Stand-Up Comedy Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Hello and welcome to the Stand-up Comedy Hall of Fame. It's open mic night here on MoFo so choose your favorite stand-up comedy special and come have a laugh.

The Rules:

Basic HoF rules apply to this. For any new participant or experienced one that wants to refresh, it goes as follows:

1. PM me your nominations. Keep your nomination a secret until the reveal. You can choose any stand-up special you want as long as it's possible to access by everyone. They're usually shorter than films, so I'm not applying any time limit.

2. Open Door Policy: For one week after the reveal of the nominations, new members will still be accepted.

3. Length of HoF: There will be approximately one week of viewing time per special, so if there are 10 nominations the HoF will be about 10 weeks long. The deadline to finish will be posted after the HoF starts.

4. Watch and discuss: Everyone watches the nominated specials and discusses them in this thread. You need to write at least a few sentences about your thoughts on each nomination, after you watch it. You can skip watching something if and only if you have already watched it recently or many times.

5. Please Please PLEAAASE, don't join this if you do not intend to watch every nomination till the end, being because of a particular set of jokes that might offend you or a comedian in particular you don't like. We all know comedy is subjective, but try to take everything these comedians say as only jokes and nothing too literal. The same goes to certain comics who might have done shady things in the past (I'm looking at you Louis!). I'm not limiting any nomination so just know that you might have to watch something by someone you don't like.

6. Requesting help to locate specials: If you have trouble locating a movie make a post and ask for help. When responding with a movie link send it by private message, don't post links or embed films in this thread.

7. Dropouts: Members who don't finish will be disqualified and their nomination removed from the HoF. Please make sure you have the time to complete this, it helps to start watching right away so you don't have a bunch of noms to watch at the end, but you can have your own rythm as long as you finish before the deadline. If for any reason you do need to drop out, absolutely let me know you can't finish.

8. New HoF Members: New HoF members will need to post their write ups on a regular basis. 1 write up in the first 2 weeks, and 3 in the first month and so on. That way we know your keeping up. If you're going to be absent from watching for a period PM me and let me know, otherwise I might think you've dropped out.

9. Possible double nomination: If this HoF doesn't attract many people, I might ask you to choose 2 specials instead of one, but that can be debated in the thread after we know who's in. I was thinking something like: 6/7 or less participants and everyone chooses 2.

The dealine to send your nomination is November 28th. After that, I'll announce them at once, we all start watching and any outsider has one week to join in after that day.

The Participants:

neiba
edarsenal - Nom received
Siddon - Nom received

Sorry, but this is as sure a skip for me as the holiday HoF was. I don't think I've ever watched full-length stand-up filming, and I can't say that I have much urge to change that.

I haven't watched any stand-up in years, but I used to be a fan. I'm not sure how many full-length specials I've watched from start to finish though. I'll definitely think about this over the course of the week.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'm in. Got a couple to decide over and will send my nom in today

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Thanks for the invite. I haven’t ever done a HoF, that’s a big time commitment. All of my favorites are probably considered problematic anyways, so I’ll have to watch from the sidelines for this one.

Thanks for the invite. I haven’t ever done a HoF, that’s a big time commitment. All of my favorites are probably considered problematic anyways, so I’ll have to watch from the sidelines for this one.
All my favourites are problematic too and I'm hosting this so, don't let that stop you!

This would be a good tryout for you because it's going to be so small and these specials are so short.

This would be a good tryout for you because it's going to be so small and these specials are so short.
That's a good point. And it would hold true for anyone as this will probably be the quickest & easiest HoF ever.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You know who does love stand up comedy? @matt72582 Maybe he would enjoy this.

Thanks. I love three things - movies, music, and stand-up.

No stand-up in audio format? This would eliminate MANY of the great stuff if it's only video. And how long does a "special" have to be? There are hour stand-up shows on video that are not released, but great nonetheless. Some are released later in box sets.

And in terms of availability, does it have to be available for free? Is it possible that some of us would have to go out and buy 9 DVDs? I don't even have a DVD player that works properly. Should the one who nominates make sure there's a way everyone can access it?

Thanks. I love three things - movies, music, and stand-up.

No stand-up in audio format? This would eliminate MANY of the great stuff if it's only video. And how long does a "special" have to be? There are hour stand-up shows on video that are not released, but great nonetheless. Some are released later in box sets.

And in terms of availability, does it have to be available for free? Is it possible that some of us would have to go out and buy 9 DVDs? I don't even have a DVD player that works properly. Should the one who nominates make sure there's a way everyone can access it?
I'd go with video format, this if a Movie Forum after all, but I could be open to change that if other people wanted it too. It can be discussed.

As I said, I didn't make any time limit, one of my favourite specials is 1h30. But there's also shorter ones.

Usually people try to pick stuff that is available for free, it's kind of an unwritten rule of the HoFs. But it's a case to case analysis I would say. People have changed noms for that reason in the past.