The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We may be done with titles that haven't appeared on previous lists. Raising Arizona was #40 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s. Bringing Up Baby was #8 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s. The Blues Brothers was #50 on the MoFo 80s List as well as #59 on the original MoFo Top 100. Monty Python's Life of Brian was #41 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

@Diehl40

Could you correct your listing post because the numbers are still of.
His Girl Friday and Caddyshack are both posted as being #25 if you go to the links. And then all the subsequent numbers are off in the posts themselves.

Top 100 Comedies in order.

100. Sullivan’s Travels (1941)
99. The Lady Eve (1941)
98. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (1999)
97. Fargo (1996)
96. Home Alone (1990)
95. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
94. Withnail & I (1987)
93. Evil Dead II (1987)
92. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
91. Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)
90. Stripes (1981)
89. Hausu (1977)
88. The Kid (1921)
87. Clueless (1995)
86. To Be or Not To Be (1942)
85. One, Two, Three (1961)
84. When Harry Met Sally… (1989)
83. The Gold Rush (1925)
82. The Producers (1967)
81. Wayne’s World (1992)
80. Step Brothers (2008)
79. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
78. Beetlejuice (1988)
77. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
76. MASH (1970)
75. Dazed & Confused (1993)
74. Best in Show (2000)
73. Snatch (2000)
72. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
71. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
70. The Hangover (2009)
69. The Nice Guys (2016)
68. Ed Wood (1994)
67. Mean Girls (2004)
66. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
65. Black Dynamite (2009)
64. Clerks (1994)
63. Happy Gilmore (1996)
62. The In-Laws (1979)
61. It’s Such a Beautiful Day (2012
60. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
59. What’s Up, Doc? (1972)
58. Tropic Thunder (2008)
57. Spaceballs (1987)
56. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
55. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)
54. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
53. Rushmore (1998)
52. My Cousin Vinny (1992)
51. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
50. The Great Dictator (1940)
49. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
48. Playtime (1967)
47. Brazil (1985)
46. Heathers (1989)
45. Harold & Maude (1971)
44. Being John Malkovich (1999)
43. Clue (1985)
42. Dumb and Dumber (1994)
41. Borat! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
40. Amélie (2001)
39. Modern Times (1936)
38. Superbad (2007)
37. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
36. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
35. It Happened One Night (1934)
34. Back to the Future (1985)
33. Trading Places (1983)
32. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987)
31. National Lampoon's Animal House (1978)
30. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
29. The Apartment (1960)
28. After Hours (1985)
27. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944)
26. The Graduate (1967)
25. His Girl Friday (1940)
24. Caddyshack (1980)
23. The Jerk (1979)
22. Raising Arizona (1987)
21. Bringing Up Baby (1987)
20. Blues Brothers (1980)
19. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
18. Annie Hall (1977)
17. Office Space (1999)

Switching my ongoing guess to....
Unnamed ballot entry# 2
Ghostbusters

Debating between Annie Hall, Ghostbusters, and The General. Though I have a feeling Ghostbusters is going to be more in the 10-13 spot (numbers pulled out of my ass).

Thanks Dumbear...I hoped one of our resident movie experts would know???
Something called how to succeed with brunettes. Doesn’t look like it’s a movie though. I found the five minute video on you tube. Had to be from something though.

Something called how to succeed with brunettes. Doesn’t look like it’s a movie though. I found the five minute video on you tube. Had to be from something though.
So apparently the Navy showed it to officers for dating advice. Strange world. Hard to see how #metoo ever happened. Lol…but not really.

I'm going to watch that, not that I need any help succeeding with brunettes, I already did

I'd rather it wait anyways. There's a lot of uncertainty still surprisingly
Agreed- to many spoilers revealing these until top ten.

remember in the all time where we were all debating Casablance or The Departed in top 5

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Blues Brothers is a fun movie, but I enjoy it more for the music than for the movie itself.

