A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I think those labels have weird distribution deals. I got my copy from Diabolik DVD, and I see they have another release (with fancy slipcover) in stock.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...ay-all-region/
Nice! It seems like the Code Red went OOP from most distributors. I spent all my movie money for the month on Criterions but hopefully this’ll stay in stock till next month. Appreciate it

I spent all my movie money for the month on Criterions but hopefully this’ll stay in stock till next month.
The eternal struggle (replace with your boutique Blu-ray label of choice).

Victim of The Night
I actually can't believe how terrible Rob Zombie's The Munsters appears to be.
I mean, beneath... just... I don't even know what to say.

It's going to be better than you think.

Same. I'm as close to the target audience for this as it gets and I just cannot grasp what he's going for. It looks like a 90s made-for-Nickelodeon production. And yet the makeup for Grandpa is good enough to suggest that some care has gone into this. Baffling.
And I'm not a Sheri hater, but she just seems completely out of her element here. I need to see an interview with Rob where he explains himself because I'm very confused right now.

Victim of The Night
Same. I'm as close to the target audience for this as it gets and I just cannot grasp what he's going for. It looks like a 90s made-for-Nickelodeon production. And yet the makeup for Grandpa is good enough to suggest that some care has gone into this. Baffling.
And I'm not a Sheri hater, but she just seems completely out of her element here. I need to see an interview with Rob where he explains himself because I'm very confused right now.
I also feel like I am the bullseye of his target (I've enjoyed almost all of his films more than anyone else I've known AND I love The Munsters) - and yet I am flat-out flabbergasted by what I'm seeing. It looks like you and I are on the same page exactly in our reaction, I was gonna say that it looks like a daytime children's/young-adult television show from the 1990s. And yeah, Sheri, who I like even if she's not a great actor, just seems terribly miscast... and yet not as much as Herman. What the f*ck?
I mean, this whole thing doesn't even look like a professional production. And I'm hearing that maybe it's not, that it's basically being considered a throwaway project by Universal, that there's almost no budget, which, despite what he has said, he was allowed to cast his friends and regulars in his low-budget project because there is no budget for this really. And it looks like it.
Now, I'll laugh my ass off if it turns out Zombie is trolling us, but jesus this makes Bride Of Boogedy look like Gone With The Wind.

29th Hall of Fame (REWATCH)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) -

I was looking forward to revisiting this as it was one of my favorite science fiction and horror films from my mid-to-late teen years. As expected, it held up really well, perhaps even better than I remembered it being.

Since my first viewing, I've read some essays which politicized this film's themes. They make sense as, whenever you make a horror film about the infiltration by undesirable elements, you're opening the doors to all kinds of political readings, like the post-war paranoia of totalitarianism or McCarthyism which were common around the time this film was released (since the film doesn't name what system or ideology it's criticizing, this ensures it won't lose its relevance). While these interpretations are nice though, I prefer to just focus on how tense and scary it is.

The film successfully captures the fear of everyone around you acting different and not being able to do anything about it. This is the kind of uneasiness I feel whenever someone I think I know and trust suddenly starts revealing their true colors. This often comes without warning and, the more time I spend around them, the more pronounced their behavior gets. When this happens, I often sense there's nothing I can do about the situation as bringing this up might worsen the issue. Having been around several, let's just say, unpleasant people since the first time I watched the film, I found its themes far more resonant this time around. Coupled with the ways the film subtly reveals which characters aren't who they say they are and how the aliens hide what they're doing pretty well gives this theme that extra bit of resonance which clinches its status as a great film (while I'm a fan of the '78 remake, I felt it faltered in this regard since the aliens were more conspicuous about their intentions in that film).

I also found some of the alien effects really memorable. The shots of the truckloads of pods are unsettling and the hatching scene sent chills down my spine since it was far more creepy than I remembered it being. Certain scenes being shot at an angle was another nice touch to the film since it was done sparingly enough to prevent it from feeling overused.

As for any criticisms, I can't think of anything which bugged me. Some people took issue with the film's narration, but since what we're watching is a frame narrative, I'd say it suits the film just fine. I've also seen some criticism over the ending, but while I would've enjoyed the film just fine if it ended the way Siegel had intended, I found the studio's enforced final scene effective as well, just for a different reason.

As I said, I had really fond memories of this film when I first watched it and this viewing solidified it as one of my favorite genre films.

