Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

Gritty drama about the ill effects of drugs. In microcosm about a couple but also wider in their group of friends that frequent said Park. It's low-key, it's realistic and it's pretty much a bummer. The performances are note perfect. Pacino as Bobby and Kitty Win (what happened to her?) as his GF are excellent.

Excellent movie.

Enjoyed this movie, but no clue what it was about. Huge fan of Andrew Garfield & Riley Keough is always good.

9/10

The Panic in Needle Park (1971)

Gritty drama about the ill effects of drugs. In microcosm about a couple but also wider in their group of friends that frequent said Park. It's low-key, it's realistic and it's pretty much a bummer. The performances are note perfect. Pacino as Bobby and Kitty Win (what happened to her?) as his GF are excellent.

An overlooked little gem of a film. Early Al Pacino brilliance.

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)

Entertaining romantic comedy drama about two people who are struggling with mental health issues and trying to regain their footing in life after personal trauma. Strong performances all round and a smart, quirky and funny script. Predictable ending but this is a rom-com so I'll let it pass.

3.5/5 Stars

Mean Girls. (2004)

The best high school movie of the past twenty years? Shut up!

I haven't seen this in a few years and forgot how enjoyable it was. Excellent screenplay by Tina Fey, very well paced with plenty of great moments. The cast is great but this is really Lohan's film, she carries it with ease and a genuine natural performance. In fact watching this was bittersweet, to see her back in her prime before all the personal troubles sent her off the rails and tanked her career. You can tell she had that movie star quality and the potential to go on to great things. She was damn good looking as well. Such a shame to see all that talent go to waste.

4/5 Stars.
Totally agree with you on this one...Tina Fey's screenplay should have earned her an Oscar nomination.

It was okay...I kept waiting for the movie to kick into a second gear it never did. No clue as to how Regina King won an Oscar for this.

Regina King won an Oscar for this to make up for the Oscar she should have won for Jerry Maguire

An overlooked little gem of a film. Early Al Pacino brilliance.
Saw this for the first time a couple of months ago...excellent movie...think I rated it the same you did.

Barry Lyndon (1975)

First time watch. Sumptuous movie that structurally was almost perfect (seems to be on a lot of directors favourite lists). The story of the rakish Lyndon was good but I just got a cold feeling watching it. Maybe just me, it's a great achievement of a film and the cinematography and music are sublime.

Hostiles - 2017

Need some time to process this one. Bale is aces in this role, sort of criminal he wasn't nominated. The whole cast is really good. I enjoyed that the movie seemed to justify both perspectives of the Native American and American soldiers. Shows brutality both ways. The strength of the film is it never gets preachy, which is becoming the downfall of Hollywood itself. I don't think you make good art when it becomes heavy handily preachy.
Excellent comments, and I agree 100%!

Corridors of Blood (1958)

4.5/5

I had a really great time with this film. From seeing Boris Karloff in yet another fantastic role huffing opium gas to a young sociopathic Christopher Lee in the part I guess he was born to play. Quite a thrill and a joy ride. Even the no name actor Francis De Wolff playing "Black Ben" provides a terrific performance. Although it was categorized as a "Double Feature" film in my Criterion Set... this film really seems to hold it's own.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Barry Lyndon (1975)

First time watch. Sumptuous movie that structurally was almost perfect (seems to be on a lot of directors favourite lists). The story of the rakish Lyndon was good but I just got a cold feeling watching it. Maybe just me, it's a great achievement of a film and the cinematography and music are sublime.

It's supposed to be really cold. Barry Lyndon is like a shiny apple with a rotten core. Meaning, it's a beautiful film. Perhaps one of the finest films in regards to its cinematography. But most, if not all, of the characters in play are horrid to each other. Which when you go into a Kubrick film you kind of come to expect that. His view of humanity is rather bleak. I'd say knowing this, give it another go sometime if your so interested. Personally Barry Lyndon happens to be one of my favorite Kubrick films 5/5 for me.

Unlawful Entry. I loved it!

Midnite Spares (1983)

4/5

I went into this expecting a low-grade plot and wanting carsploitation and ozploitation... I got it. And seeing this is my first VHS purchase for my collection and hearing the sweet hum of a VCR... bliss. Loved my experience!

Even the old "Be Kind, Please Rewind."