Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Black Christmas. A sorority house is plagued by obscene and weird phone calls over the Christmas season, and then a sorority sister disappears as the body of a schoolgirl is found in a nearby park. A maniac killer is stalking the sorority sisters and may be closer than they even realise in this bone-chilling mid 70s horror flick starring Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Keir Dullea and John Saxon. A brilliant, eerie and genuinely unsettling slice of horror cinema that has lost none of its power to scare in the 44 years since its original release, Black Christmas was once a rather obscure cult favourite but was rediscovered in the 2000s when it finally made it onto wide home media release, and is now acknowledged for the classic it is. I've loved this flick for decades, and it's nice to finally have it on a rather super Blu ray too.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Pusher

90's indie film flair on full-tilt with Kim Bodnia putting in a solid effort, and it's always a pleasure to see Mads doing his thing. The music is dated, but that might add to some of the movie's charm.

The memorable parts of Pusher are the intro and some of the aesthetic choices throughout, but I wouldn't consider it a must see Nicolas Winding Refn film.

One thing I really appreciated was the incredibly slow downward spiral of the main protagonist. As it could have easily become more typical of the genre.
You need to watch the second one, Kiss. Such a lovable thug

The commuter, 8/10 very good thriller

Pusher

90's indie film flair on full-tilt with Kim Bodnia putting in a solid effort, and it's always a pleasure to see Mads doing his thing. The music is dated, but that might add to some of the movie's charm.

The memorable parts of Pusher are the intro and some of the aesthetic choices throughout, but I wouldn't consider it a must see Nicolas Winding Refn film.

One thing I really appreciated was the incredibly slow downward spiral of the main protagonist. As it could have easily become more typical of the genre.
You need to watch the second one, Kiss. Such a lovable thug

Looking forward to it for sure.

Looking forward to it for sure.
I havent seen the third yet.

This might just do nobody any good.

My, my, so this is just a beautiful fable told in the most assured and passionate way. It’s really a wonder, this movie. There are so, so, so many ways in which it could have backfired and made an embarrassment out of the people involved but it walks that fine line with such grace and utter commitment and I cannot overstate how much that is thanks to Sally Hawkins’ performance, my favorite that I’ve seen from 2017 and one that’s shot up to my favorites of the decade thus far, possibly ever. What an absolute triumph it is. While it’s heartbreaking, I can’t imagine not falling in love with her instantly. Not often has an actor or actress spoken to me in such a way. Michael Shannon is in close second, practically claiming ownership of the archetype and we’re all in agreement. He turns a fairly one note character into something... more. I kept thinking of Klaus Kinski in Aguirre. The stubborn leader revealed to be barely holding it together, always seconds away from collapsing under pressure. You kind of have to pity the guy (but, then, not). Octavia Spencer, Richard Jenkins and Michael Stuhlbarg all nail each beat, again, owning every bit of their characters, working as the foundation to the world.

Speaking of which, Del Toro and his collaborators bring such an immersive element to the minute settings, but what else could one expect? The creature, the amphibian man, is a masterpiece and it’s seriously enraging that the film’s out of the running for best make-up at this year’s Oscars. Are you seriously telling me Bright did better?

Back on topic, I heartedly recommend this to anyone who might still be on the fence regarding the concept or those who have lost interest in Del Toro (I know I was). It’s joyous and reminds us of the importance of being heard, of expressing and all the ways that we can combat silence when it is oppressing, in particular of how it is that we can and must help others when one voice isn’t enough.

I have never disliked any del Toro film

I have seen a lot

Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, Mimic, Blade II, Hellboy, Hellboy II, Pan's Labyrinth, Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water. I'm a huge Gyspy Danger fan and I think Crimson Peak is a good gothic horror flick. And I have watched season 1 of the Strain.

I’ve seen a few. Devil’s Backbone when I was a kid. The Hellboy movies too. I loved those when I was about 10. Pan’s Labyrinth is my favorite (though, at the moment, SoW is giving it a run...)

The lullaby from that one is of my favorite pieces of music, period. It’s so closely tied to that moment in my life and I could hum it for hours.

I wrote my own version of the story of the Paleman from Pan's Labyrinth.

Its actually on this forum.

My, my, so this is just a beautiful fable told in the most assured and passionate way. It’s really a wonder, this movie. There are so, so, so many ways in which it could have backfired and made an embarrassment out of the people involved but it walks that fine line with such grace and utter commitment and I cannot overstate how much that is thanks to Sally Hawkins’ performance, my favorite that I’ve seen from 2017 and one that’s shot up to my favorites of the decade thus far, possibly ever. What an absolute triumph it is. While it’s heartbreaking, I can’t imagine not falling in love with her instantly. Not often has an actor or actress spoken to me in such a way. Michael Shannon is in close second, practically claiming ownership of the archetype and we’re all in agreement. He turns a fairly one note character into something... more. I kept thinking of Klaus Kinski in Aguirre. The stubborn leader revealed to be barely holding it together, always seconds away from collapsing under pressure. You kind of have to pity the guy (but, then, not). Octavia Spencer, Richard Jenkins and Michael Stuhlbarg all nail each beat, again, owning every bit of their characters, working as the foundation to the world.

Speaking of which, Del Toro and his collaborators bring such an immersive element to the minute settings, but what else could one expect? The creature, the amphibian man, is a masterpiece and it’s seriously enraging that the film’s out of the running for best make-up at this year’s Oscars. Are you seriously telling me Bright did better?

Back on topic, I heartedly recommend this to anyone who might still be on the fence regarding the concept or those who have lost interest in Del Toro (I know I was). It’s joyous and reminds us of the importance of being heard, of expressing and all the ways that we can combat silence when it is oppressing, in particular of how it is that we can and must help others when one voice isn’t enough.

Wow that's beautiful.
And I love del Toro.
Bright won best makeup? Bloody hell. Why was this not eligible?

Heh! Just watched this tonight on TCM also!

I'm still going to say the single best Titanic movie of all time is:
A Night To Remember (1958)

Most accurate depiction that focuses on the history of the sinking of the ship itself (including the causes, failures in engineering, etc.) and not filled with a bunch of fictional backstories, love-triangles and subplots since the real story was dramatic enough.

Bright won best makeup? Bloody hell. Why was this not eligible?
Bright hasn’t won anything.

I don’t know why Shape of Water is out of the competition.

Bright hasn’t won anything.

I don’t know why Shape of Water is out of the competition.
Must be something about screening date I assume. Cant think of what else it would be.

Went to the cinema to see The Commuter today. Liam Neeson is an insurance man fired from his job who finds himself approached on his way home from work by a woman who wants him to help her find someone on the train. The carrot? $100,000 if he does it. The stick? His family dead if he doesn't. Watchable enough thriller with a good cast (always nice to see Sam Neill) but pretty forgettable to be honest.

Most interesting man in the world
The Man from Bitter Ridge 1955 7 / 10

"In Tomahawk, the crooked Jackman brothers control the town, Sheriff Dunham is up for re-election, the sheep growers are banned in town and a stagecoach line undercover investigator arrives to catch the gang that regularly robs the stages."