The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yup...I find everyone's take on what is and isn't comedy to be interesting...'illuminating' might be a better word for what's becoming a phenomenon on this countdown.
Best of XXXX Year isn't really debatable, but when I did the Action Movie Countdown the same thing happened with a lot of people voting in movies they really liked where Action was present, but not a focus.

My stated criteria was "when you think ACTION you think of this movie".

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
*sigh* I'm losing hope in one of my top picks
I've got several that, even when I made my List, I KNEW wouldn't show but loved them too much NOT to have them. Including my #2, which I'm pretty certain wasn't going to show.
I'll be lucky if about a third of my List makes the final list which will be THE lowest I've ever done for one of these.
The HUGE diversity of not only the genre itself but how widely any given individual's perception of "what's funny" will keep us all guessing how it finally pans out. So, YAY for that.

The film that's highest on my list that I don't think will make it at this point is my #5. I thought maybe it would eek into the bottom of the Countdown, but given people's questions regarding whether or not Brazil is a comedy, I doubt many other voters even thought to consider this one.

Best of XXXX Year isn't really debatable, but when I did the Action Movie Countdown the same thing happened with a lot of people voting in movies they really liked where Action was present, but not a focus.

My stated criteria was "when you think ACTION you think of this movie".

If that XXXX year is recent, even that can get debatable (unless someone gives the hard & fast rule of what a site lists it as), because for top 10 lists of the current/past year the whole, international vs domestic release date, plus official (festival) release date vs when it actually plays wide enough release that someone can see a film outside of a festival.

ETA: I find as we get further and further away from the date, the more and more the initial/earliest release date becomes the official date.

*sigh* I'm losing hope in one of my top picks
Only one?!?!?!
That's doing pretty well!

If that XXXX year is recent, even that can get debatable (unless someone gives the hard & fast rule of what a site lists it as), because for top 10 lists of the current/past year the whole, international vs domestic release date, plus official (festival) release date vs when it actually plays wide enough release that someone can see a film outside of a festival.

ETA: I find as we get further and further away from the date, the more and more the initial/earliest release date becomes the official date.
That can be stipulated in the opening post of the countdown ("we're going off iMDB release date").

How I think my list is likely to end up.

1. top ten
2. definitely
3. I assume is a lock but maybe I'm wrong
4. Playtime (1967)
5. top ten
6. probably not
7. definitely
8. Being John Malkovich (1999)
9. probably not
10. no one is predicting this, but it will be a huge slight, in my opinion
11. maybe
12. definitely
13. Modern Times (1936)
14. top ten
15. definitely
16. possible, but unlikely
17. possible
18. no chance
19. no chance
20. definitely
21. One, Two, Three (1961)
22. Beetlejuice (1988)
23. nope
24. Sullivan's Travels (1941)
25. nope

How I think my list will end up:

1. NOPE (1971)
2. Maybe (1999)
3. Black Dynamite (2009)
4. Clue (1985)
5. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
6. Slim Maybe (1998)
7. Absolutely 100% Top Ten (1975) ((we all know what this one is))
8. NOPE (2013)
9. NOPE (2010)
10. NOPE (2006)

I've got several that, even when I made my List, I KNEW wouldn't show but loved them too much NOT to have them. Including my #2, which I'm pretty certain wasn't going to show.
I'll be lucky if about a third of my List makes the final list which will be THE lowest I've ever done for one of these.
The HUGE diversity of not only the genre itself but how widely any given individual's perception of "what's funny" will keep us all guessing how it finally pans out. So, YAY for that.
Very true. And while not liking the results is a thing, there is that cool trade off, at least, where you get to be genuinely uncertain about most of the results.

The film that's highest on my list that I don't think will make it at this point is my #5. I thought maybe it would eek into the bottom of the Countdown, but given people's questions regarding whether or not Brazil is a comedy, I doubt many other voters even thought to consider this one.
curious as all get out to discover what that one is. I'm kinda hoping it's one I need to see. lol

The one I'm worried about is my #5. I know it's a bit cult-ish, but I thought it would still sneak in. But know? I doub it.

Only one?!?!?!
That's doing pretty good!
Well, there are obviously a bunch that I was sure or 50/50 that wouldn't make it, but the one I was referring to was, like I said above, my #5. I was more or less sure it would make it, now I doubt it.

