The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Naked Gun. From not even making a 1980s countdown to #17 on a comedy list. I know it's been years but that's shocking.
It makes intuitive sense to me, just because it's so aggressively silly. When judging films as a whole, they can make us laugh, cry, they can surprise us, and so on. The Naked Gun does exactly one thing (humor) and it does it in exactly one way (absurdity). It's the kind of film I put on my comedy list, but not on my 80s list, just because it foregoes (to its credit as a pure comedy!) all the other things movies can do. It is single-minded in its pursuit of hilarity which makes it a great comedy but not a particularly great movie.

In my opinion, at least.

Voted for neither. Having "Naked Gun" kind of hoses the films of this type i.e.:
Airplane, Kentucky Fried Movie, Hot Shots, etc. " The Princess Bride" is a bit of a stunner here. Why, because it's not very good.

I forgot the opening line.
The Naked Gun occupies a place on my list - way down at #24. It's one I really remember seeing in a full cinema, because the whole place was simply erupting with riotous laughter. I've never been amongst an audience laughing so much, and when that final shot comes and we see Nordberg vault from his wheelchair into the air the whole place screamed and applauded. Wow. Anyway, it's not so nice anymore, because he's being played by O.J. Simpson - in fact that part is just plain weird - but I still have to give it to the Zuckers and Abrahams, they were still doing fine work. After Airplane! and this, Leslie Nielson decided he'd stick to comedy for the rest of his career, but he did go on to appear in some of the worst comedies in history. At least at this point, he was a comedic legend.

I've never seen The Princess Bride and didn't even realise it was a comedy, so that reveal was especially surprising to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 67½
Films that have been on my radar : 16½
Films I've never even heard of : 2

Films from my list : 9

#16 - My #24 - The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
#19 - My #12 - Life of Brian - (1979)
#24 - My #18 - The Jerk - (1979)
#30 - My #10 - What We Do in the Shadows - (2014)
#34 - My #9 - Back to the Future - (1985)
#62 - My #13 - The In-Laws - (1979)
#65 - My #21 - Black Dynamite - (2009)
#82 - My #8 - The Producers - (1967)
One pointer - Brewster McCloud (1970)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I vaguely recall liking the Naked Gun movies when I was a kid, but I doubt I'd like them now. I didn't watch The Princess Bride until I was well into adulthood and I didn't care for it at all.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It makes intuitive sense to me, just because it's so aggressively silly. When judging films as a whole, they can make us laugh, cry, they can surprise us, and so on. The Naked Gun does exactly one thing (humor) and it does it in exactly one way (absurdity). It's the kind of film I put on my comedy list, but not on my 80s list, just because it foregoes (to its credit as a pure comedy!) all the other things movies can do. It is single-minded in its pursuit of hilarity which makes it a great comedy but not a particularly great movie.

In my opinion, at least.
I haven't seen the film so maybe it will make more sense after.

If you asked 8-13 year old me for a comedy ballot, both of these probably would have been on them. I have not revisited either as an adult. The idea of revisiting The Naked Gun just makes me wince and think, "ooo...I suspect I'm going to really not like that one as an adult." Though, as a counterpoint, I don't get that same sense of wincing at the idea of Airplane! (Maybe because I remember more of the jokes?)

I'd expect The Princess Bride to probably still be charming in at least some way and if I knew someone who really wanted to revisit it IRL, I'd be curious for that rewatch.

I've never seen The Princess Bride and didn't even realise it was a comedy, so that reveal was especially surprising to me.
Oh yeah, I'd say it's actually more of a comedy than any other one genre, though it really does manage to run the gamut of emotions. It does basically all the things movies can do, which is one of a dozen reasons I adore it.

I forgot the opening line.
Haven't seen either. This has been a shocking countdown. But that's kind of cool. Looks like 14 left
I've got 10 films left on my list where if any of them miss out I'll be absolutely shocked - but if this countdown is anything to go by, at least 6 or so will. So it's going to be one hell of an ending to a countdown.

Oh yeah, I'd say it's actually more of a comedy than any other one genre, though it really does manage to run the gamut of emotions. It does basically all the things movies can do, which is one of a dozen reasons I adore it.
It has a Criterion release, so I'll get to it one day. I know it's adored by a wide range of people.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
*Dr Strangelove
*Young Frankenstein
*Airplane
Ghostbusters
*The Big Lebowski
*Groundhog Day
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Duck Soup
Some like it Hot
Blazing Saddles

This is what I got. I took out Tenenbaums, Breakfast Club, and The General.

