The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Victim of The Night
It wouldn't blow my mind of if Saddles misses
It will blow my mind, in fact, if Saddles isn't top-3 it'll be blown, and I'll be a little surprised if it isn't No.1.

Victim of The Night
I was one of the five to vote for Excellent Adventure, and out of the others on my list that clearly aren't making the Countdown now either (unless there's a major upset in the top 10), it's the one that I thought was most likely to make the bottom half. It's nice to see that it at least came close.

This is another one of those films which has multiple quotes that have made their way into common usage among my friends group. It's a fun time travel romp that doesn't take itself too seriously, and I can't even pass a Circle K anymore without thinking that strange things are afoot. I had it at #10 on my ballot.

My List: 12
02. The Princess Bride (1987) - #16
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #94
06. Brazil (1985) - #48
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #51
10. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) - DNP
11. His Girl Friday (1940) - #26
14. Clerks (1994) - #65
15. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #15
16. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #14
17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #31
19. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #12
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #59
22. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) - #28

I didn't have room for it on my list, in fact, it didn't crack the top-40, but I'm with you, I absolutely would have put Bill & Ted's over about a fourth to a third of the movies that have made it. I guess that's what makes life interesting, different strokes and such.

It will blow my mind, in fact, if Saddles isn't top-3 it'll be blown, and I'll be a little surprised if it isn't No.1.
If saddles is #1, I’ll blow you

Boldly going.
101. Lady Eve (1941) 61p 5 ballots
102. MY Man Godfrey (1936) 61p 4 ballots
103. A Hard Days Night ( 1964) 61p 3 ballots
104. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) 60p 5 ballots
105. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 60p 4 ballots
106. The Shop Around the Corner (1940) 59p 4 ballots
107. Austin Powers: The Spy Wjo Shagged Me (1999) 58p 6 ballots
108. Tootsie (1982) 58p 5 ballots 10th highest rank
109. The Odd Couple (1968) 58p 5 ballots 11th Highest rank.
110. Coming to America (1988) 58p 4 ballots
111. Arthur (1981) 58p 3 ballots
112. A Shot in the Dark (1964) 57p 4 ballots
113. Richard Pryor: Live in Concert (1979) 57p 3 ballots
114. Midnight in Paris (2011) 55p 3 ballots Highest ranking 2nd
115. The Palm Beach Story (1942) 55p 3 ballots Highest ranking 3rd
116. Safety last (1923) 53p 4 ballots
117. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) 52p 5 ballots

118. Liar, Liar (1997) 52p. 3 ballots highest ranking 2nd
119. The Favorite (2018) 52p 3 ballots Highest ranking 7th
120. Defending Your Life (1991) 51p 3 ballots
Disappointed and surprised that Tootsie and Liar Liar didn't make the top 100... I would have bet that Tootsie was in the top 10.

Victim of The Night
Richard Pryor Live in Concert is my #1.

I almost didn't write anything up about this, but I mainly thought I would because sometimes I think that people will automatically like it or dislike it just because of the subject matter and the language Pryor uses. The comedian does use a ton of the N-words (something he later stopped altogether) but MoFos everywhere would still have to enjoy it, that's for sure. He talks about sex, family, racism, pets, drugs, hunting, boxing, heart attacks, sexism, funerals, children, corporal punishment, wet Q-tips, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, long lines, freaky-deaky, The Exorcist, the Vincent Price The Fly, "Macho Man", "dead person", Long Beach, and much more. I laugh longer and more often at this movie than any other movie I've seen, and when I'm not laughing, I'm wearing an enormous smile of recognition.
I grew up watching this over and over.
Just revisited it about 5 years ago and then maybe 6 months ago. Still just a masterwork.

A Shot in the Dark is probably the best of the vintage Pink Panther films, but honestly Steve Martins two features are the best & funniest of the franchise

Midnight in Paris could've made my list, but I don't really love it for the comedic side. On top of that I had two other Woody films and haven't seen it in ages.

I'd be happy if Some Like It Hot didn't make it (absolutely the worst Wilder I've seen).

I would be incensed if Duck Soup didnt.

There is no chance Blazing Saddles doesn't make it.

Did no Peter Sellers make the list? If not, Oof

I'd be happy if Some Like It Hot made it (absolutely the worst Wilder I've seen).

I would be incensed if Duck Soup didnt.

There is no chance Blazing Saddles doesn't make it.

Did no Peter Sellers make the list? If not, Oof

Three different Peter Sellers' roles will make the list. I feel confident on that.

I suspect they may even be in the top 3 of the list.

Three different Peter Sellers' roles will make the list. I feel confident on that.

I suspect they may even be in the top 3 of the list.

Oh, yeah, that is a for sure.

But no Pink Panthers or Being There or The Party...all three of which I thought would be close to being locks

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
101-120: seen 9/20

101. Lady Eve (1941) 61p
102. MY Man Godfrey (1936) 61p
103. A Hard Days Night ( 1964) 61p

104. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) 60p

105. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 60p

106. The Shop Around the Corner (1940) 59p
107. Austin Powers: The Spy Wjo Shagged Me (1999) 58p

108. Tootsie (1982) 58p

109. The Odd Couple (1968) 58p
110. Coming to America (1988) 58p

111. Arthur (1981) 58p

112. A Shot in the Dark (1964) 57p
113. Richard Pryor: Live in Concert (1979) 57p

114. Midnight in Paris (2011) 55p

115. The Palm Beach Story (1942) 55p
116. Safety last (1923) 53p - need a rewatch
117. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) 52p
118. Liar, Liar (1997) 52p.

