19. still some minimal hope
20. still some minimal hope
21. good chance
22. no chance at all
23. still some minimal hope
24. still some minimal hope
25. still some minimal hope
---

Wow, I thought that I have no chance reaching 10 strikes. Now, as if there is a good probability to do it.

Back to the Future is great. Would probably make a sci-fi list of mine. But as a comedy it was not in consideration.*

I’m in doubt of whether I’ve seen Trading Places. I feel like have, but it’s been ages and it might have been in parts on tv. So yeah, no votes from me there either.

I feel like Marx Bros are due for an appearance, unless it’s going to be just Duck Soup, but I feel like Night at the opera has to be a lock as well

Back to the Future is great. Would probably make a sci-fi list of mine...
Believe it or not, it never occurred to me that Back to the Future is sci fi. Which just goes to show how differently people perceive things.

I feel like Marx Bros are due for an appearance, unless it’s going to be just Duck Soup, but I feel like Night at the opera has to be a lock as well
It would be sweet to have the Marx Bros represented on the countdown and I'm not even their biggest fan. I'm hoping for a Jack Black movie

For tomorrow, I'm going to guess, Some Like Hot* and Life of Brian**.

Though it feels like if my #3 is making the countdown (starting to feel like below 50% odds now), it's going to be showing up soon, so maybe I should start guessing that, but going to stick with these two for now.

*: I always underestimate the popularity of this to The Apartment, so I'm probably guessing too early.

**: I think both Python's make the list, but there's going to be a gap, and it's a random guess as to which way the forum broke, but I think Grail is going to be the higher/consensus pick.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love Back to the Future, but it was a tough decision for me as to whether or not to include it on my list as a comedy. It fits in to several genres, but I wasn't sure if I considered it to be enough of a comedy, so I decided to rewatch it, and focus more on the comedy this time. After the rewatch, I realized that it shines just as much as a comedy as it does as an adventure, and as a sci-fi movie. It was #6 on my list.

Trading Places is another movie that isn't my type of humor, but at least it's better than most of the other movies that have made the countdown that aren't my type of humor.

I forgot the opening line.
So, with all of this subjectivity over what is and isn't a comedy I'm faced with a reverse of the usual situation I was having, and one of my comedies in Back to the Future is seen differently in some people's eyes. That's a wake up call for me, as I now understand a little more that we all have a mental place where we put our favourite films in certain classifiable genres which, when mixed, still has a 'dominant-genre-first' spot. So when I think Back to the Future it's in my 'comedy/sci-fi section', which I've always abbreviated to 'comedy'. It reminds me of the first time my brother-in-law saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and called it a good comedy. My mind stopped in it's tracks for a moment, thought about it, and reckoned that 'comedy' is a pretty apt description for Last Crusade - while there's action and adventure, the jokes in that film come at a more steady and continual pace than the exciting stuff.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I don't think the debate over whether this or that movie being a this or that genre necessary threatens the integrity of this or that list.

Most movies fall into multiple genres or subgenres and are bound to excel in some capacity more than others and are bound to be memorable to different people for different reasons. That ambiguity is reflected in these lists because movies with questionable merit as comedies appear on fewer lists, and even those that are indisputably comedic but are perhaps weaker representatives of what we think of when we say "comedies" also generally appear further down the lists they do appear in.

And in such cases where people just love a movie and want to count it regardless of it's comedic substance, it's also getting some value just from being a good movie in general.

I think the posts here about however many of these movies haven't shown up in other countdowns before this point also serve to show that these lists aren't just "all my favorite movies excluding ones without at least one joke".

Back to the Future is a five-star movie for me, no matter what category you put it in. It hits on all cylinders and is fabulous entertainment. I'm glad to see it here.

I really enjoy Trading Places and I totally see it for the comedy it is. Everyone does a great job and I was pretty stunned (and a bit pleased) to see old-timers like Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche being as coarse as they were. It's still pretty great stuff.

I voted for neither.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
@Diehl40 what about after revealing #31-32 and before continuing with top 30, stop for a day and reveal The Ten that just missed the cut: #101-110. Just give these ten at once in a single day (with points and number of lists of course).
I think, this will give additional thrill to the users.

@Thief did something like that for the 2000's countdown. It was very interesting.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
As the clubhouse leader for predictions (as I also was for @Thief 's 2000s countdown) I will predict the following for tomorrow:

Airplane

AND

Duck Soup

Believe it or not, it never occurred to me that Back to the Future is sci fi. Which just goes to show how differently people perceive things.
Well, I understand why. Cause the sci-fi element is more used to put a totally different kind of story in motion. It’s not like it’s the main thing, so to speak.

As for main genres, I’d say it’s an Adventure. I saw someone mention Last Crusade as a comedy and I totally get that. It’s very funny. But I would also categorize that ad Adventure and overall I feel that genre can hold a lot cause it’s all about going on an adventurous journey into the unknown and anything can happen.

But yeah, overall, genres doesn’t matter. We can’t really avoid talking about it in an actual genre-list here, but ultimately I don’t care for genres. Some of the best films of all time don’t have a definitive genre.

I missed a couple of days. And two films made the list proper and another honorable mention:

Anchorman was my #11. It's a comedy that blends plenty of laughs with insights as Ron and the rest of the members of his team learn about the challenges that female anchors have on breaking into the broadcasting business in the 1970s (okay, maybe learn is a reach). It knows enough to blend in character foibles with clever cameos and ridiculous moments to stand out in the modern comedy world.

It Happened One Night was my #24. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert do make for a sharp team as a reporter gets a chance at a scoop as he befriends a runaway heiress hoping to reunite with her husband. Although its view of women isn't the best (one scene where the reporter and her father talk about how she deserves at least one smack a day!), there are some hilarious scenes involving the wall of Jericho, lessons in dunking doughnuts in coffee and differences in hitchhiking methods (I liked the one scene where Gable convinces an interloper on the train to back off.)

Trading Places is an honorable mention. Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy show good chemistry as they both face reversals of fortune due to a wager between two rich people. Eddie proves to be sly as the fast talking con artist who starts to adapt to his new life while Dan finds comedy through misery as he hits rock bottom. The scene where the old men explain to Eddie about commodities through a breakfast tray (including gold bars which should be a part of everyone's breakfast).

I liked Back to the Future well enough, but I didn't find it funny enough to place it on my list. Good for those who did, though.

My List:

9. Clue
11. Anchorman
16. A Fish Called Wanda
24. It Happened One Night

HM: Trading Places, Happy Gilmore, Clueless, Mean Girls

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
My list is pretty boring though, so you can probably drop me back down a few places.
I don't know there's been some great gems from you so we'll adjust as we go lol

157 points, 12 lists
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Director

John Hughes, 1987

Starring

Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins, Michael McKean

163 points, 12 lists
Animal House
Director

John Landis, 1978

Starring