Very true. And while not liking the results is a thing, there is that cool trade off, at least, where you get to be genuinely uncertain about most of the results.
Exactly. The Joy of the Unsure to the very end. A change out from the reading of the final order. Though, who knows, there may be one. No idea what that's gonna be lol

1. LOCK
2. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
3. Trading Places (1983)
4. NOT SURE
5. Stripes (1981)
6. The Hangover (2009)
7. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
8. Vacation (1983)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
10. HAD A SLIM CHANCE
11. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
12. WAY TOO LATE
13. WAY TOO LATE
14. LOCK, LIKELY TOP 10
15. WAY TOO LATE
16. WAY TOO LATE
17. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
18. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
19. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
20. WAY TOO LATE
21. WAY TOO LATE
22. WAY TOO LATE
23. A SEQUEL, NEVER HAD A CHANCE
24. I THINK ITS A LOCK
25. NEVER HAD A CHANCE

The one I'm worried about is my #5. I know it's a bit cult-ish, but I thought it would still sneak in. But know? I doub it.
I was more or less sure it would make it, now I doubt it.
Cultish, ya say, hmm. . . Go on.

I'm hoping ya still get a surprise; that'll be sweet.

1. LOCK
2. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
3. Trading Places (1983)
4. NOT SURE
5. Stripes (1981)
6. The Hangover (2009)
7. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
8. Vacation (1983)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
10. HAD A SLIM CHANCE
11. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
12. WAY TOO LATE
13. WAY TOO LATE
14. LOCK, LIKELY TOP 10
15. WAY TOO LATE
16. WAY TOO LATE
17. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
18. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
19. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
20. WAY TOO LATE
21. WAY TOO LATE
22. WAY TOO LATE
23. A SEQUEL, NEVER HAD A CHANCE
24. I THINK ITS A LOCK
25. NEVER HAD A CHANCE
You F@ckin BEAST, 7 NEVER HAD A CHANCE!?!
I wanna party with you, Cowboy.

Sh#t, I'm gettin a thrill for the personal reveals more and more lol

Maybe you'll get lucky and you don't have to worry about the people who don't consider Brazil a comedy and only about the people who do. Though, I think of the representative I had for one slot that basically did the best stand in for a number of dark comedies between certain dates, and all of those other possible choices and it seems like my pick overlapped with everyone else who have been having some similar ballot entries as me.

My #5 is almost guaranteed not to make it at this point. My #2, which at the beginning of the countdown seemed almost certain, is now on shaky ground.

Which, if my #2 doesn't make it, will seem really surprising in contrast to my #1 (It's Such a Beautiful Day) and #4 (Hausu) both managing to place, despite those both being much more cult/niche in their following.

I need to dig up the post where I gave my odds somewhere during the 40-30 reveal just to see how wildly off my guessing was.

1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
2. Would have been a happy surprise; ship go bye-bye; I eat a LOT of ice cream
3. Gonna be in the Top Ten
4. Long past its due date
5. Has a little bit of life left, maybe
6. F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
8. Locked for Top Ten
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
10. Wasn't gonna happen, but f@ck how it makes me laugh
11. Something I never thought had a chance but by conversations, I've read. . . ???
12. I thought, at least, maybe the back fifty. F@ck me till I giggle if it shows in the next ten or so
13. Locked. Cocked. Thank You, Goodnight, Position
14. Please refer to #12, thank you
15. Yeah, NO WAY, but f@ckit, I'm calling a #10 on this'n
16. OK, this one kinda pisses me off in a kinda snobby "No, good sir, f@ck not only you but each and every one of your associates. So, yes, if you please, gag, choke, die. You pick what order. Now, off with you."
17. Um, let's see, I. . . think, I'm gonna go with. . . um, yes. #6, yes, please, thank you
18. F@ck, I already know, I'll have a #4, thanks
19. Was hoping for a spot in the back twenty. . . oh well, boo effin hoo pour moi lol
20. Oh, I knew -- I KNEW::evil laugh:: -- sorry, um, I'll have a #10 as well
21. How about I go Large on the #10 and gimme a #20. Awesome, thanks dude
22. Oh MY God! Gimme THAT. #20 for me too.
23. I'm dieting, so - f@ckin delish, Do enjoy, but, yes, a #10 ONLY, if you'd be so kind and thank you - LOVE your scarf.
24. Gimme a #6 and spice that sh#t up, will ya. And, yeah, cool scarf.
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

My #2, which at the beginning of the countdown seemed almost certain, is now on shaky ground.
Yeah, with the unpredictable way the Countdown has been going, there are a few I was certain were going to make it, but now I don't know.

On the flip side, some films I didn't have any confidence in at all might turn out to have other supporters. Looking forward to witnessing how it all plays out, as well as seeing the wide spread of films on everyone's individual lists.