The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This perfectly describes my reaction to the film, as well.
One of my biggest criticisms is that it didn't have more than just a couple Simon and Garfunkel songs. Coulda used some more stuff from the first three albums. Where was Homeward Bound or I Am a Rock?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Graduate is a good movie that seems to get better each time I watch it, but I don't find it laugh out loud funny, so I didn't consider it for my list.

His Girl Friday was on my original list when this countdown was announced, but it was one of the last few cuts from my list. It's a great movie, and I'm glad to see that it made the countdown without my help.

It was on television a few years after its release that I first saw The Graduate and not even a teen yet, I totally connected with it and loved it. For the romance first, then the comedy later, then the statement it was making. Funnily enough, when I first saw it uncut, I was surprised how little the editing of it for television had affected it. Sure, some quick flashes of nudity of Bancroft, and maybe a cuss word or two. But the total thrust of the movie was intact the first time around. The more I saw it, the more I loved it. It truly is a classic but anything I say falls short of the watching experience. Trust @mark f and his review, which put it best I think. My one Dustin Hoffman pick hasn't shown yet, if it even does.

His Girl Friday is a brilliantly-written, fast-paced comedy, with a few thrills along the way. One of Cary's best but I've already posted my one Cary pick for the list. Two great films for the day.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#11.Arsenic and Old Lace
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Today I'll guess This is Spinal Tap and Monty Python's Life of Brian as the pair.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
If anything from the Jackass series is #1, I will riot.
It's what the boys would want.

191 points, 13 lists
Caddyshack
Director

Harold Ramis, 1980

Starring

Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, Michael O'Keefe

191 points, 14 lists
The Jerk
Director

Carl Reiner, 1979

Starring

Steve Martin, Bernadette Peters, Catlin Adams, Mabel King

Have seen so far: 41 - Caddyshack - Saw this movie recently and thought it was meh, didn't care for it.

The Jerk - This movie was okay, not a fan of Steve Martin really

Have not seen so far: 36

I have not seen The Graduate and His Girl Friday

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I know I repeated 25. I am just trying to correct the mistake I mentioned yesterday

A pair of great comedies. Obvious entries on any comedy list. I didn't have either on mine but The Jerk would have made a top 50 and Caddyshack has Bill Murray doing his thing

I see some of you posting This Is Spinal Tap as predictions for the next film day after day only to be disappointed. Let me save you the trouble and let you know to hold off on that until we hit the top 11.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Once again I might incur in the wrath of MoFo'ers, but I just didn't care for Caddyshack. Here's what I wrote about it...

"The film is [...] hindered by a poorly written or executed lead character in Danny. Despite him being the lead, I couldn't care less about his subplots; whether it was his romantic struggles with his girlfriend, or his overall goal of going to college. But the thing is that I don't think the writers or the director (Harold Ramis) cared either. His subplot seemed to serve more as a loose binding thread in the backdrop, while leaving the foreground to the shenanigans of Chase, Dangerfield, Knight, and Murray. To make matters worse, I'm not a fan of Dangerfield, so I just couldn't get into his schtick and found myself wanting to punch his character in the face most of the time. Chase, on the other hand, was a saving grace and his scenes were the best ones in the film."
So yeah. Sorry.

I don't think I've ever seen The Jerk, but if I did, I don't remember it at all.

Seen: 56/76

My ballot:  

Haven't seen either film.

The Jerk was my #5 film.

The thing that's shocking about The Jerk is how well it holds up. So, so many older comedies feel slow now. Maybe this is down to shortened attention spans. Whatever the reason, the attempted-laughs-per-minute of modern comedies is way higher than it used to be, and comedic sensibilities, I think, can change a lot more from generation to generation than basic storytelling, drama, etc...

The Jerk, however, still feels modern. It was wildly ahead of its time with its reliance on absurdism and dadaesque humor, almost all of it played straight, and all of which are far more prominent now. Jokes that are half based only in the inflection ("all the stuuuuufffff..."). It's jarring how fresh it still feels after all these years.

The Jerk is funny and Steve Martin is fantastic in it. Caddyshack was moderately amusing. I'm not surprised to see both on the list. I have The Jerk on dvd as part of a Steve Martin box set and I have Caddyshack on dvd as part of a 20 film comedy box set. Still at 100% seen. I've got my fingers crossed that I will remain at 100% seen once the list is finished being revealed.

Reply to Topic