A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Hmm... well, it's possible I'm just not remembering as clearly as you, it's been a few years. I thought his only redemption
WARNING: "pretty spoilery" spoilers below
was death. I mean, in the sense that, yeah, he's trying to do well by his family but he's so flawed the only way he can do it is by sacrificing himself. The family is pulling for him to come through because he's their husband and father, they want him to come through this and be the man they hoped he would be but in the end, all he can do is sacrifice himself to save them. And that's really his only redemption.
That's how I remember it, anyway.
If that's right, I think what the movie was trying to do, which I understood coming from a troubled family, was dangle the possible redemption arc but show that he actually just isn't built for redemption, he can get off the ground but he can't keep it in the air, he will always fail and let them down, and so the film, kindly, gives him the opportunity of self-sacrifice, a form of redemption that only takes strength in the moment and gives him the opportunity to show that, despite all of his seemingly selfish behaviors, he actually does love them more than himself. So he is redeemed but he cannot stay to live out his redemption but their memory of him will be that, in the end, he gave his life for theirs.
I think that this may have been the intent of the film. There's a scene in the middle that majorly foreshadows the end where
WARNING: spoilers below
he goes up to the top of the castle and is clearly thinking about committing suicide.

But the arc of events actually does lean more toward redemption.

So, yes, he hooks up with the prostitute, defensively saying that it was because his wife was denying him sex.

But then once the investigation gets going, he is the one who figures everything out. He is the one who figures out that the boy never died and that the coffin was empty. He's the one who figures out that the duchess kept and tormented the boy to get revenge on the father for leaving them.

Then he's explaining this all to the wife and the police, and the way that they behave toward him makes THEM seem like the dumb ones.

So he gets hauled away where he's interrogated by the police, before mounting an escape to go back and rescue his family.

His wife and daughter, who were willing to fight and run and stab are reduced to crying and clutching each other once he reappears, where he sacrifices himself by throwing himself off the roof cuffed to Giorgio.

I think that what you're saying would actually have been more satisfying. Someone who is falling apart and can't seem to get things right, slowly realizing that some sort of sacrifice is the last great thing he can do for his family. But instead he seems to become more together and capable and smart as the movie progresses, which undercuts that arc.

Victim of The Night
I think that this may have been the intent of the film. There's a scene in the middle that majorly foreshadows the end where
WARNING: spoilers below
he goes up to the top of the castle and is clearly thinking about committing suicide.

But the arc of events actually does lean more toward redemption.

So, yes, he hooks up with the prostitute, defensively saying that it was because his wife was denying him sex.

But then once the investigation gets going, he is the one who figures everything out. He is the one who figures out that the boy never died and that the coffin was empty. He's the one who figures out that the duchess kept and tormented the boy to get revenge on the father for leaving them.

Then he's explaining this all to the wife and the police, and the way that they behave toward him makes THEM seem like the dumb ones.

So he gets hauled away where he's interrogated by the police, before mounting an escape to go back and rescue his family.

His wife and daughter, who were willing to fight and run and stab are reduced to crying and clutching each other once he reappears, where he sacrifices himself by throwing himself off the roof cuffed to Giorgio.

I think that what you're saying would actually have been more satisfying. Someone who is falling apart and can't seem to get things right, slowly realizing that some sort of sacrifice is the last great thing he can do for his family. But instead he seems to become more together and capable and smart as the movie progresses, which undercuts that arc.
Well, like I say, I'll have to watch it again but, even the way you describe it, I think it reinforces the arc. The more he pulls it together the more he realizes that he will never be capable of being the man his family needs. But he can do this for them.
Shame about the crying women, though, I did think that was a bit of a low-point considering how they had been tough enough just a few minutes earlier.
I didn't say this was the Citizen Kane of Horror or anything.

I should concur that Bunny Lake Is Missing is very good. But as that was one watched it my lost years, I don't remember a thing about it. I do have great recollections for pure quality though, and that one stands out

I should concur that Bunny Lake Is Missing is very good. But as that was one watched it my lost years, I don't remember a thing about it. I do have great recollections for pure quality though, and that one stands out

I also know I saw Seance on a Wet Afternoon the same week as this. Equally lost to time, except for the tingling left on my skin that it was something very good.

I think it would qualify as 'horro adjacent' as well. I think

I also know I saw Seance on a Wet Afternoon the same week as this. Equally lost to time, except for the tingling left on my skin that it was something very good.

I think it would qualify as 'horro adjacent' as well. I think
I really like Bunny Lake is Missing, but Seance on a Wet Afternoon is next level.

hey, do you guys think nudity makes a movie better? also, don't you kind of feel like nudity is pretty rare in movies now what with all the metoo stuff. directors are probably too scared to ask an actor/actress to take their clothes off.

hey, do you guys think nudity makes a movie better?
Not automatically, no; it depends on the context, of course.

I don't have too many interesting thoughts about it, just that I liked the performances and thought Peele was able to pay homage to his inspirations while still making the movie tense on its own terms.

Also, it's been a few days and I'm still chuckling about Yeun's assessment of Chris Kattan on SNL, so I thought it was pretty funny as well.
Yeah, Yeun was good in it for how much he was used... I just kind of thought he was a bit wasted in the end, though.

Yeah, Yeun was good in it for how much he was used... I just kind of thought he was a bit wasted in the end, though.
Hey, are you into heavy metal?

Yeah, I was expected more Yeun, but I also have to hand it to the marketing folks for the wildly misleading trailer. Literally nothing hinted at in the trailer happens in the way it's presented there.

Just adding another Yep for Nope. Definitely took things in a different direction than I was expecting but then again I thought that direction worked really well.

Did you used to write reviews on Heavy Metal albums?

Yeah, it's pretty much all I listen to.
Yeah, back on Global Domination.
You also had a huge crush on Jordana Brewster...
I wouldn't say that, but I have always thought she's pretty, at least.

Toolbox Murders, a film whose title I've known for years but I know nothing about the movie itself. It just got added to Shudder.

Yay? Nay?

And since it's me, you know that what I'm really asking is "Will I be upset? And if so, will it be worth it?"