The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Updating ballot so far:
Percents given were guesses of likelihood the movie would still show up after we got to spot 40. Not updating those percentages/guesses.
seen: 52/72 = 72.22%
WARNING: spoilers below

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) (#61)
2. 60% (at the beginning of the list, I would have put this at 90%)
3. 90%
4. House (1977) (#89)
5. 15%
6. Brazil (1985) (#47)
7. 30%
8. 33%
9. 1%
10. 50%
11. 50%
12. Fargo (1996) (#97)
13. 20%
14. 10%
15. 0.1%
16. 90%
17. 33%
18. Heathers (1989) (#46)
19. 85%
20. The Apartment (1960) (#29) - 90%
21. Evil Dead II (1987) (#93)
22. 5%
23. Best in Show (2000) (#74)
24. 0.01%
25. 0%: The Phantom of Liberty (1974)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've heard of What We Do In The Shadows, but I thought it was a TV show, and I didn't know that it was a comedy, so I haven't seen it.

The Apartment is a great movie, but it has a bit too much drama in it so it didn't make my comedy list. I'm happy, and not surprised, to see that it made the countdown.

What We Do In the Shadows I've seen only once but I truly enjoyed it. My favorite part(s) were when the rest of the guys would come to the silent but attentive Petyr to air their grievances. He was the perfect shoulder to lean on. But it was totally funny.

The Apartment is an all-time classic. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine make the perfect couple even if
WARNING: spoilers below
they're not really romantically together till the very end of the film.
And like a lot men my age or near-about, I grew up crushing on Shirley really hard in movies around this era in her career. She was so radiant and lovable. And Billy Wilder could do no wrong with this material. A true master at work. Did not vote for either. I didn't expect the former to make it and I figured this one would show easily and not need my help at all.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Nice to see What we do in the Shadows featuring in the list. By far my favourite Waititi movie.
I would urge everyone to give Waititi's Boy a watch, if you haven't.

Also, another funny movie to recommend from Down Under but not by Waititi would be Housebound

167 points, 11 lists
After Hours
Director

Martin Scorsese, 1985

Starring

Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Verna Bloom, Tommy Chong

170 points, 11 lists
Arsenic and Old Lace
Director

Frank Capra, 1944

Starring

Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, Raymond Massey, Jack Carson

Have seen so far: 39 - After Hours - The movie was aright, it didn't really catch my interest.
Have not seen so far: 33

I have not seen Arsenic and Old Lace

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Trivia: After Hours It would have taken Paul approximately 1 hour and 47 minutes to walk home. (The distance between Paul's uptown apartment and Kiki's Soho Loft. is 5.3 miles.

Never heard of either of these.

I know I've seen both After Hours and Arsenic And Old Lace but neither for many moons and as I can't honestly say how I felt about either I think it's only right I not count them as seen in the statistics.

Seen: 38/74

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
After Hours was 11 for me. Glad to see it here.

Seen both twice and I’m way in the minority on both. I find neither entertaining, funny, or interesting. Unfortunate with all the talent involved on both sides of the camera. Maybe next time.

After Hours is my least favourite Scorsese film. It's not bad, but I don't recall finding it funny and it isn't as great as most of Scorsese's other films. It's been years since I have Arsenic and Old Lace. I recall being underwhelmed by it. I own the dvd though, so I'm due for a rewatch at some point. It was just recently announced that Arsenic and Old Lace is being released on blu ray by the Criterion Collection this coming October.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Ah the Comedy Countdown, where even when stuff is half-expected, you always feel surprised...

After Hours I've seen, but it's been a long while. When first watching it, I was blown away and it went straight on my list of 'important films', but I'm not sure if I've watched it since. A film about one fraught night, where a lot happens to that American Werewolf in London guy. I don't remember specifics, but I remember it generally pretty well. Obviously, I'm going to have to watch it again before long - I still remember the impression it made on me.

Arsenic and Old Lace I watched very, very recently however - it was nominated for me in a Personal Rec Hall of Fame. Gary Cooper (edit - ahem, Cary Grant) overacts a bit, but that's part of it's charm actually. Peter Lorre is great - as are quite a few of the other actors. Probably birthed the whole "hide the corpse" comedic cliché. After making it, Frank Capra went off to war - and ever since our local community theaters have been absolutely butchering the material.

I was kind of expecting the latter - but After Hours is a turnup for the books at this late stage. Well done Comedy Countdown!

Seen : 58½/74

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I haven't seen either of these.

Another day, and another film from my list that I wasn't sure was going to make the Countdown this far along. Cary Grant might not have liked his performance in Arsenic and Old Lace, but I love it. He makes the film with his over-the-top reactions. I had it at #22.

Given my intense dislike of After Hours, it's probably not a surprise that I didn't vote for it. I've seen it multiple times, and it's always been a slog to get through. I knew it was going to make an appearance sooner or later though. I wish I saw what everyone else seems to see in it.

Seen: 45/74

My List: 7
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
06. Brazil (1985) - #47
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
17. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #30
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58
22. Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) - #27

Arsenic and Old Lace I watched very, very recently however - it was nominated for me in a Personal Rec Hall of Fame. Gary Cooper overacts a bit, ....
Did he overact so much he actually fooled people into thinking he was Cary Grant

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
Did he overact so much he actually fooled people into thinking he was Cary Grant
Ooooooooooooops - all these old timey male sex symbols start to meld into one for me.

Reply to Topic