.......7th's top 101.......

→ in
Tools    

7th’s top 101 Movies

Well I decided to join the top 100 movie list club here on MOFO and make one of my own. I figured just to be different I would do 101. I have also decided to watch the film I have placed on my list ( if I have not seen it in the last year or so) just before commenting on it. That way it is fresh in my mind. I know this makes for a slow listing of my favs, but hey who is in a hurry? Making this list kind of reminds me of picking a favorite food (hmmm maybe that list will be next). A person’s mood and even the time of day seem to highlight or take away from a movies appeal. Some films however are good almost anytime, a bit like pancakes: they are great either for breakfast or a midnight snack. I welcome criticism and praise and everything in between, but please remember that these are my pancakes and although I do like to share please to not take more than you can eat.

Stand By Me ~ 1986

Directed by Rob Reiner

Watching tonight 2/4/08

I was around twenty years old when I first saw this wonderful coming of age film. I was a new father and I was soon to join the Army. The reason I mention these things is I knew that I was leaving my childhood behind. Day by day I was turning into an adult and it was scary. At that time, this story took me back a few short years when the days of summer lasted forever and some of the friends you made were friends for life, even if you did lose touch with all of them. I identified with the young boys, I laughed and I cried with them. Today: I see myself as the narrator, the guy who remembers his childhood, the good and the bad and misses it. Dreyfuss is an excellent storyteller in this movie and he has a wonderful way of looking like he actually is remembering the past. The way this film feels like the book is amazing, I could close my eyes and just listen and still enjoy this adventure.
Based on the Short story “The Body” by Stephen King the movie starts out with four young boys Gordie (Wil Wheaton), Chris (River Phoenix), Teddy (Corey Feldman), and Vern (Jerry O’Connell) embarking on an adventure to see a dead body. As macabre as that sounds it is an enlightening quest. Although still very young most of the kids for one reason or another find themselves thrust into becoming independent from their families and other adults. Most of the characters who are adults are just plain ******** and their screen time is thankfully short. Even the Bullies are too young for me to see as adults. Ironically the only adult (albeit still young) character that seemed to even give a damn was Gordie’s brother played by John Cusack and that was during an early scene which was a memory of a memory. It does not matter if they are running from trains and dogs or calling each other obnoxious names or arguing about who does what - they are friends and always will be. A wonderful film with excellent acting from the teenage cast and a great soundtrack to help you experience the era.

Next
Paper Moon ~ 1973
Directed by Peter Bogdanovich
Will watch this weekend

Nice start... Stand By Me is a great movie... and Paper Moon is a favorite that I need to get on DVD again...

Am looking forward to seeing the rest...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

If there is ever a best favorite movies list poll, my vote goes to this thread, even though there's only one movie in it so far. A great idea to watch favorite flicks again before listing them, and a very interesting review. Can't wait to see more.

You should have listed 107 films.

Seriously though, looking forward to seeing your list. Haven't seen Paper Moon, but I do like Stand By Me quite a bit.

Paper Moon
Directed by Peter Bogdanovich

This film holds a special place in my life because it is one of the only films I remember watching with my Grandmother. It is also one of the first movies that I remember enjoying, even if it was black and white. I say that because I was ignorant of cinema at the time and if it was not color it tended to bother me. I was only eight years old at the time and I have since outgrown this silly idea so please forgive my youthful foolishness. I actually enjoy black and white films greatly and many more are on my list.
Paper moon begins with a depressing get-together: the funeral of Essie May ‘, killed in a tragic automobile accident. Concurrently the viewers are bombarded by both the sadness of a death and the combining of a wonderful duo: A crafty conman and a juvenile upstart. The film progresses with the conman and the young Addie heading towards her aunt’s home in Missouri. Ryan and Tatum both bring to the story a part of something that meshes, it is an amazing chemistry. Addie (Oscar winning Tatum O'neal) smokes like a chimney and Moses (Ryan) sells bibles to widowers whose husbands supposedly ordered them before their demise. This father and daughter team has seen no equal in my opinion since or before in filmmaking. Peter Bogdanovich directs a beautifully filmed piece of history that uses sarcasm and love and crime in a most outstanding way. Madeline Kahn makes a great 2nd act appearance as the Ms. Trixie Delight and even makes Addie smile, although that smile is a bit evil I think. The film progresses to its’ wonderful ending and I know almost 98% of us have seen it I do not want to ruin it for anyone. Needless to say if you have not seen this movie I suggest it with utmost praise. I think Peter’s earlier films are wonderful also, but this, to me seemed like his last great hurrah.

Next:
Logan's Run ~ 1976
Directed by Michael Anderson

Watching 1/6/08

You should have listed 107 films.
Seriously, I have a top 100 list, but I also have a top 500 and the 101st really needed to be included here...so yeah sorry for being silly on the 101 thing.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Paper Moon is a fantastic movie and one of my favorites too. I really like the way you give a little bit of personal reason why you like each movie so far.

Logan’s Run ~ 1976
Directed by Michael Anderson

I cannot recall the first time I watched Logan’s Run, but I do remember enjoying it with a childhood friend. I think it was in the late 70s and we watched it over and over again during a weekend at his house using his VCR that was the size of a small car. He had HBO and a VCR it was all the rage back then. For weeks we were using the line, “Run, Runner!”

