Blockbuster).

I know the very first DVD I ever bought was The Good, the Bad & the Ugly. But longtime members here will know I had (and still have) an extensive LaserDisc collection, between the two formats. For those who don't know, LaserDiscs were essentially the same technology as DVDs, but cruder and the discs were the size of LP records (if you're old enough to remember them). At its height my collection was well over six hundred titles on LD. I still have most of them. And I remember perfectly what my first LDs were: BladeRunner, The Long Goodbye, North by Northwest, Miller's Crossing and The Empire Strikes Back. I bought all of those the very first night I had my player and just started drooling instantly. Love at first sight, that's for sure. I believe the next few were Casablanca, Bringing Up Baby and Alien. After that, it's literally impossible to recall.

And while it hasn't been hit with a new reply in years, there was an old thread asking what everyone's first purchased DVDs were. That can be found HERE.
I not only remember laser discs (my mom bought one long after I left home, but she was a compulsive shopper who filled the house with junk), but have about as many LPs as you have laser discs. Man, what a vintage garage sale we could do together! But I occasionally still play my LPs, as you probably do your laser discs.

Half man, half machine
I remember my family renting Supergirl in the mid-80's at a local video store.

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

Video: was either Never Ending Story or Ghostbusters

Dvd: Behind Enemy Lines

Cinema: Aladin (poor spelling I think but im tired) atleast thats the earliest one I can remember

I clearly remember the first VHS. And I'm sure some of you will remember the big black bulky VHS players you could rent from the rental store's. You could seriously kill someone with one of those things. Anyway, it was my Dad's birthday and my Mother rented Star Wars. Coolest birthday ever. I think my Dad liked it too.

No clue about DVD. I know I collect them now like they are going out of style and every time I do that they do, so word to the wise.