1970's Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm going to have to back read your thread. But in a nut shell, in what way was it tough to sit through?
It was just really unpleasant to watch and listen to. The sound and visuals were really unpleasant to me. It also had a very disjointed structure which wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't that intrusive visually and audibly, i found the story very hard to concentrate on due to this and i think Sean fell asleep It is acclaimed though, particularly for its place in American Independent Film history; it was his first. Not for me though.

Here's what me and Sean posted, neither of us posted spoilers or said very much since we had such an awful time with it :

Sean - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...51#post1769051
Me - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...90#post1780690

The first time I watch one of his movies, there is a bit frustration... Second viewing is so amazing, because Cassavetes never spoon-feeds, and after you know the movie, you can watch and notice other things...
I actually pointed out how much i appreciated the credit he gives his audience in my Love Streams review. Particularly regarding the brother-sister relationship.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Can i ask which ones you've tried? I found Shadows close to unwatchable and he apparently made a few like that. Think you'd have an easier time with A Woman Under The Influence, Love Streams or Opening Night. Although none of them are typical films.
Actually had to go and look, It's been a good 2 decades since trying to watch them. I remember struggling with Husbands and didn't finish. Loved Falk, as I always do, but, if I remember it may be I kept thinking "What a bunch of d1cks,". And I remember the cool friends saying I was a d1ck for not appreciating it lol
I vaguely remember attempting Faces and having no luck with it.

There is one I DID watch and enjoy: Gloria. Saw it as a rental from Blockbuster back in the mid to late 80's. Rowlands was great in that one from what I can remember.

Not sure if I've ever tried A Woman Under the Influence, and I know I haven't seen Opening Night (which, reading it looks rather intense) or Love Streams.

Actually had to go and look, It's been a good 2 decades since trying to watch them. I remember struggling with Husbands and didn't finish. Loved Falk, as I always do, but, if I remember it may be I kept thinking "What a bunch of d1cks,". And I remember the cool friends saying I was a d1ck for not appreciating it lol
I vaguely remember attempting Faces and having no luck with it.
Pretty sure Husbands and Faces are the two others that are like Shadows so it's not surprising you didn't like them.

A Woman Under The Influence actually has a really straightforward story. Opening Night and Love Streams are deliberately all over the place, but A Woman Under The Influence is basically a linear drama film about a woman (Gena Rowlands) with a severe mental illness; with Peter Falk as her husband. I've only seen 4/12 of Cassavetes films so i can't say overall but out of those at least i'd say that would be the easiest to get into.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I actually pointed out how much i appreciated the credit he gives his audience in my Love Streams review. Particularly regarding the brother-sister relationship.
Isn't it odd they never made a movie together, as a couple? I liked how someone who isn't well herself could have helped, albeit in a strange way, but it wasn't the most convincing, aybe it's because I knew they were married, and at first glance, I think even a rookie would smile, but THAT doesn't matter... I actually liked the father-son scenario most.

Isn't it odd they never made a movie together, as a couple? I liked how someone who isn't well herself could have helped, albeit in a strange way, but it wasn't the most convincing, aybe it's because I knew they were married, and at first glance, I think even a rookie would smile, but THAT doesn't matter... I actually liked the father-son scenario most.
I knew they were married too (i only watched Love Streams last night) and i think it was incredible how well they pulled off a sibling relationship considering their actual relationship. The father-son one was odd to me, i dunno can't be bothered going into it. Thought Cassavetes was amazing in the father-son scenes though.

I watched Husbands first and thought it was equally fascinating and misogynistic. But I'd watch it again out of curiosity.

A Woman Under the Influence was funny and disturbing. I think I laughed because of Peter Falk. His voice when he gets animated has that effect on me.

I couldn't get through Shadows or Faces.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie I found dull and messy. I love Ben Gazzara but this wasn't his movie for me. I struggled bad with this one.

Opening Night..there's one that Birdman probably ripped off a little bit. I did like it, but may have to see it again at some point.

Gloria was my first Cassavetes film. I liked it. It was actually really awesome and Gena Rownlands as the action hero was so unique because she wasn't all bombastic. She had a subtle way of kicking ass. Like a very realistic way. She really is the best there was.

I need to see Love Streams. That was has me curious because it's PG-13 and a Cannon film. I guess the Golan/Globus Bros gave Cassavetes carte blanche.

Minny and Moskowitz I wasn't a fan of. Too grimy for me. It was semi interesting but it wasn't my thing, really.

And though not a Cassavetes film, I really liked Mikey and Nicky. I thought it was funny. Loved the diner scene with Falk.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A Woman Under the Influence definitely seems like something I should try for and yeah, @Joel, Falks' voice has the same effect for me too. I just love listening to him talk and I crack up from the joy of it.

A Woman Under the Influence definitely seems like something I should try for and yeah, @Joel, Falks' voice has the same effect for me too. I just love listening to him talk and I crack up from the joy of it.
Like in Made...

I think i was constantly disturbed throughout A Woman Under The Influence, because in the first three minutes you see Rowlands
WARNING: "Influence" spoilers below
she gets raped and has no idea what's going on in the morning
. The only scenes that aren't disturbing to me in the film are the ones with Peter Falk and the kids, and one of them even has
WARNING: "influence" spoilers below
underage drinking

That's my only actual criticism of the film. It's not even a criticism actually more a want,
WARNING: "Influence" spoilers below
i would have liked more scenes with Falk and the kids or Falk coping on his own those were amazing; think they brought Rowlands back too soon.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I watched Husbands first and thought it was equally fascinating and misogynistic. But I'd watch it again out of curiosity.

