The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Still sticking with my guesses of Unnamed Ballot Entry #2 and Ghostbusters for tomorrow.
Though if we get to the top 5, I'll need to switch from Ghostbusters to something more guaranteed to make it.

I guess we're trying to predict the remaining 12 again?

Holy Grail
Strangelove
Duck Soup
Young Frankenstein
Lebowski
Ghostbusters
Airplane
City Lights
Blazing Saddles
Hot Fuzz
Groundhog's Day
The Philadelphia Story

I think The General doesn't make it.
Will be more than happy to see Unnamed Ballot Entry #2 somehow work its way in there though.

Looking back at my predictions for the top 20, it looks like the only two to show up so far have been Life of Brian and The Princess Bride.
*pats self on the back for calling the latter*

My original predictions just kind of forgot about Annie Hall and Edgar Wright.

Maybe some real dark horses, but I guess we shouldn't be that surprised if Coming to America or A Christmas Story somehow end up in there as well (though the streak of Christmas movies seemed to end a while ago).

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...30#post2320730

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched This is Spinal Tap for this countdown because I've heard so much about how funny it is that I was sure that it would make the countdown. Unfortunately I didn't find it very funny, so I guess it's just another movie that's just not my type of humor.

I really love This Is Spinal Tap. I'd been to enough concerts in the 70s alone that I could totally relate to what they were doing in the movie, but in a comical way. I know the deadpan style of the movie has been talked about, and I love the deadpan humor. I love it that some people, when it was first released, didn't get it and thought it was real. That's how good this movie is.

Part of the best of the movie is the discussion of their music and their albums with titles like "Shark Sandwich" (which a critic called something much more horrible ), "Big Bottom," and one of my favorites, "Smell the Glove." It's just a hysterical movie and I love it and therefore I didn't vote for it.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#9.The Blues Brothers
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#13.Raising Arizona
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
#22.Caddyshack

240 points, 15 lists
Hot Fuzz
Director

Edgar Wright, 2007

Starring

Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jim Broadbent, Paddy Considine

241 points, 14 lists
City Lights
Director

Charlie Chaplin, 1931

Starring

Charlie Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill, Harry Myers, Al Ernest Garcia

I like City Lights a good amount but it wouldn't be a contender for my top 50.

I watched Hot Fuzz once about 2 years ago and I did not like it.

I will post 101-120 this afternoon.

Hot Fuzz is funny and silly but 12th best comedy ever is a pretty bonkers rating in my opinion. Never seen City Lights, I intend to watch it very soon.

Hott Fuzz was #30 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s while City Lights was #5 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two that would have been in consideration for a spot on my non-existent ballot. As mentioned earlier I think Hot Fuzz is the second best of the Cornetto trilogy but still a good bit of fun and would have been the more likely of the two to make it. City Lights mixes emotion with humour very nicely.

Have seen so far: 46 - Hot Fuzz - An interesting buddy cop movie and there was a few laughs here and there.

Have not seen so far: 42

I have not seen This is Spinal Tap and City Lights

My Ballot so far:

#8 - The Hangover (2009)
#9 - Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
#10 - Dumb and Dumber (1994)
#11 - Step Brothers (2008)
#12 - Tropic Thunder (2008)
#14 - Superbad (2007)
#15 – Shaun of the Dead (2004)
#17 - Mean Girls (2004)
#21 - Happy Gilmore (1996)
#25 - Hot Fuzz (2007)

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Pegg/Wright/Frost really nailing it at the top of the list. They do have some of the funniest stuff of the last 20-25 years, though I agree with the poster who preferred Spaced to all of their films (not a knock on the films). I prefer Shaun to Hot Fuzz, so this wasn't on my list.

City Lights is excellent. I didn't put Chaplin on my list but if I had this probably would have been the one.

Ten films to go and there are still 7 from my list that I'm faaairly confident will make it. But there have some curveballs, so we'll see. The unpredictability is a feature, not a bug.

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The joke is on everybody. Mall Cop is top 10.

City Lights was my #4. It's a masterpiece and I thought it would make the top 5. Hot Fuzz is entertaining and fun, but didn't make my ballot. I think 12 is higher than it should be, but what do I know.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
I had 5 out of 6 films on my list going there - numbers 12, 13, 14, 15 and 17. Makes up for a horrid first stretch.

Hot Fuzz was my #19 - the first time I ever watched it I felt really let down. I was just comparing it so much to Shaun of the Dead, and this next film in the Cornetto trilogy was a different beast entirely. When I watched it again, with my expectations lowered by that first time I watched it, I discovered a completely different film - I was delighted by the cast (so many great actors and cameos - Timothy Dalton, Edward Woodward, Olivia Colman, Paddy Considine, Jim Broadbent, Paul Freeman - the list goes on and on and on) and all of the humour really hit me in a way it hadn't before. At the center of it all, a blooming bromance between Simon Pegg's character and Nick Frost's. The film had a satisfying totality to it - the filmmaking was first-class and inventive, the story was interesting and every aspect hit dead-on. It was a damned fine film, and a damned funny one to boot. I can't fully understand why I didn't love it after first seeing it, but sure do now. I see it on nearly equal footing to Shaun.

City Lights is my favourite Charles Chaplin film, and the first of his films I ever watched. If I'd laughed a bit more when I watched it - like I do when I watch a Buster Keaton film - I'd have included it on my list, but I felt admiration for how well done all the clever funny bits were, and never really laughed out loud as much as I'd have hoped I would. I think if I'd been in a theater and people around me were laughing, that might have been enough to really set that reflex off. But, I admire it and still like watching it (I really liked his use of sound effects, so that in the era of sound he was seeing if he could keep his silent schtick going, but still take advantage of what sound could do) Great film, and deserves to be part of this countdown - I'm impressed at how high it managed to rank.

PS - Really surprised that Hot Fuzz outranked Shaun of the Dead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 72½
Films that have been on my radar : 15½
Films I've never even heard of : 2

Films from my list : 13

#12 - My #19 - Hot Fuzz - (2007)
#13 - My #2 - This is Spinal Tap - (1984)
#14 - My #5 - Galaxy Quest - (1999)
#15 - My #6 - Shaun of the Dead - (2004)
#17 - My #24 - The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! - (1988)
#20 - My #12 - Life of Brian - (1979)
#24 - My #18 - The Jerk - (1979)
#30 - My #10 - What We Do in the Shadows - (2014)
#34 - My #9 - Back to the Future - (1985)
#62 - My #13 - The In-Laws - (1979)
#65 - My #21 - Black Dynamite - (2009)
#82 - My #8 - The Producers - (1967)
One pointer - Brewster McCloud (1970)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Reply to Topic