It is the 23rd century and this domed community is a paradise at least until you reach the ripe old age of 30. Then you are exterminated in an awful ceremony where you are promised to be reborn. A few citizens obviously think this is a farce, or they are just not ready to be reborn, these people decide to run and are called – you got it- runners. Michael York of Musketeer fame costars as a Sandman, a policeman that specializes in catching and terminating foolish runners. Robbed of his last few years Logan’s palm crystal turns prematurely red identifying him as an individual whose time has come. This creates a first, a Sandman turned runner, and the chase is on. Pursued by his best friend and fellow Sandman Francis (Richard Jordon) and accompanied by sexy, scantily-clad, fellow fugitive Jessica (Jenny Agutter) York draws the veiwer into his world. A place where one can use a remote control to have a woman (or man) materialize in your room for some fun, and pink party smoke bombs set the mood, this movie is definitely from the 70’s (the 1970’s not the 2270’s), and it is all the better for it. Forgive the awful effects and smarmy acting and robots that remind one of Burl Ives

from a Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer show and you will enoy this movie just like I did.

Next:
The Outsiders ~1983
Directed by F.F. Coppola
Watching soon

The Outsiders ~ 1983
directed by Franis Ford Coppola

To say that this film had an impact on how I perceived my lot in life would be an understatement. I was the greaser, the poor kid who lived in the backwoods and although the term used for me back then was redneck, the treatment was the same. I do not feel bad about this at all, at least not in a very long time. I had a loving family and a great time doing “redneck” things (we will not go into those things right now). Until I went to middle school I did not even realize I was poor. Actually I do not think we were poor, but we were darn close. Dad was good with a garden and Mom was great at the grocery store. Anyway although the era was different in the film and the place and semantics used are not the same, I was a Greaser not a Soc.

Without going into the laundry list of stars that are in this film (although not so much at the time) I must say that this is truly one of Ralph Macchio’s better performances of his career, at least IMO. He really looks miserable most of the time and you feel sad just watching him on the screen. The story is about two rival gangs, the Socs (rich kids) and the Greasers (poor trouble makers). Two of the trouble makers go on the run after an unfortunate confrontation with rivals and a good part of the movie is about Ponyboy (C. Thomas Howell) and Johnny Cade (Macchio) hiding out. The camera work in this classic is amazing and the “Nothing gold can stay”
scene is beautiful.

One of the best “Rumbles” in a movie ever is included and makes for a great moment in the film. The Outsiders is a wonderfully paced piece of art that will not disappoint most.

Next:
The Hunt for Red October ~ 1990
directed by John McTierman

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Every film on my list is a huge compliment to it. Just like 7th, I can recommend 500 films to a movie buff, and a thousand more to a super one.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm lovin' the variations of the MoFo 100s recently! This one's shaping up to be the War & Peace version (only readable).

Good work bud.

I am half agony, half hope.
I like the commentary in your list, 7th, it lets me know you a little better. Great list!

Johann von Goethe

Every film on my list is a huge compliment to it. Just like 7th, I can recommend 500 films to a movie buff, and a thousand more to a super one.
I had no trouble listing off a couple of hundred movies. The problems began when I started trying to reduce the list to 100 titles and then put them order from favorite to least favorite of the set. One day I could like #100 better than #1 on my list. I feel like one of those
who just pass out with their legs sticking up in the air when they get stressed out.

The Hunt for Red October ~ 1990
directed by John Mc Tiernam

Many years ago I saw this film with my father on the big screen. It was the only movie we ever saw together at the theater. My mother has told me that Dad never took her to the movies, ever. I felt sad and asked her why. She told me that she knew my father was a very un-outgoing (the word she used) person before they married, and she liked that. It was her third marriage and she wanted to settle down after being with older men and promiscuous cheaters. He enjoyed movies, just at home in front of the TV while someone was massaging his feet after a long day at work. My mother and father are old school, Dad worked all day and mother cooked/cleaned. Now I do not think that this is for everyone or every family, and I do know that being a housewife is most certainly a full time job. But it worked for us and our family. My Mom was happy being a housewife and my Dad was happy being the single income provider. This is just not possible in most circumstances current day. So what the Hell does this have to do with The Hunt for Red October? Well my father took me to that movie at the theater when I was visiting soon after leaving the nest. He also served on a Sub’ in his naval days so he did have an interest. He loved this movie and as a young man I was just aglow with him being excited about any form of entertainment.

This movie is a great drama and a great cold war film. Sean and Alex bring it to life. I really do dislike most of Alex Baldwin’s attempts at acting (There are a couple more I do like, but normally I can’t watch him), but here he shines. If you like military or submarine films then you will enjoy this movie. Connery is suberb as the defecting captain of the Soviet sub, and Baldwin plays a wonderful part as a CIA analyst.

I know I did not talk much about the film itself, but the reasons I gave are why it is one of my fav’s, (is that not what a favorite list is about?) and after looking at it earlier tonight I relish the memories it has given me.

Next:
Hollywood Knights ~ 1980
directed by Floyd Mutrux