Monty Python's Life of Brian is another movie that everyone else seems to love, but I just don't find the humor in it funny.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
What movie is that from? I can tell it's from the 1960s but I don't think I've seen it.

This is the video it's from:

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Okay, a bit of a yammering away on these. How much? Had to split it in Private Message to save 'em. So, part one. . .

What We Do in the Shadows (2014) is going straight to Rectification List very soon. Big fan of the TV Series and like the folks in this. I have Jemaine Clement on my "knew it wasn't gonna show but love it" positions.

The Apartment (1960)

C.C. Baxter: The mirror... it's broken.
Fran Kubelik: Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.

CC Baxter is an aspiring numbers cruncher at a very large Insurance firm who works late. Not out of dedication to his work. It's because several executives from the upper floors use his apartment to cheat on their wives.
Now, what could be, with such a premise, merely a simple madcap comedy, Wilder is a genius at finding comedy within some rather tragic circumstances and is brilliant at mixing them together, time and time again. While the comedy is in a larger dose here, its target is something far more in-depth. With Baxter falling in love with Shirley McLain's Fran Kubelik. An Elevator Operator with amazing wisdom and horrible luck when it comes to choosing men.
Again, in what would be a By The Numbers story of a New York boy meets a New York girl, Wilder delves deeper into the flaws of his characters while still retaining the clever wit that is the lifeblood of a Billy Wilder film.

After Hours (1985)

[after witnessing a murder through a window]
Paul Hackett: I'll probably get blamed for that.

With an upward struggle from my first watch being utterly frustrating to my third (so far) watch where the frustration eased, and a few chuckles tumbled out. So, yeah, it has and will grow on me.
I must admit it was via three separate Hall of Fame and most likely take another to see it again. But who knows?

Arsenic & Old Lace (1944)

Mortimer Brewster: Look I probably should have told you this before but you see... well... insanity runs in my family... It practically gallops.

I have always enjoyed Capra since I was a kid; he has a very endearing love for the eccentric and what we now call "feel-good" movies. He pampers his lunatics with safe places and understanding people so they may pursue their craziness in complete happiness. The sane and rational suffer in his world, and this film is an excellent example of that.
From the utterly sweet aunts who poison lonely old men with arsenic-tinged elderberry wine to their nephew "Teddy," who fully believes he's former president Theodore Roosevelt, they are given a kind haven to thrive in. Even the psychotic nephew Jonathan whose inept doctor - played wonderfully by Peter Lorre - who has given him a face that looks like Boris Karloff, has a place in Capra's zany world.
The one individual who has it the hardest is the one who WILL NOT abide his family's lunacy; Cary Grant. The poor fool.
This movie is charming, delightful, amusing, and always brings a smile to my face and my heart. Reminding me of the sage observation by Willy Wonka. "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
Amen.

A truly heartbreaking cut from my list just on nostalgia alone.

The Graduate (1967)

Room Clerk: Are you here for an affair, sir?
Benjamin: (Terrified he had been found out) What?
Room Clerk: The Singleman party, sir?
Benjamin: Ah, yes, the Singleman party.

An excellent film, the clever wit of Writer Buck Henry sets those little moments of quirky uncertainty that Hoffman's Benjamin is trapped within like the proverbial deer in headlights.
For myself, far more a drama, but I get it, glad to see it.

His Girl Friday (1940)

Walter Burns: What do you think I am, a crook?
Hildy Johnson: Yes.

There are some great comedic bits in this. In particular, the side remarks among the other reporters stationed out at the prison. While at the same time, it WAS a bit of a scary mirror to hold up to what the news was allowed to do without little to no responsibility or repercussions. But dwelling on such things is a bit counterproductive for the film itself and its wit and speedy deliveries. So, enough of that.
Rosalind Russell goes toe to toe with Cary Grant for savvy and quick thinking. Making a great and very diabolical team.
I must say, I really felt sorry for Bellamy's character, who played the nice, understanding guy very well.

