The Munsters 2022

Tools    

Bad taste, worse opinions.
TLDR: looks cheaply made but I think Rob Zombie has a real passion for the material that could manifest as fun little movie.

So right after seeing this the first thing I thought is that it looked really cheap. Like Ed Wood cheap. So the next thing I did was look at the budget. looks like 30-40 million, which is kind of a low budget movie now-a-days. Then again, it looking cheaply made also kind of plays into the aesthetic of the old show so maybe it's a blessing out of necessity? I mean it could very well be a conscious choice of his (Rob Zombie) for the movie. which, if so... alright. But then also, he seems to have instructed the actors to really chew the scenery. Everyone seems to be playing into being as hammy as possible, which also fits the tone of the original show but will it pay off as a whole?

Either way, not super into the source material myself. I remember watching it as a kid on Nick at Night from time to time, and have mostly positive memories of it, but also could not tell you the plot from a single episode. Rob Zombie on the other hand seems to really love this material. So much so, that he insisted on having a replica of the original house from the show made for the production.

I think this is such a departure from his other films, and also taking a lot of risks with the old timey tone of the movie, but it could turn out to be a fun little movie with all those elements working together. I would just say if you have any interest in seeing it, go into it knowing that it is gonna be a bit intentionally corny. I mean Rob Zombie already has a reputation for taking schlocky material then giving it a modern day feel/facelift with a varying amounts of success. So in a weird way, as much of a departure as it is from his previous work, it still feels like it kind of isn't in a lot of ways and still manages to seem like something he would do. Thoughts?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	the munsters 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	87968  

I really want to see this, even though I never saw the show. I noticed the campiness was held tightly to replicate an almost 60's vibe, obviously meaning Zombie's putting more care into making an actual movie and adaptation than what he normally does. I'm hoping this ends up better than The Devil's Rejects.