A Woman Under the Influence was funny and disturbing. I think I laughed because of Peter Falk. His voice when he gets animated has that effect on me.

I couldn't get through Shadows or Faces.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie I found dull and messy. I love Ben Gazzara but this wasn't his movie for me. I struggled bad with this one.

Opening Night..there's one that Birdman probably ripped off a little bit. I did like it, but may have to see it again at some point.

Gloria was my first Cassavetes film. I liked it. It was actually really awesome and Gena Rownlands as the action hero was so unique because she wasn't all bombastic. She had a subtle way of kicking ass. Like a very realistic way. She really is the best there was.

I need to see Love Streams. That was has me curious because it's PG-13 and a Cannon film. I guess the Golan/Globus Bros gave Cassavetes carte blanche.

Minny and Moskowitz I wasn't a fan of. Too grimy for me. It was semi interesting but it wasn't my thing, really.

And though not a Cassavetes film, I really liked Mikey and Nicky. I thought it was funny. Loved the diner scene with Falk.
I'm glad you noticed Birdman. I agree 100% on Chinese Bookie -- too muddled. Gloria is one of his more commercial movies, only because he wanted to sell it, but ended up doing it himself.

I think Falk is the crazy one, but I don't think J.C. wanted to tell the audience what to feel and maybe wanted to see how people would respond. There are a few scenes where it's just by luck, chance, where she is considered crazy.. The first thing we hear from Falk is that he thinks Mabel is mad at him for not spending any time, and even when he makes a date to make up for this, he doesn't show up, she sits up all night, and etc.., but she wanted it to work, even going to her mother for a babysitter, not even sure if she should have..

Falk comes home and the first thing he says is "Cook me and these 10-15 guys I work with food" and "SIT YOUR ASS".. Notice how Falk ends that, telling Mabel she did nothing wrong, so she's probably a very self-conscious (e.g. what she says to herself) by leaving everything because his mother was seeking sympathy for a tummy ache.

The party... When they come back, they see the little girl running naked, and when grandma asks, the little girl seems afraid and doesn't answer.. Of course grandma suggests "Was it mommy?" - when that wasn't true.. She simply told the kids to wear their costumes.. And then lies the "crazy" -- she dances.. So what! That was another time Falk punches her out (before threatening to kill the kids) because the swan dance probably helps her anxieties... She asks him a few times if she loves him, and he says nothing.. During a moment of quiet, you hear Mabel basically say how she got pregnant (shot-gun wedding, regrets?)... Falk seems to side with his mother on everything, and instead of the mother taking the blame for not raising her kid right, it's typical she would blame Mabel for ALL the woes... "My husband doesn't do anything, he's a good boy" (when the psychiatrist shows up, who only makes things worse by being the typical smarmy elitist)..

I didn't even mention the beach.. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice it was too cold, yet Falk was wearing shorts in that freezing weather, and seems so disjointed, and needs to seek approval from co-workers, and his overbearing mother.

A sign of the times... Mabel goes to pick up the kids, and she needs to know what time it is. She asks a few women walking by and they totally ignore her, and she's frustrated by their lack of empathy, at one point yelling "You have a watch on!".. But it's all good, she was on time, etc... I'm not saying she was perfect, but I don't think she was abnormal, and her anxieties were caused by others.. And for Falk to throw a huge party the minute she comes out of the mental institution, which obviously doesn't help.. She tells the guests she wants to be alone, and everyone else wants to tell her what she can or cannot handle.. Even Falk says "She shouldn't see the kids" until his mother actually changes, and appears the only responsible person, and perhaps some guilt we don't know about for Mabel -- why else would she change course all of a sudden? Because she got what she wanted, screaming that she needs to be put away..

At the end, he does scream "I love you so who cares" and the proverbial band-aid as they get ready for bed..

"Husbands" is one that doesn't seem to be watched much. It's somewhere in the middle for me, but I wish some would watch the two movies he made in the studio, which are very structured... Too Late Blues was the first, with Bobby Darin, and it's probably the best movie that describes music and the business, the lines between making a career out of it without selling out... A Child Is Waiting has Burt Lancaster, Judy Garland, Gena Rowlands, etc, but Judy steals the show.. I think it was her best role, and she was in the condition to play it with so much vulnerability without being corny.

If anyone is interested, here is the 544-paged "Cassavetes on Cassavetes" by Ray Carney, who really loves American independent movies and really knows his stuff.

http://www.thestickingplace.com/wp-c...ss-on-Cass.pdf

So I don't forget, John Cassavetes' mother is probably the funniest person in movies, although he has a wicked sense of humor, the smile, the eyes.. Hilarious in The Dirty Dozen -- "I never ate that.. Stepped in it a few times, never ate it"....

And I love "Mikey and Nicky" and movies like that. Real-time, no act 1, 2, and 3 (not that there's anything wrong with that) but it's nice to have options and not be encumbered by convention.

hey just got unbanned. I actually just got back from the theater where I saw fantastic planet. Good to see you posting and feeling better

hey just got unbanned. I actually just got back from the theater where I saw fantastic planet. Good to see you posting and feeling better
Thanks, back to normal

man I want to blind nom a super obscure film but I dont know if I or others will be able to find a download link

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I just sent in my nomination. I'm sure most have seen it, but I wanted to revisit it and see everyone discuss it, so that's that.