A shoo-in for this countdown.

***TO BE CONTINUED***

Part Two of this yammering and rambling starts with #14 of my List:

Caddyshack (1980)

Lacey Underall: Who's you decorator? Benihana?
Ty Webb: No, I brought most of that stuff back with me from Vietnam.
Lacey Underall: You were in the war?
Ty Webb: [limping and patting his hip] No... homo. Much better now, though.

An endeared teenage favorite that STILL makes me laugh. Harold Ramis and John Landis write this outrageous ensemble comedy with Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Ted Knight, and for me, the one stealing the show, Rodney Dangerfield. The man has some of the best lines. "He called me a baboon. He thinks I'm his wife." and we VERY often break out into a Rodney Dance.
For Chase, this, along with Foul Play (1978), are my utmost favorite of his. And, of course, Ted Knight is ideal as the righteous Judge Smails, President of the prestigious Bushwood Country Club under siege by debauchery and excessively bad behavior by Staff, Caddies, and most guests. Rounding off with the brutish ad-libbing Bill Murray's gopher hunting half-wit, Assistant Grounds Keeper. "Cinderella Story" is another well-quoted line for us as well.

Did NOT think this would've got so high since I don't think I've ever heard mention of this, so, f@ckin NOICE, MoFo!!

The Jerk (1979)

Nathan: It was never easy for me. . . I was born a poor, black child.

Oh, the pathos!!
Never in my life have I witnessed such a profound sojourn into the human experience that we simple mortals label life!
A reincarnation of the Greek myth, Sisyphus, d@mned to roll a boulder up a hill only to return to the foothills and begin anew. Such arduous endeavors, such climatic adventures!!
And, MY GOD, Fred Astaire, and Gene Kelly wished they were HALF the dancer this colossal exhibit of virtuosity is!

Armed with the purist of wisdom from his family: to know what is sh#t, what is Shinola, that God loves a working man, to never trust Whitey, and see a Doctor and get rid of It; our gallant hero ventures out into the cosmos (aka St. Louis) with the noblest of quests: to BE somebody.
It's not long before he learns what his "special purpose" is and what it's for; this epic propels him forward. Discovering both Everlasting Love and the unerring loyalty of a faithful canine, Nathan reaps treasures abound only to --- I'm sorry, this part is so heartbreaking. . . a moment please while i collect myself before continuing. . .

[heavy sigh]

Only to lose it all!!!!!
OH, THE HUMANITY!!

BUT WAIT!!
In that wretched darkness, our hero garners true wisdom of what he truly needs and that's all he needs:an ashtray, this paddle game, this remote control, and these matches. And that's all he needs. Oh, and this chair, and that's it.

Steve Martin is at his zaniest best.

Raising Arizona (1987)

Hayseed in the Pickup: Son, you got a panty on your head.

I'm not entirely sure, but if not the first, this was definitely one of the first Coens' for me (Fanboy now), and my first viewing was just one continuous "whadaf@ck?" fascination. It took a couple of watches to relax into the surreal, almost hallucinogenic feel of this weird, off-center tale of Baby Napping and its bizarre but hilarious circumstances. Nicolas Cage is a perfect fit and for THE perfect counterweight with her own eccentricities, is Holly Hunter. Coen regular John Goodman does what he ALWAYS does in any Coen film. One incredibly memorable character after the other.

Like I said, a bit lengthy

anyways,

Bringing Up Baby (1938) is one I need to see and should make it to the Rectifying List as well.

Blues Brothers (1980)

Police Dispatch: The use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers -- has been approved.

