mr. sky fox reviews: Star Trek movies

→ in
Tools    

this particular group of reviews didnt take as long to make, since theres only 13 Star Trek movies, from 1979's The Motion Picture to 2016's Beyond. ill release my reviews and rankings in 3 groups: 13-9 first, then 8-5, and lastly, 4-1. depending on how much of a trekkie you are, you may or may not like my rankings, but just remember: critiques are just glorified opinions. with that said, lets get started with 13-9:

13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 3.5/10

12. Star Trek: Nemesis - 4.5/10

11. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 4.5/10

10. Star Trek: Generations - 5/10

9. Star Trek: Insurrection - 6/10

oh, and as always:
0/10 - 3.5/10 = not good
4/10 - 7/10 = okay
7.5/10 - 9/10 = good
9.5/10 - 10/10 = freakishly good

ill post the next four, then im off to bed for the night. 8-5:

8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 6.5/10

7. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 7.5/10

6. Star Trek Beyond - 7.5/10

5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 7.5/10

for me the worst without giving ranks:
star trek the final frontier
star trek 4 the voyage home
star trek nemesis
these i would give a ranking of 1_4/10

I'd put my two cents in, if I had seen any of these movies. Sorry, but when it comes to Star Trek, I'm not that big of a fan. I've seen some of the episodes from the original TV show and The Next Generation, as well as the rebooted movie from 2009 and Into Darkness, but none of them quite grabbed me into liking the series as a whole. Don't get me wrong, they've got some good music and VFX, and some of these actors are legendary, but I'm a Star Wars guy.

okay, im back to wrap this up. after this, im going to work on a project that ill bring up later this month and ill be working on the James Bonds franchise. for now, 4-1:

4. Star Trek Into Darkness - 8/10

3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 8/10

2. Star Trek: First Contact - 8/10

1. Star Trek (2009) - 9/10

I'd put my two cents in, if I had seen any of these movies. Sorry, but when it comes to Star Trek, I'm not that big of a fan. I've seen some of the episodes from the original TV show and The Next Generation, as well as the rebooted movie from 2009 and Into Darkness, but none of them quite grabbed me into liking the series as a whole. Don't get me wrong, they've got some good music and VFX, and some of these actors are legendary, but I'm a Star Wars guy.
It does make me wonder whether, generally, you're one or the other. I'm a Star Trek person.

star trek nemesis
Wow! Someone else who's not ga-ga over "The Voyage Home."
Everybody I know LOVES this one, but for me it seems more of a personal agenda statement that goes off on a tangent (utilizing a random time travel story) from a running storyline that began in Wrath of Khan. I don't hate it, but I've seen it WAY too many times (since it's the one people always want to watch).

Everybody I know LOVES this one, but for me it seems more of a personal agenda statement that goes off on a tangent (utilizing a random time travel story) from a running storyline that began in Wrath of Khan. I don't hate it, but I've seen it WAY too many times (since it's the one people always want to watch).
When I saw it again a few years ago I'd seen a lot more original Trek in the interim. That meant that I could see it was a lot more faithful to the feel of the original series than some of the other films had been. I appreciated it more because of that. I don't even mind the hint of a personal agenda, rather the fact that it comes over as a bit repetitive to have another alien probe threatening Earth within a few films.

It does make me wonder whether, generally, you're one or the other. I'm a Star Trek person.
I know my father has said he's equally a fan of both. He grew up watching the Star Trek TV show and the Star Wars movies. I've just been personally swayed, by my own choices, to like one more than the other.

I have said this before: If you're looking for a good sci-fi series that focuses more on space exploration, Star Trek is the way to go. If you prefer big space battles and mystical powers only used by a handful of characters, then Star Wars all the way.

I know my father has said he's equally a fan of both. He grew up watching the Star Trek TV show and the Star Wars movies. I've just been personally swayed, by my own choices, to like one more than the other.

I have said this before: If you're looking for a good sci-fi series that focuses more on space exploration, Star Trek is the way to go. If you prefer big space battles and mystical powers only used by a handful of characters, then Star Wars all the way.
Let's see what happens when Dune comes out .

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
this particular group of reviews didnt take as long to make, since theres only 13 Star Trek movies, from 1979's The Motion Picture to 2016's Beyond. ill release my reviews and rankings in 3 groups: 13-9 first, then 8-5, and lastly, 4-1. depending on how much of a trekkie you are, you may or may not like my rankings, but just remember: critiques are just glorified opinions. with that said, lets get started with 13-9:

13. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 3.5/10

12. Star Trek: Nemesis - 4.5/10

11. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 4.5/10

10. Star Trek: Generations - 5/10

9. Star Trek: Insurrection - 6/10

oh, and as always:
0/10 - 3.5/10 = not good
4/10 - 7/10 = okay
7.5/10 - 9/10 = good
9.5/10 - 10/10 = freakishly good

With the exception of Star Trek: Generations, which I liked, this set is pretty accurate.

ill post the next four, then im off to bed for the night. 8-5:

8. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 6.5/10

7. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 7.5/10

6. Star Trek Beyond - 7.5/10

5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 7.5/10

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock isn't the best of the Star Trek movies, but it should be a little bit higher than this. I think it's underrated because it's sandwiched between two of the best Star Trek movies, and it just doesn't live up to the movies around it.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country should also be a bit higher than this, but not a lot higher. (Maybe 4th or 5th place.)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home should be in the top 3, maybe even the top 2 Star Trek movies.

star trek nemesis

I agree with The Final Frontier and Nemesis being in the bottom of the list, but not The Voyage Home.

I don't think it has to do with Star Trek vs. Star Wars. It just has to do with being a fan of the shows, and being familiar with the Star Trek shows and the characters. There's a lot of history and chemistry between the characters that carries over into the movies, and if you're not a big fan of the shows, you can miss a lot of the little things that make the movies so enjoyable.

That's also probably why most long-time Star Trek fans aren't big fans of the reboot movies.

okay, im back to wrap this up. after this, im going to work on a project that ill bring up later this month and ill be working on the James Bonds franchise. for now, 4-1:

4. Star Trek Into Darkness - 8/10

3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 8/10

2. Star Trek: First Contact - 8/10

1. Star Trek (2009) - 9/10

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is easily the best of the Star Trek movies, and it would be #1 on my list. It works not only as a Star Trek movie, but also as an adventure, drama, and sci-fi movie.

Star Trek: First Contact is definitely the best of the Next Gen movies, but it should probably be down 1 or 2 spots on the list.

While I agree that Star Trek (2009) is the best of the reboot movies, it doesn't belong at the top of the list. (Maybe 4th at best, but probably more like 5th or 6th.)

I know a lot of people who love both Star Trek and Star Wars. Just go to some fan conventions and you'll find many people who don't take sides.

Capt, I'm surprised that you're not a fan of The Voyage Home. It seems that most people who lived through the time that they went back to appreciate it the most because we pick up on a lot of little references that people who watch it nowadays just don't understand.

I know a lot of people who love both Star Trek and Star Wars. Just go to some fan conventions and you'll find many people who don't take sides.
Love your avatar – they're showing very early Next Generation at the moment in the UK and I really liked Patrick Stewart's acting in Season 1.

I don't know about taking sides, all I know is that I've always enjoyed Star Trek a lot more – of course the advantage with Star Trek is that it was a series so you got a lot more from the characters. They were proposing to do a Star Wars series a while ago but it didn't seem to take off.