Babylon 5
14.81%
4 votes
Star Trek (Original Series)
0%
0 votes
Stargate SG-1
27 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Well, my days of taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

???

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

That's vintage Mal, Cait!

That's classic Fillion!

"That's Joss the boss who writes the fights and all those crazy sex scenes (that give me these crazy sex dreams)"

That's vintage Mal, Cait!

That's classic Fillion!

"That's Joss the boss who writes the fights and all those crazy sex scenes (that give me these crazy sex dreams)"

Thanks... it sounded familiar but I still couldn't place it....

This was not a boating accident
For me it's Doctor Who.I grew up on Tom Baker and Peter Davidson. Love the new stuff now though.

Colour out of Time
Wow I'm the only one that voted for Babylon 5
I really loved that characters and script and the differing well thoughtout alien races, each complete with their own philosopies. It was also good to see startrek actors appearing and also the guy from Lost in Space.

Firefly had soooo much potential, and if allowed to go for the 5 seasons would probably have taken 1st place. Damn the short sighted network who not canned the series but broadcast it out of sequence and missed episodes We will never know the shepherd's secret But what was produced is just excellent, the 2 languages and technology mixtures, the no sound in space, all these made it believable.

Doctor Who I grew up with, vague memories of 1st but strong memories of the 2nd doc onwards.

There isn't a Sci-fi show on in the last 40 years that isn't in one way or another a descendant of the original Star Trek in my ever so humble opinion.
Ummm ... the good Doctor first broadcast the week after Kennedy assassination in 1963 ... which makes it the longest running televiion scifi series in history.

I'd also like to mention UFO, as an young boy I loved those moonbase chics with purple hair

Cheers

Ummm ... the good Doctor first broadcast the week after Kennedy assassination in 1963 ... which makes it the longest running televiion scifi series in history.
When did I ever mention that Star Trek was the longest running show in history? I was saying that I think most of the shows on today and the last several decades have been copying Star Trek in one way or another. And there's plenty of shows that were on 20 and 30 years before even Dr. Who came on the air. Flash Gordon from the 30's and 40's just to name one. Btw, that UFO show looks classic!

Dachshunds Fear Me
I had to give a nod to Star Trek: The Next Generation, because it had such enormous shoes to fill, and did it amazingly well. Much as I love the Shat-tastic Captain Kirk, Picard's my man.

X-Files really is too much of a hybrid of sci-fi and political paranoia thriller for me to give it the nod, but it is one of the best drama series ever put on television - except for the post-Mulder season, which I've chosen to pretend never happened anyway.

Props to Doctor Who for longevity - I've watched it since I was a kid (God love public TV!), and it was brilliantly resurrected in 2005 by my favorite Doctor, the angsty and fantastic Christopher Eccleston.

Firefly had so much potential, and was foully murdered by Fox. Bad, Fox. BAD.

George: Arthur.

Christ Eccles is my fave doctor too!

"I like bananas.Bananas are good."
-The Doctor

The Adventure Starts Here!
I love (and miss) Firefly but I had to vote for BSG. Whoever said that Firefly DOESN'T use witty comeback lines is way off base. That show was all about the witty comeback lines (which I love). And it made me a fan of Fillion's.

But BSG is what has made me take sci-fi more seriously. Yes, I used to watch STNG religiously when it was airing at the time, but that's mostly because it was the only game in town then and we had turned it into a social event, with friends coming over to watch it with us. So that was more about the experience than the actual show.

BSG is one of those shows that fits into its mold perfectly and yet transcends it completely. I hope that makes sense to someone else here, because I think it explains my feelings about the show well.

Amazing realism, grittiness, characters, writing, effects, storyline. It balances the overarching story with the minutiae of individual stories. It doesn't overdo the sci-fi parts to the extreme. That is, people are using scotch tape dispensers and normal-looking tools to fix things, doctors don't point magical handheld devices at patients to cure them with some sort of laser-technology, and ships come in for a landing on the battlestar in a rather haphazard way. It's like all the details of balancing "regular" technology with "sci-fi" technology were thought out clearly and logically ... making the show that much more believable.

It makes me want to write sci-fi. And that's saying something.

Colour out of Time
Just remembered this one ...

Wild Palms (1993)

Wiki = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms
IMDb = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106175/

I enjoyed this series which centred on the issues of what is reality, conspiracy, hologram vs virtual reality ... great stuff.

William Gibson, cyberpunk author makes guest appearance as himself.

What about Max Headroom (1987)

Wiki = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hea...28TV_series%29
IMDb = http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092402/

This quirky surreal series was a must to see when it aired. It centered around Network 23 a television station and its hard hitting investigative programme. Reporter Edison Carter's personality is replicated within a computer resulting in Max Headroom with his distinctive electronic stuttering. The series presents a dark cyberpunkish future.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I've recently been watching the original Star Trek with my teen who has never seen it before. It's pretty amazing. You see the threads of so many shows have come from those ideas.

Lately, I've really enjoyed 4400. I want more!

Of this list though, I voted for Firefly. I didn't enjoy it until I watched it via boxed sex though. The run on TV was messed up somehow IMO.

A system of cells interlinked
Well said, Austruck!

I agree completely, of course.

I love that a show (Firefly) that wasn't even on for a whole season is doing so well in the poll. MoFo is my kind of people. While I didn't vote for it I certainly love it very much, I probably talk about it to much too.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh, Undercover -- yeah, Red Dwarf is conspicuously missing. I've seen that show via PBS here in the States in fits and starts, but I've always wanted to watch it from first episode onward. I'm thinkin' Netflix... Thanks for the reminder.