Princess Bride is a classic, but it was never an exceptional comedy to me.

I think I've seen Naked Gun once and I remember nothing about it.

A system of cells interlinked
Two more from my list today, with The Princess Bride at #13 and The Naked Gun at #22. The Princess Bride is a classic. The Naked Gun isn't, but man, does it make me laugh to this day. It's funny in a big, dumb way, and the first time I screened it for my wife, she had to get up and run to the bathroom, as the scene in Vincent Ludwig's office had her almost peeing her pants. Not a smart film from any angle, but there it is.

The Princess Bride has a bit more brains behind it, but is still lighthearted fun. Another one with plenty of fun quotes and easy laughs.

I like The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! quite a bit, would most likely have made an appearance on my ballot somewhere. Never seen The Princess Bride, a lot of my extended fambly seem to love it though.

Seen: 44/86

Tomorrow's:
Shaun The Sheep Movie
and
Weird Science

Haven’t seen The Princess Bride since I was a wee-lad , and haven’t seen Nakes Gun even as a wee lad. I’d be surprised if it’s better than the Steve Martin Pink Panther which I totally forgot from my list

I saw the Princess Bride as a teen when it came out and it did nothing for me. It's so popular that I've been meaning to try it again. Eventually some jerk will nominate it for a HoF and force my hand.

The Naked Gun is a blast but it didn't make my ballot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Naked Gun is probably Leslie Nielsen's greatest role and the umpire scene his greatest scene.

A Princess Bride was probably Brenda's favorite book when the movie came out, so we had a romantic evening watching it opening night, followed by dinner. We enjoyed the movie, but she liked the book better. I've always liked it but never loved it, so it didn't make my list, but I especially like Wallace Shawn, Mandy Patinkin and Andre the Giant.

*Dr Strangelove, *Hot Fuzz, *Shaun of the Dead, *Young Frankenstein, *Airplane, Ghostbusters, *The Big Lebowski, *Groundhog Day, *City Lights, *Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Royal Tenenbaums, This is Spinal Tap, The General, Breakfast Club, Duck Soup, Some like it Hot, Blazing Saddles

3 of these are a miss, which if I had to project will be The General, Some like it Hot, and Duck Soup. Crazy.
Of course guessing anything on this frippin' list is proving to be pretty fruitless, but I suspect that only one of the two Edgar Wright movies are going to make it at this late point, not both. Going by what I perceive the push to be on the site between the two, Hot Fuzz may wind up being the one that got the bulk of the votes leaving Shaun of the Dead just outside the Top 100. I think Dr. Strangelove, Airplane!, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Big Lebowski, Duck Soup, Groundhog Day, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Some Like it Hot are all locks and if not the Top Ten then close to it. If This is Spinal Tap winds up at number eleven that will be perfect.

If those assumptions are correct that leaves only four spots. My guess is Ghostbusters, The General, Hot Fuzz, and City Lights. But goodness knows the reveals thus far have shown it could be Pineapple Express, Galaxy Quest, The Wedding Crashers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Little Miss Sunshine, In Bruges, Four Lions, Say Anything..., Grosse Pointe Blank, Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, Tremors, Slap Shot, Ace Venture, or some other thing most of us have written off long ago.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

*Dr Strangelove
*Hot Fuzz
*Shaun of the Dead
*Young Frankenstein
*Airplane
Ghostbusters
*The Big Lebowski
*Groundhog Day
*City Lights
*Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Royal Tenenbaums
This is Spinal Tap
The General
Breakfast Club
Duck Soup
Some like it Hot
Blazing Saddles

3 of these are a miss, which if I had to project will be The General, Some like it Hot, and Duck Soup. Crazy.

From that list, I'd guess The Breakfast Club is the most likely miss (but I also never saw The Blues Brothers coming), then probably Tenenbaums, and The General (maybe this isn't a very Buster Keaton group and as a comedy, everyone broke towards Sherlock, Jr over The General (which was a little more sparse on the jokes than I was expecting when I first saw it, compared to some of his shorts). eg, if I had gone a viable, feature-length Keaton, I'd have done Sherlock Jr and omitted The General).

If there's a fourth on that list that doesn't make it, I suspect maybe only one of the Edgar Wright's show up, but I don't have any strong sense of people preferring one over the other...