119. The Favorite (2018) 52p

120. Defending Your Life (1991) 51p
---

Beverly Hills Cop (1984) was my #17.
Interestingly, until now, I've had a hope it gonna make Top 10.
Taggart and "Billy" Rosewood are great characters. I saw this movie at least two times in the theater when it came out and several more times since then.

---

Arthur (1981) is a very good comedy. I've seen it about four times through the years, last time a year ago. Somehow, I forgot it when created my list. Maybe, it would make my Top 40 comedy list or something.
---

Midnight in Paris (2011) - seen it couple of times. Naturally, it is a top class cinema though I've considered ten other Woody films, finally three of them entered my top 25.

I didn't have any in the 101-120- range. Surprised some films considered locks didn't even place there. Anyway, my predictions:

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. The Big Lebowski
3. Young Frankenstein
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
5. Ghostbusters (2016)
6. Airplane!
7. Groundhog Day
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Duck Soup
10. Some Like it Hot

It's still possible something else squeaks in but Holden makes a pretty good case.

Tomorrow:

10. The Breakfast Club (245 points, 15 lists)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My top 10 prediction (which certainly will be wrong)

10. Duck Soup
9. Some like it Hot
8. Blazing Saddles
7. Ghostbusters
6. Groundhog Day
5. The Big Lebowski
4. Airplane
3. Young Frankenstein
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
1. Dr. Strangelove

I've seen a fair share of Chaplin but so far haven't watched City Lights. I'm guessing I'd love it.

Hot Fuzz? Never heard of it, doubt I'd like it.
Hot Fuzz is a funny picture, but not in my top 50. The best part of it IMO is Simon Pegg. He's superb at comedy.

City Lights is certainly one of Chaplin's finest, but I didn't have any Chaplin in the top 25.

This is Spinal Tap was my number 19. Definitely some hilarious material such as the speaker that goes up to 11 and the band discussing why they keep having to replace their drummers. Also enjoyed A Mighty Wind from star Christopher Guest who went behind the camera for that one.

Hot Fuzz was my number 7. The difference between this and Shaun of the Dead was minimal outside of the approach to the subject matter. There's plenty of laughs in Shaun, but there's certainly room for feels as well. Hot Fuzz, on the other hand, has little time for that. It approaches the cop buddy comedy in a more zany, irreverent manner (outside of the dead bodies). There are insults being thrown around a crossword puzzle, Frost annoying Pegg with his references to classic buddy cop pictures and some moments of high verbal wit (where Pegg confuses decaffinated for decapitated). The secret weapon of Fuzz is Timothy Dalton who shows up gleefully begging to be arrested due to him slashing the prices. For pure comedy, I give the edge to Fuzz.

Haven't seen City Lights, but I should get on that as you would say.

None of the near misses made my list. I liked My Man Godfrey, although it's been a while since I've seen it. Mrs. Doubtfire has some comedy moments (it was a run by fruiting) but mixes it in with the emotions. Beverly Hills Cop has some good laughs as well as some questionable moments. I kind of liked The Spy Who Shagged Me more than the original Austin Powers when it came to laughs. Tootsie had similar issues to BHC, but there were funny parts there. Coming to America had some good laughs as Eddie Murphy and his assistant Arsenio Hall try to adjust to this land called America. Arthur, hmm, is kinda just there for me. A few laughs but the whole alcohol is wacky thing has had its run. Midnight in Paris, I felt was more of a light drama than a comedy, but I could have given it a top 20 spot had I thought about it in that way. There were some good laughs in Excellent Adventure, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. And Liar Liar was enjoyable.

Let's take a prediction on my list:
1. His Girl Friday
2. 50 percent. It might have made it or it could have been left out.
3. Bringing Up Baby
4. 100 percent. There'd be riots if this missed out.
5. 100 percent. I'd say it's a mortal lock for the top 5 at this point.
6. 70 percent. It might not be entirely safe, but I'd be surprised if this misses out.
7. Hot Fuzz
8. 85 percent. I'd be shocked if this missed out.
9. Clue
10. Shaun of the Dead
11. Anchorman
12. Office Space
13. The Naked Gun
14. Caddyshack
15. Arsenic and Old Lace
16. A Fish Called Wanda
17. 0 percent. Its window closed when we reached the top half.
18. 0 percent. Probably not enough people remembered it.
19. This is Spinal Tap
20. The Jerk
21. 50 percent. It'd be nice to see it here, but I'm not so sure it shows up now.
22. Animal House
23. What We Do in the Shadows
24. It Happened One Night
25. 0 percent. Curious to see who else voted for this one.

HM: Trading Places, Happy Gilmore, Clueless, Mean Girls

HM1: 0 percent. Much like number 17, I think its best chance was in the bottom half.
HM2: 80 percent. This one feels likely to make it.