The Not Ready for Prime-Time Players, aka the original cast of Saturday Night Live, which was an offshoot of National Lampoon, brought about some of the eighty's top outrageous films, and The Blues Brothers reigns in the top echelon of those films.
Written by Dan Aykroyd and the Director, John Landis, we are brought into the world of two SNL skit characters who would basically walk out on stage and perform Blues songs.
Much like watching the Behind the Scenes of any given Rock Band and their insane lifestyles, this film hits the proverbial gold with the two leads, Aykroyd and John Belushi, along with so many great Rhythm and Blues artists, a number of fellow great comedians; including John Candy as a Probation Officer. (Who I feel was underused, but still great to see) and Henry Gibson doing a complete 180 from his characters on TV's Laugh-In, playing an Illinois Nazi. And of course, Carrie Fisher goes all out as the "hell as no fury like a woman scorn," and Kathleen Freeman creates one of the best and most hilarious scenes reprimanding Jake and Elwood as Sister Mary Stigmata.

"On a mission from God", the boys have to get the band together and then raise $5000 to save the orphanage they were raised in while being chased by County Police, Nazis, and Good Ole Boys while miraculously surviving the heavy arsenal of weapons that Fisher's character continually unleash on them.
All of the time, both of our Blues men retain a calm demeanor that brings so many chuckles throughout so many of their adventures.
Delinquents of the highest order, Jake and Elwood go from one scrape to the next in between a slew of great musical numbers thrown in and, must we forget, one helluva a car chase with an ungodly amount of crashed police vehicles that escalates to such excellent extremes.

Many modern "obnoxious" films should study such films and learn a thing or two about how far to go without falling over the edge and killing the joke.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Sh*t YES

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)

Follower: Excuse me, are you a virgin?
Brian's mother: I beg your pardon?
Follower: Well, if it's not a personal question - are you a virgin?
Brian's mother: If it's not a personal question? How much more personal can you get? Now, piss off!
[shuts the windows]
Follower: She is.
[the crowd nods in agreement]

Coming in a close second to The Holy Grail this is top-notch Python and with how much I adore Python it was that much a heartbreak to cut it from my list.
From Brian (Graham Chaplin) calling out his wares: Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar. Tuscany-fried bats. to the absurdity of worshipping a Messiah with the iconic "You're all individuals." "We're all individuals." to singing "Look on the Bright Side of Life" from a crucifix, the Python boys have a brazen sarcasm to any and every theology and it's a godd@mn f@ckin joy to behold.

Watched: 68 out of 82 (82.92%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
2. Would have been a happy surprise; ship go bye-bye; I eat a LOT of ice cream
3. Gonna be in the Top Ten
4. Long past its due date
5. Has a little bit of life left, maybe
6. F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
8. Locked for Top Ten
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
10. Wasn't gonna happen, but f@ck how it makes me laugh
11. Something I never thought had a chance, but by conversations, I've read. . . ??? Annd back to not freakin likely
12. I thought, at least, maybe the back fifty. F@ck me till I giggle if it shows in the next ten or so
13. Locked. Cocked. Thank You, Goodnight, Position
14. Caddyshack (1980) #25
15. Yeah, NO WAY, but f@ckit, I'm calling a #10 on this'n
16. OK, this one kinda pisses me off in a kinda snobby "No, good sir, f@ck not only you but each and every one of your associates. So, yes, if you please, gag, choke, die. You pick what order. Now, off with you."
17. Um, let's see, I. . . think, I'm gonna go with. . . um, yes. #6, yes, please, thank you
18. F@ck, I already know; I'll have a #4, thanks
19. Was hoping for a spot in the back twenty. . . oh well, boo effin hoo pour moi lol
20. Oh, I knew -- I KNEW::evil laugh:: -- sorry, um, I'll have a #10 as well
21. How about I go Large on the #10 and gimme a #20. Awesome, thanks, dude
22. Oh MY God! Gimme THAT. #20 for me too.
23. I'm dieting, so - f@ckin delish, Do enjoy, but, yes, a #10 ONLY, if you'd be so kind and thank you - LOVE your scarf.
24. Animal House (1978) #31
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67