The Child's Play remake is literally unnerving me. Is that correct grammar? I mean, I enjoyed Cult of Chucky well enough, but it was getting samey. Chucky is essentially a collection of killings by a dorky doll with a Chicago accent and a lot of false accusations of insanity depending on the protagonist. It gets tiring to the point of begging to God, and I welcome difference in movie series' if it works. This works pretty freakin' well. I don't know if it's better than the original, but it's definitely better than all the sequels so far.

The Child's Play remake is literally unnerving me. Is that correct grammar? I mean, I enjoyed Cult of Chucky well enough, but it was getting samey. Chucky is essentially a collection of killings by a dorky doll with a Chicago accent and a lot of false accusations of insanity depending on the protagonist. It gets tiring to the point of begging to God, and I welcome difference in movie series' if it works. This works pretty freakin' well. I don't know if it's better than the original, but it's definitely better than all the sequels so far.
Hated it.

I was looking forward to revisiting this as it was one of my favorite science fiction and horror films from my mid-to-late teen years. As expected, it held up really well, perhaps even better than I remembered it being.

Since my first viewing, I've read some essays which politicized this film's themes. They make sense as, whenever you make a horror film about the infiltration by undesirable elements, you're opening the doors to all kinds of political readings, like the post-war paranoia of totalitarianism or McCarthyism which were common around the time this film was released (since the film doesn't name what system or ideology it's criticizing, this ensures it won't lose its relevance). While these interpretations are nice though, I prefer to just focus on how tense and scary it is.

The film successfully captures the fear of everyone around you acting different and not being able to do anything about it. This is the kind of uneasiness I feel whenever someone I think I know and trust suddenly starts revealing their true colors. This often comes without warning and, the more time I spend around them, the more pronounced their behavior gets. When this happens, I often sense there's nothing I can do about the situation as bringing this up might worsen the issue. Having been around several, let's just say, unpleasant people since the first time I watched the film, I found its themes far more resonant this time around. Coupled with the ways the film subtly reveals which characters aren't who they say they are and how the aliens hide what they're doing pretty well gives this theme that extra bit of resonance which clinches its status as a great film (while I'm a fan of the '78 remake, I felt it faltered in this regard since the aliens were more conspicuous about their intentions in that film).

I also found some of the alien effects really memorable. The shots of the truckloads of pods are unsettling and the hatching scene sent chills down my spine since it was far more creepy than I remembered it being. Certain scenes being shot at an angle was another nice touch to the film since it was done sparingly enough to prevent it from feeling overused.

As for any criticisms, I can't think of anything which bugged me. Some people took issue with the film's narration, but since what we're watching is a frame narrative, I'd say it suits the film just fine. I've also seen some criticism over the ending, but while I would've enjoyed the film just fine if it ended the way Siegel had intended, I found the studio's enforced final scene effective as well, just for a different reason.

As I said, I had really fond memories of this film when I first watched it and this viewing solidified it as one of my favorite genre films.
Definitely my favorite.

Any love for the '90s version?

I haven't seen that version yet.
Are you against it, or just haven't found the opportunity? I think it's a decent addition.

Now, you can definitely skip The Invasion.

With the caveat that I'm not really familiar with the source material, it seems like he's trying to go back to the style he had in House of 1000 Corpses, but...what a world of difference it makes shooting on film vs (I assume) digital. While I don't love the older movie, I do think that chintzy, zany horror host vibe comes through. This just looks hideously cheap.

Are you against it, or just haven't found the opportunity? I think it's a decent addition.

I'm not necessarily against it. Just haven't given it much priority. I might get to it at some point though.

Been watching some shark movies for shark week:

The Requin

Lazy and terrible. Can’t believe the director of Furie made this. I can only guess that Hollywood decided this foreign director didn’t merit or deserve any money or time in making this flick.

1/5

Red Water

A rare DTV shark movie where everyone actually seems to care and try, despite their limited means. I wrote way too much about it.

https://boxd.it/33NolV

3/5

At the risk of repeating myself, that's a good one on the whole, but like a lot of old school Sci-Fi, it is SO unnecessarily talky and hand holdy with all the dialogue and exposition. I mean, there's a scene where we literally watch the protagonist looking up and seeing something, and then he tells us in voice over what he saw; why didn't they just show us what he saw, like it's in a primarily visual medium?!

Haven't seen the Ferrara one. Some movies get the unfortunate designation of, "saved to watch with friends at a future date." And this one's gotten set for a few years from now (for Rock, same night as Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder in Hell).

I think I've been at least positive on all Ferrara stuff I've seen, though The Addiction left me a little cold, and deserves a rewatch.

The general consensus I've seen on the last two entries online is, Ferrara made a worthy addition, the last one with Kidman is... not good.