The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have two Woody Allen movies on my list and I could have included a few others, but neither were Annie Hall. I like it okay, but I'm not sure it would crack my top ten his films. I figured there was a good chance only Annie Hall would show, just because everyone seems to have their particular favorites and others just don't like him, but I really hoped at least Midnight in Paris would make it. It was a rather surprise hit not all that long ago. It's charming, filled with amusing versions of characters out of history, and has Owen Wilson filling in for the Allen character. Ah well.

Office Space is great, but I never really considered it.
I love Midnight in Paris, but never really considered it for the comedy list.. I did have 1 other that’s not Annie Hall but never had much hope for it

Say what? Woody Allen was convicted of sex crimes??? Uh, I don't think so...then it can't be said he committed them. He was accused by a disgruntled Mia Farrow. I'd hope we'd learn something from the Deep v. Heard trial.
Didn’t he marry his adopted daughter after? Also all the Farrow children seem to corroborate the idea that he’s a creep.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Annie Hall - my #11. I don't take this as a comedy but decided to include it in my list as a last resort to help one of the greatest filmmakers be in this countdown, knowing that the majority of the population that usually dominates social forums are strongly controlled by the ruling regime and this is one of few Woody films the users are allowed to comment positively.
(after the 2000's game and during this one it became very obvious that the population in territories without freedom are commanded not to mention Allen.) How pity... I have no hope for his even better numerous masterpieces from the post-2000 period.

---

Office Space - in my watch list, still not seen.

Top 100 seen 32/84.
(seen one pointers • 4/42)
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]
11. Annie Hall (1977) [#18.]
13. Modern Times (1936) [#39.]

Is Ghostbusters funnier than The Apartment? I'd say yes. Is it better? no.

I think the explanation for the seemingly odd placement of some of these films is twofold:
1, Some people used the criteria that a film had to make them laugh out loud. Hence The Apartment is viewed by many as more of a drama...which then cost it votes.

2, Go out to the street and ask 10 people if they've seen Ghostbusters and The Apartment. I bet anything many more people have seen Ghostusters than The Apartment.
Yeah I don't disagree with any of that. It's essentially my point.

More people have had a Big Mac than a Fillet Mignon with bernaise sauce.

Just did. Think I mostly agree. I should have a review of Manhatten around these parts somewhere. But I’m scared to read it. 😀
I'll read it for you

Didn’t he marry his adopted daughter after? Also all the Farrow children seem to corroborate the idea that he’s a creep.
Probably shouldn't go too deep into this here, as we already have a thread for that...But a quick answer: Woody Allen married Soon-Yi but she was not his adopted daughter, she was Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. Mia Farrow and Woody Allen were never married. Soon-Yi and Woody have been married now for 25 years.

So back to today's reveal. I've never seen Office Space but heard it was funny. I've seen Annie Hall and liked it but I only voted for one Woody Allen film and it's not going to make it....Here's not looking at you kid

Didn’t he marry his adopted daughter after?

It's way more complicated than this. Certainly morally suspect, as for being a terrible husband, but ranks pretty low on anything that has to do with child abuse when what the situation actually was is considered.

Also all the Farrow children seem to corroborate the idea that he’s a creep.

Not their adopted son, Moses, who directly contradicts all accusations and whose version paints Farrow as the abuser.

Basically, these are extremely muddy waters compared to most cases of abuse accusations. Obviously people can draw whatever conclusions they like from what they hear, and then choose or not choose to hate Allen's work because of them, but this case more than nearly any other seems to be completely misrepresented by the media.

Regardless, Annie Hall is still one of the greatest American movies of the 70's.

Also, readying my "Ghostbusters isn't funny" response, which is certainly on the verge of coming into play.
I'm not going to be able to help you too much there. My recollection of it is too damn hazy and I can't even remember which decade was the last time I watched it (it's not on my ballot). In my half-recollection of the experience was that it was a lot less comedic that I remembered it being as a child.

I believe Ronan Farrow supports Dylan. Moses contradicts them.
Soon-Yi Previn, who Woody married, was an adopted daughter of Mia, not his. Double-checking wiki, it looks like she was 21 or 22 at the time. For some reason, I remembered it as her being closer to 18.

I recall reading in Manhattan, in which in the movie, his character has a relationship with a 17 year old girl (which, even without background life info, should probably raise some eyebrows), may have been based off of a real affair he had back in the 70s. Googling, it looks like that was Babi Christina Engelhardt. It was a 7 year affair that started when she was 16 (a very different age than what he's accused of with Dylan, who would have been 7 or 8, I think, according to the accusations). If true, that would have been illegal, because the age of consent in NY is 17 (even at the time). There's a lot of states in the country where that wouldn't have been illegal, just... well somewhere on the scale of "gross" to "highly questionable".

The actual Dylan stuff... gets muddy I've gathered from someone who followed it a lot more closely than I do.
Dylan-stuff aside, Manhattan has questionable aspects in the text in that regard, and its less questionable, real life associations don't make it seem any better.

