Rioting in the U.S.

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And still, nobody can give me an example. It's not just you, it's a pattern.

I'll give you an example of an experiment I was a part of in high school.

The class was history and the topic was racism in modern times. My partner and I decided to do an experiment at a blockbuster.

We wore similar clothing, loose jeans and a hoodie with a backpack. I would walk in, look around for ten minutes and leave, he would do the same.

I walked in, looked around for ten minutes and left. I was never talked to once (poor customer service) never followed and never asked to leave my backpack at the door.

Staff of two people.

My friend, whom is black walks in. He's asked to leave bag at door and one of the employees followed him throughout the store. 5 minutes in he was asked to leave.

I had the privilege of not being harassed. That's just my own personal experience, my first real experience on how black people live in the world.

I never held with the idea of 'sins of the father'. That type of thinking negates individual responsibility. Nor do I believe in collective guilt of a race, people or country. There's only individuals who can decide to do right or decide to do wrong.
It's so true, living in the past does not help you in the future. Identity politics is a bitch. I don't even like talking black people or white people. That's what I want to get rid of and for some reason nobody seems to agree.

The resume thing has been mostly debunked, FWIW. It didn't control very well for economic factors. Another study was conducted where they chose "high-class" and "low-class" sounding names within each racial group and found a correlation there, instead. Same kind of response with perceived "low-class" white names.

It's pretty striking how often examples of racism turn out to be explained by economic factors. Of course, that can be influenced by race, but that's a distinction most people don't seem to make, if they're even really aware of it. And just to confound things a bit more, that generational wealth gap should logically persist even if you thought current policies were perfectly equitable. Naturally, if nobody points any of this out, most of these discussions are just people talking past each other.

I'll give you an example of an experiment I was a part of in high school.

The class was history and the topic was racism in modern times. My partner and I decided to do an experiment at a blockbuster.

We wore similar clothing, loose jeans and a hoodie with a backpack. I would walk in, look around for ten minutes and leave, he would do the same.

I walked in, looked around for ten minutes and left. I was never talked to once (poor customer service) never followed and never asked to leave my backpack at the door.

Staff of two people.

My friend, whom is black walks in. He's asked to leave bag at door and one of the employees followed him throughout the store. 5 minutes in he was asked to leave.

I had the privilege of not being harassed. That's just my own personal experience, my first real experience on how black people live in the world.
It's a great experiment and it was unfair to your friend. The problem with this specific example, is that not being harassed is not a privilege. You shouldn't be harassed. It can't be a privilege if it's the way it's supposed to be. If you want to make the argument that your friend was underprivileged or something like that, I can go for that.

The resume thing has been mostly debunked, FWIW. It didn't control very well for economic factors. Another study was conducted where they chose "high-class" and "low-class" sounding names within each racial group and found a correlation there, instead. Same kind of response with perceived "low-class" white names.

It's pretty striking how often examples of racism turn out to be explained by economic factors. Of course, that can be influenced by race, but that's a distinction most people don't seem to make, if they're even really aware of it. And just to confound things a bit more, that generational wealth gap should logically persist even if you thought current policies were perfectly equitable. Naturally, if nobody points any of this out, most of these discussions are just people talking past each other.
This is spot on. I believe the bigger problem is economic inequity, which does have to do with racial sins of the past. However, white people only cannot fix it. The African-American community has to improve in some areas. That's why I keep saying it takes all of us. Let's identify the problems and solve them all together. I can't fathom why this enrages people.

You ready? You look ready.

Indeed, but the telling thing is that the theft of generational wealth has occurred repeatedly. The most recent of which was the urbanization renewals that took place in the late 60s and 70s. In that particular instance, property owned by minorities was stolen at a fraction of its cost in order to increase the tax revenue of cities. This was effectively a double dip situation as the property was acquired through condemnation for cents on the dollar or at no cost at all, and then the newly acquired tax revenue was used to improve white neighborhoods whilst the population that was displaced has been left to languish in dilapidated communities. And this happened ALL over America.

But, ya know, no one seems to want to admit that history has an effect on these kinda things.

