The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think I've mentioned my opinion of both in past spots:
City Lights - I'm not the biggest fan of this one and for all the reasons you watch a movie that isn't necessarily your top choice (following a podcast, local repertoire theater showing something), this frequently ends up being the Chaplin involved.

Hot Fuzz - I found less amusing than Shaun of the Dead (maybe because I'm less familiar with or less of a fan of the action cop movies. I've never seen Point Break), though it still had its moments as I recall (I only watched it once and that was a year or two after it came out). I'm less enamored with Wright/Pegg/Frost than everyone else.

A system of cells interlinked
No votes for me today! City Lights, and Chaplin in general, is a huge blind spot for me. Liked Hot Fuzz, but it didn't have a chance at my ballot.

The best cameo in Hot Fuzz has gotta be Cate Blanchett.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I don't remember all that much about City Lights, but I do recall liking most of Chaplin's other films more than that one. Perhaps I should rewatch it? Hot Fuzz was on my list, a few places down from Shaun.

I think 4 more of the films on my ballot will make it, but that's it...unless there's another huge surprise. I'm curious to find out how many of the others will be on the "just missed" list coming up later.

My List: 12

01. still to come
02. The Princess Bride (1987) - #16
03. still to come
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #94
05. not happening now, and if it did I'd expect riots from some here lol
06. Brazil (1985) - #48
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #51
08. thought it might show up at the lower end, but obviously not
09. still to come
10. a travesty that this clearly didn't make the countdown!
11. His Girl Friday (1940) - #26
12. still to come, but would be hilarious if it didn't
13. never had a chance, but I'll keep voting for it whenever it's eligible
14. Clerks (1994) - #65
15. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #15
16. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #14
17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #31
18. another one I thought might show up at the bottom of the Countdown
19. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #12
20. I wasn't even sure I should vote for this, but the heart wants what it wants
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #59
22. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) - #28
23. almost cut this but didn't. Clearly didn't make the Countdown.
24. didn't have a chance
25. another of you voted for this, but probably nobody else haha

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Not really surprised that Hot Fuzz outranked Shaun of the Dead - its cast of eclectic characters, shaggy mystery plotting, and easy send-up of action movies makes it an easier hang than the comparatively intense Cornetto films that bookend it. It might have been on a shortlist of mine but I'd actually put The World's End above it in an Edgar Wright ranking. Aside from The Kid, City Lights is my main contender for a favourite Chaplin.

Hott Fuzz was #30 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s while City Lights was #5 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s.
& Duck Soup was only #12 on the 30s, it may very well miss this list

City Lights is one of the major Chaplin films that speaks to me the least, it still has plenty to offer but I don't find it nearly as funny as the bulk of his features. But always happy to see Chaplin and thrilled that the two (The Kid & The Great Dictator) from my list were able to appear as well

Not seen Hot Fuzz, but would like to change that

& Duck Soup was only #12 on the 30s, it may very well miss this list
But Shaun of the Dead finished ten places higher than Hot Fuzz on the 2000s list yet below it, here. Compared to previous lists with cross eligibilities, this one has turned out the be the least mirrored in other lists for where or even if something will place.

We will know soon enough, but I have faith in fair Freedonia.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
*Dr Strangelove
*Young Frankenstein
*Airplane
Ghostbusters
*The Big Lebowski
*Groundhog Day
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Duck Soup
Some like it Hot
Blazing Saddles

This is what I got. I took out Tenenbaums, Breakfast Club, and The General.

City Lights was my #10. Chaplain has been talked about a ton and I agree with every sentiment I have read and wrote. So lets give a shout out to the boxing sequence which is one of the coolest sequences in all of cinema. Very cool that Chaplain rocked this countdown 100 years after his movies came out.

Despite liking almost everything I have seen by Wright, I thought Hot Fuzz was horrendous. I will probably watch it again eventually.

As for a few guesses of some "Oh, my God, that's right, THAT didn't even make the countdown" reveals from the Just Missed list later today: There's Something About Mary, Fletch, Liar Liar, Mrs. Doubtfire, The General, Beverly Hills Cop, The Philadelphia Story, The Wedding Crashers, Harvey, Pretty Woman, and Elf.

My stab at 10 in order 1-10

Strangelove
Lebowski
Blazing Saddles
Ghostbusters
Holy Grail
The General
Young Frankenstein
Airplane
Groundhog Day
Some Like It Hot

As for a few guesses of some "Oh, my God, that's right, THAT didn't even make the countdown" reveals from the Just Missed list later today: There's Something About Mary, Fletch, Liar Liar, Mrs. Doubtfire, The General, Beverly Hills Cop, The Philadelphia Story, The Wedding Crashers, Harvey, Pretty Woman, and Elf.
Something About Mary and Beverly Hills Cop surprise me the most. I still think General shows, but that or Duck Soup would be a big surprise.

For better or worse, 101-120 will likely make it very clear what's actually in the top 10.

A system of cells interlinked
I had Liar Liar on my list, but re-watched it just before submission, and it wasn't landing for me. The kid was extra annoying this time around, also. Ended up getting cut. There's Something About Mary has fallen out of favor for being problematic lately, The General still has a chance...not enough Gen X on the site to carry Beverly Hills Cop or Fletch onto the list, Pretty Woman has been forgotten... surprised The Wedding Crashers missed, and it has zero chance of making Top 10.

My top ten prediction:

1. Something hilarious
  2. Something rather amusing
  3. Something I'll find funny but Raul won't
  4. Something that Miss Vicky won't find even remotely funny
  5. Something Allaby will own on vhs, dvd, blu-ray and laserdisc but still didn't vote for
  6. Something Raul will find funny but I won't
  7. Something somebody will have forgotten about when compiling their ballot
  8. Something neither Raul nor I will find funny
  9. Something nobody apparently saw coming despite 17 of them voting for it
  10. Something laughable

*no MoFos were intentionally hurt in the making of this post

Sedai’s post reminded me that Ace Ventura didn’t make it. Thought that was a certainty fir the middle of the lust somewhere before we started. Was super popular with guys my age.