The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ok, as we enter our Top 10, here is our fifth pit stop...

Decade Breakdown
  • 1900s = 0
  • 1910s = 0
  • 1920s = 3
  • 1930s = 4
  • 1940s = 5
  • 1950s = 1
  • 1960s = 5
  • 1970s = 9
  • 1980s = 27
  • 1990s = 16
  • 2000s = 17
  • 2010s = 3
  • 2020s = 0

Very even batch this last one, as far as decades go. 2 from the 1970s, 3 from the 1980s, 2 from the 1990s, 2 from the 2000s, and 1 from the 1930s. That means that the 1980s stay comfortably ahead of the rest. Nothing pre-1920s and nothing post 2020s, which I guess was expected.

Recurring Directors
  • Charlie Chaplin = 5
  • Tim Burton = 3
  • Joel & Ethan Coen = 3
  • John Landis = 3
  • Rob Reiner = 3
  • Amy Heckerling = 2
  • Mel Brooks = 2
  • Jonathan Lynn = 2
  • Adam McKay = 2
  • Frank Capra = 2
  • John Hughes = 2
  • Billy Wilder = 2
  • Howard Hawks = 2
  • Harold Ramis = 2
  • Edgar Wright = 2

Two directors jump into the group with TWO films each in this last batch: Rob Reiner and Edgar Wright both had two films in the Top 20. Also, Chaplin gets what is probably his last one to stay at the top of the group.

Finally, one more foreign, if we want to count Hot Fuzz (UK), for a total of seven... and as @Holden Pike pointed out, no more animated films, so we stay at two at this point.

A system of cells interlinked
Great info dump from Holden!

101. Lady Eve (1941) 61p 5 ballots
102. MY Man Godfrey (1936) 61p 4 ballots
103. A Hard Days Night ( 1964) 61p 3 ballots
104. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) 60p 5 ballots
105. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 60p 4 ballots
106. The Shop Around the Corner (1940) 59p 4 ballots
107. Austin Powers: The Spy Wjo Shagged Me (1999) 58p 6 ballots
108. Tootsie (1982) 58p 5 ballots 10th highest rank
109. The Odd Couple (1968) 58p 5 ballots 11th Highest rank.
110. Coming to America (1988) 58p 4 ballots
111. Arthur (1981) 58p 3 ballots
112. A Shot in the Dark (1964) 57p 4 ballots
113. Richard Pryor: Live in Concert (1979) 57p 3 ballots
114. Midnight in Paris (2011) 55p 3 ballots Highest ranking 2nd
115. The Palm Beach Story (1942) 55p 3 ballots Highest ranking 3rd
116. Safety last (1923) 53p 4 ballots
117. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) 52p 5 ballots

118. Liar, Liar (1997) 52p. 3 ballots highest ranking 2nd
119. The Favorite (2018) 52p 3 ballots Highest ranking 7th
120. Defending Your Life (1991) 51p 3 ballots

That... removed surprisingly very few of the possible expected remaining top 10.
The main ones I'm seeing were the Eddie Murphy movies I thought might be outside chances.

Unnamed Ballot Entry #2 is not on that list, so I guess I'm going to keep guessing it, even though, I suspect something around 50 pts is probably the reality of what it got (i.e. just short of the near misses). But who knows at this point.

The Philadelphia Story, Some Like it Hot, Blazing Saddles, The General, and Duck Soup don't seem like they all made it, but none of them are on the near misses either.

But maybe we're overestimating Ghostbusters.

112. A Shot in the Dark (1964) 57p 4 ballots

120. Defending Your Life (1991) 51p 3 ballots
A Shot in the Dark was #17 on my ballot. I figured it was a long shot, but it's nice to see it so close to the Top 100. Easily my favorite Inspector Clouseau film, and one of my favorite Peter Sellers films.

Re: Defending Your Life I had a different Albert Brooks film on my list, Broadcast News, but I am willing to bet it was only on my and maybe one other MoFo's ballot (Holden). Then again, it may just have been mine...

I had Broadcast News at #11.

Oh, none of my ballot was in the 101-120 range. Nice to know I was likely the only person to have voted for them.

ETA: I wonder how many movies are in the 45-51 points range.

118. Liar, Liar (1997) 52p. 3 ballots highest ranking 2nd
Ahhh, shoot! Liar Liar was my #2! I love that film and I think it's Carrey's best work in terms of balancing the family drama and the physical comedy. He nails every scene and never fails to make me laugh.

Here's something I wrote the last time I rewatched it...

I've seen Liar Liar dozens of times, from theater back in 1997 to last night, and it never fails to make me laugh. Smacked down in the middle of Carrey's previous crazy comedies (Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber) and his more serious dramatic attempts (The Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), this one manages to find a perfect balance between his physical comedy and the earnest family drama at its core, and he's pitch perfect in both.