It's a great experiment and it was unfair to your friend. The problem with this specific example, is that not being harassed is not a privilege. You shouldn't be harassed. It can't be a privilege if it's the way it's supposed to be. If you want to make the argument that your friend was underprivileged or something like that, I can go for that.

A lot of things are supposed to be certain ways and they are not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theunde...privilege/amp/

I'm just gonna stop though because I dont want to turn the death of an unarmed black man into a debate about white privilege. I dont even know what people are arguing about anymore. A person is dead, things need to change.

Nobody has said anything about history not being a factor. Now to the important stuff, what is the solution? I don't think labeling things as racial incidents with no evidence to support it is part of it.

Nobody has said anything about history not being a factor. Now to the important stuff, what is the solution? I don't think labeling things as racial incidents with no evidence to support it is part of it.

I don't think there will ever be a solution.

Unfortunately.

At least not in our lifetime.

A lot of things are supposed to be certain ways and they are not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theunde...privilege/amp/

I'm just gonna stop though because I dont want to turn the death of an unarmed black man into a debate about white privilege. I dont even know what people are arguing about anymore. A person is dead, things need to change.
I don't see an example of white privilege there but it is a black man talking about the concept of white privilege. Is that black privilege? Just wondering since if a white person talked about black "anything", they'd be labeled a racist.

Again, we all agree on the George Floyd murder, it was awful

I don't think there will ever be a solution.

Unfortunately.

At least not in our lifetime.
Yeah I don't think in our lifetime unfortunately either. I do think it can happen but there's too much that has to be done.

The evidence is history, so the case is shut and close.

And what about spending tax revenues to improve neighborhoods that have been largely ignored in favor of white/rich/already pretty good looking communities?

My own city is dealing with it right now. We stole generational wealth located at the heart of our city to build some of the ugliest **** ever. We destroyed our city’s history and its beauty so as to push minorities across the railroad tracks, out of the city, and leave them to languish for the last 60 years. Now that we are working to improve those areas we are having to heal the pain of that history, and that’s precisely what is needed to start fixing the issue. We have to confront the actions that have lead us to where we are and effectively condemn them. Not act like they have no bearing on current day and belittling the pain of an entire community.

Seriously? Give me a break man, come on.
But really, there's a lot of people who find that term offensive. And I think it's wrong to label a whole group of people by their skin color. Take black, Indian, Asian, eskimo, anything you want, I don't think it's right.

And just to be clear with my basic beef. A lot of people have suffered because of the rioting and some have lost their lives. If this wasn't looked at as a racial incident, it may not have happened. With no evidence of it being racial, labeling it as such is irresponsible and dangerous. I blame the media mostly, but nobody should be so careless.

The evidence is history, so the case is shut and close.

And what about spending tax revenues to improve neighborhoods that have been largely ignored in favor of white/rich/already pretty good looking communities?

My own city is dealing with it right now. We stole generational wealth located at the heart of our city to build some of the ugliest **** ever. We pushed minorities across the railroad tracks, out of the city, and left them to languish for the last 60 years. Now that we are working to improve those areas we are having to heal the pain of that history, and that’s precisely what is needed to start fixing the issue. We have to confront the actions that have lead us to where we are and effectively condemn them. Not act like they have no bearing on current day and belittling the pain of an entire community.
History is evidence that a future incident is race related? Credibility gone.

The rioting are people taking advantage of a sh*tty situation.

The cops are out of line, above and beyond with how they are handling the protesters.

The rioting are people taking advantage of a sh*tty situation.

The cops are out of line, above and beyond with how they are handling the protesters.
100%, just wondering if it'd still be happening if not pushed so hard by the media as a racial injustice. Maybe, but why force it down people's throats with no evidence.

History is evidence that a future incident is race related? Credibility gone.
I’m just glad I held onto my credibility longer than you did.

@Yoda: I think it’s safe to say this has devolved into “I’m rubber and you’re glue anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you“. 😅

I formal request you shut us all up.

I’m just glad I held onto my credibility longer than you did.

@Yoda: I think it’s safe to say this has devolved into “ I’m rubber and you’re glue anything you say bounces off me and sticks to you“. 😅

I formal request you shut us all up.
Oh please speak for yourself even if it hasn't worked out for you yet