As others have said, I don't want to get too deep into it since I didn't follow it too closely, but I have less invested in it since I never really got into his more mature films as an adult (questionable stuff aside, I just could never get into Manhattan. Since that was supposed to be one of his "big works," I never felt the need to continue checking out his filmography. I think I did pick up Hannah and Her Sisters at one point. I think he's just not for me).

I'm not going to be able to help you too much there. My recollection of it is too damn hazy and I can't even remember which decade was the last time I watched it (it's not on my ballot). In my half-recollection of the experience was that it was a lot less comedic that I remembered it being as a child.

It's not like I don't think it's funny at all. Bill Murray has some great ad libs. Harold Ramis' Egon is a good comic character. I love Rick Moranis, and he's doing his Rick Moranis thing. Also Annie Potts needs to be considered.

But for me these comedic elements are more pleasant than funny. They are buried in what is mostly a very good action/fantasy/sci-fi/horror hybrid. And I of course loved it as a child.

But then I began to think back on it a few years ago (having not seen it in decades), and aside from the part where Bill Murray is being a sociopath with electric shocks, I couldn't recall why I thought of it as being this really funny comedy. And then I rewatched it and...smiled a lot. But hardly laughed at all, which was probably exactly how I experienced it as a kid.

But, much like Blues Brothers or Back to the Future, even though I don't find any of them particular laugh riots, I think they are all pretty great movies in their own right.

There are only three Monty Python movies (Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Meaning of Life) plus And Now for Something Completely Different, their first cinematic outing which was remakes of some of their best bits from the first two seasons of "Monty Python's Flying Circus".
I guess what I'm saying is I've seen literally every other one of those movies more times than Life of Brian.

Victim of The Night
You think so? I thought all in all the movie was rather faithful, except for the rather cliched (even then) ending. The movie is a bit lighter, but the book is a comedy. Anyhow, it's a shame The Thin Man won't make it, as it may have been on my own list.
The Thin Man? I mean, the mystery itself was the same, but the comedy and romantic stuff not hardly, nor was Nick quite so dashing nor Nora nearly as interesting and neither nearly as funny as in the film. It was actually a pretty hard-boiled murder-mystery.

Victim of The Night
Also, readying my "Ghostbusters isn't funny" response, which is certainly on the verge of coming into play.
Oh, this should be good.
*goes to store to buy popcorn*

Victim of The Night
Annie Hall is the movie that, after a lifetime of seeing things like Everything Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask, Bananas, and A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (all of which I liked to varying degrees), showed me that Allen is, in fact, an artist and a genius. I accidentally re-watched it not that long ago (after thinking maybe I had been wrong and it was good but not that great) and I smiled and laughed more than I had the first time I saw it and more than I have in a long time.
No.11

Office Space is a movie I heard too much hype about when I saw it and I was so let down I sorta couldn't believe it and have just never revisited. I thought it stopped being funny at all about 40 minutes in and then it was just kind of a slog to even finish it. I could go back and re-watch it now with lower expectations - but life is short.

Oh, and Manhattan, while not a comedy, is pretty close to a masterpiece.

Victim of The Night
I don't actually have one.

Anything I would have to say though, I posted in response to Little Ash above.
Rats. Well, I read that and I actually think I understand what you mean. Although I do think it's incredibly funny. But I get your take.
Respect for calling out Annie Potts' performance, which is underrated and overlooked.

It's not like I don't think it's funny at all. Bill Murray has some great ad libs. Harold Ramis' Egon is a good comic character. I love Rick Moranis, and he's doing his Rick Moranis thing. Also Annie Potts needs to be considered.

But for me these comedic elements are more pleasant than funny. They are buried in what is mostly a very good action/fantasy/sci-fi/horror hybrid. And I of course loved it as a child.

But then I began to think back on it a few years ago (having not seen it in decades), and aside from the part where Bill Murray is being a sociopath with electric shocks, I couldn't recall why I thought of it as being this really funny comedy. And then I rewatched it and...smiled a lot. But hardly laughed at all, which was probably exactly how I experienced it as a kid.

But, much like Blues Brothers or Back to the Future, even though I don't find any of them particular laugh riots, I think they are all pretty great movies in their own right.

Yeah, that's matching my hazy recollection of revisiting it. It's beloved in a certain nostalgia though, so I'm pretty sure it's showing up. Just it being all of those other things makes me think it's a good guess to pick for this half of the number 10 instead of the top 10. But maybe I'm underestimating people's love for its comedy and it'll be in the top 10.

Blues Brothers and Back to the Future both definitely showed up higher than I expected. Especially The Blues Brothers, since until it showed up, it never once crossed my mind as one people would think of when they were choosing comedies.

Though I rounded out a lower part of my list with a Jim Jarmusch movie, so it's not like I didn't choose a subdued comedy there.