Even though the logistics of how the wish works and how it affects Fletcher in certain situations, doesn't necessarily hold up to close inspection, that is ultimately not important. Carrey pretty much carries the film and makes it work. But he's also surrounded by a solid supporting cast. Another thing I noticed this time that I might not have paid much attention before was how good is Shadyac as a director, but he does have quite a good eye for camera placement and movement.

The script does go a bit overboard in some instances, the last act feels like a stretch, and the epilogue unnecessary, but as long as you're in for some crazy Carrey comedy with charm and heart, then I can't lie, this one's perfect for you.
So yeah, bummed that it didn't make it, but fist-bump to the 2 that also voted for it.

We have really over estimated one movie. Impossible for me to believe Safety Last best The General. I think Duck Soup has to be odd one out.

None of my ballot in the 101-120 range

My Man Godfrey and Safety Last! would have been the two from #101-120 most likely to make my ballot.

Two more of mine were in the 101-120 reveals.

Preston Sturges is one of the giants of cinematic comedy, a brilliant, groundbreaking writer/director who absolutely dominated the field for a decade or so. The Lady Eve scoring kerfuffle left the mighty Mr. Sturges with only one title on the list, and that clawing for dear life at #100. The one I voted for was The Palm Beach Story, which kind of deconstructs the Screwball Comedy while mining it for huge laughs. I hope more MoFos catch up with Preston's work, and maybe if this thing is rebooted down the line he'll have the kind of showing his genius dictates? Or maybe not. The Palm Beach Story was lucky number thirteen on my ballot.

Albert Brooks is another comedic genius, and he won't wind up appearing on the MoFo collective list in any form, not as an actor (Broadcast News, Private Benjamin, Finding Nemo) and not as the actor/writer/director where he shows his full genius. There is an entire thread devoted to him HERE. While my personal favorite of his films remains Modern Romance (1981), I knew that one had zero chance of making the collective cut. I love both Lost in America and Defending Your Life almost as much and I guessed Defending Your Life might have the most realistic shot of placing in the Top 100. Due to it playing more often on cable these days, and because of the Meryl Streep factor. Her presence likely gets it more eyeballs than the other two where the female leads are Kathryn Harrold and Julie Hagerty, both good actresses and perfect for their roles but neither the über-famous, most Oscar-nominated performer in movie history. Plus you add in Rip Torn and the very memorable high concept of trials in the afterlife, and yeah, maybe THAT is the one? Alas, we needed at least one more MoFo with it relatively high on their ballot. It was seventeenth on mine.

I still feel pretty confident that I have half of this Top Ten left on my ballot. But only pretty.

Holden’s Ballot
3. After Hours (#29)
4. His Girl Friday (#26)
5. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (#20)
6. Singin’ in the Rain (#50)
7. Rushmore (#54)
9. Bringing Up Baby (#22)
10. The Graduate (#27)
12. Raising Arizona (#23)
13. The Palm Beach Story (DNP)
15. One Two Three (#86)
16. The Blues Brothers (#21)
17. Defending Your Life (DNP)
22. This is Spın̈al Tap (#13)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1. Animal House (#31)
3. Trading Places (#33)
4. Caddyshack (#25)
5. Stripes (#90)
6. The Hangover (#70)
8. Vacation (#54)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#60)
15. Beverly Hills Cop (#105)
24. The Blues Brothers (#20)

None from my list, here are my ratings

101. Lady Eve (1941) -

104. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) -
+
107. Austin Powers: The Spy Wjo Shagged Me -

109. The Odd Couple (1968) -
+
110. Coming to America (1988) -

112. A Shot in the Dark (1964) -

114. Midnight in Paris (2011) -
-
116. Safety last (1923) -
+
118. Liar, Liar (1997)-
+
119. The Favorite (2018) -

Blimey, I have gone and done it again. I will never get it through my head that it was James L. Brooks, and not Albert, who wrote and directed Broadcast News. For actual Albert Brooks directed favorites, for me it would be Lost in America, which never had a shot at the list, and Defending Your Life, which apparently had a shot!

105. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 60p 4 ballots
Beverly Hills Cop is #4 on my ballot list

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Princess Bride is brilliant. It's funny, exciting, heartwarming, imaginative, full of great cameos and is great meta commentary on the art of storytelling. You people who don't like it are mental.
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it:

There is no movie I would use as a litmus test for whether I like someone. None at all...

...but if I had to pick one, it would be The Princess Bride. I think it's the single-best movie for determining how compatible I would be with someone in general interactions.

111. Arthur (1981) 58p 3 ballots
Also, it is depressing to me how far out of favor something like Arthur has become. Because that has clearly fallen into the abject neglect pile as well, and Dudley Moore's corpse can only shrink even further from the horror of his total shut out in this countdown. Clearly more people need to be watching that...or maybe not. I don't trust any of you anymore
Arthur (1981) is so damn good. It was on my short list (no Dudley Moore joke intended) but I ultimately left it off. Already had too many '80s titles.
Only one or two votes from making the cut. If I had made room for it it was going to be toward the bottom of my ballot, so that alone would not have been enough.