The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Gunfighter made my list, really good film I'm glad I watched!!

Seen: 12/62
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)

My list:
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Quote from Laura Dern

I remember in fifth grade going to a boy’s house for a play date and the dad saying, “You’re dad’s a real son of a bitch — he killed John Wayne. When I heard my kid was bringing you over, I was like, Whoa, I don’t know about this play date.” [Laughs.] And I’m thinking, I almost didn’t get a play date because my dad killed John Wayne? Wait a minute, what’s happening?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Gunfighter is one of my favorites of the new movies that I watched for this countdown. It's a similar theme to John Wayne's The Shootist, but I liked The Gunfighter more, especially the ending. The Gunfighter was #8 on my list.

I thought Little Big Man was an interesting movie, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I never really considered it for my list.

My list so far:
1) Oklahoma! (1955)
6) Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
7) The Frisco Kid (1979)
8) The Gunfighter (1950)
9) Maverick (1994)
12) North to Alaska (1960)
13) The Bravados (1958)
16) City Slickers (1991)
17) The Hanging Tree (1959)
19) Winchester '73 (1950)
20) The Quick and The Dead (1995)
23) El Dorado (1967)
25) Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (TV Movie - 1977)

I'm ashamed to say that, Western fan that I am, I've never seen The Gunfighter. I've wanted to. It came on TCM not long ago and I said to myself that it would come back on soon but alas, it has not. My bad.

Little Big Man is a classic movie that works on so many levels, and the first time I saw it, it was probably the early 80's and I had just read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. For those who don't know, it is the sad tale of the treatment of the Native Americans by the Government from the time settlers came from Europe and begin to drive out, slaughter, relocate, or imprison the natives of this country. With that in mind, I saw and was thinking of the tragic aspect of the film, but I couldn't help but lean toward the humorous side of the film as my favorite aspect of it. Just a great, great movie and I sadly bumped it from my list for something else.

I'm ashamed to say that, Western fan that I am, I've never seen The Gunfighter. I've wanted to. It came on TCM not long ago and I said to myself that it would come back on soon but alas, it has not. My bad.
Good news - it's freely available on the Tube of You if you want to watch it from there.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For the seemingly hundreds of movies he made and as enduring a movie star as he was John Wayne was only nominated for two Oscars. His first was The Sands of Iwo Jima (1949). He was already forty-two and Broderick Crawford won that year for All the King’s Men. His only other nomination came in 1970 when Duke was nearly sixty-three. His competition was two well respected Brits in Richard Burton (Anne of the Thousand Days) and Peter O’Toole (Goodbye, Mr. Chips) and the young co-stars of the movie that would win Best Picture and was about as antithetical to Wayne as something could be, Midnight Cowboy's Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight. Wayne got his Oscar for playing the cranky, aging Rooster Cogburn who reluctantly teams with a young girl (Kim Darby) and a Texas Ranger (Glen Campbell) to track some wanted outlaws including Robert Duvall and Jeff Corey. It is the last time Wayne worked with director Henry Hathaway and this is the third of their films to make the countdown (#100 The Sons of Katie Elder and #96 North to Alaska). The original True Grit was on ten ballots, seven of them were top ten votes: an eighth, three seventh, one fifth, and a pair of fourth placers.

Jeremiah Johnson was a real person whose life and myth were the subject of the non-fiction bio Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson. John Milius was commissioned to adapt the story into a screenplay and at one stage it was going to star Clint Eastwood and be directed by Sam Peckinpah: the two didn’t see eye-to-eye and both left the film. It would land as a project for Robert Redford, now a producer and a movie star thanks to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, who brought on his friend Sydney Pollack to handle directing. Redford fought with Warner Brothers to make sure the entire movie was shot on location and that decision is as big as any in making Jeremiah Johnson the classic it is. Shot in the magnificent wilds of Utah the story of a war veteran who decides to become a trapper and Mountain Man, knowing little about it and having to battle the elements, bears, and hostile Native Americans is an often quiet portrait that feels authentic. Johnson was on a dozen ballots including a second, a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh place nod.

The Sons of Katie Elder, North to Alaska, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Shootist, Red River,
The Cowboys, El Dorado, True Grit, Two Mules for Sister Sara
, and Pale Rider

The original True Grit was my #21, I prefer it to the remake personally. Almost certainly would've watched Jeremiah Johnson back in the day but it's another that I've no worthwhile memory of so won't even count it as 'seen'.

Seen: 34/64
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
36. Tombstone
35. Gunsmoke (1953)

Jeremiah Johnson was on my list at nineteen. I love the storytelling, which is confident enough to be completely free of dialogue for long stretches. When there is dialogue - especially with the elderly Grizzly hunter nicknamed Bear Claw (Will Greer) and the more experienced fellow mountain man Del Gue (Stefan Gierasch) - it is often humorous and it always rings true. Redford’s Jeremiah winds up with a quasi-adopted son and is gifted a Native American bride, neither of whom speak a word of English, but mostly Johnson is on his own, navigating the perils and beauties of the landscape.

That is ten of my twenty-five with thirty-six to go on the countdown.

HOLDEN PIKE'S LIST
5. Little Big Man (#38)
7. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (#83)
10. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
13. My Name is Nobody (#79)
14. The Grey Fox (#66)
16. Hombre (#88)
18. Pursued (#73)
19. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
23. The Professionals (#45)
25. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

Haven't seen the original True Grit yet. Says a hell of a lot about the Coen brothers that in the day and age of the snobby get off my lawn cinephile, their remake is sure to place higher.

Holden talked better about Jeremiah Johnson than I ever could. Watched it a lot with my dad as a kid. I hope I remembered to give it points, but if I forgot it was by accident.

I'm pretty sure I've only seen the remake of True Grit (which was in some contention to be on my vote but I didn't end up rewatching it either so no votes for the original or remake from me). Jeremiah Johnson I watched a couple of years ago but wasn't too impressed. It's given us a great gif though.

Seen 22(+2)/64

My List  

And here's some serendipity or something at work. Those who have been regulars here for a while at MoFo know I sing in bands. I left my previous band back in October after about a four year run and was enjoying some time off after nearly seven straight years of gigging. I was in no rush to get back into it but last week I was sort of head hunted by a really good local band looking for a front man. I had my first contact Wednesday night, auditioned Friday, and this past Sunday was my first gig with them. The gig was out of town, a few hours away down near Ocean City, MD. Which is why I dumped six films on you Friday morning, allotting me time to audition, learn some songs, do the gig, and not get home until 1:00am Monday.

The name of the band: Great Train Robbery.

Seen neither, but was meaning to get to True Grit!

Seen: 12/64
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)

My list:
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk

True Grit is the classic John Wayne vehicle that defined his old crusty image in the minds of movie goers. It's a fun, colorful Waynesque adventure. But what makes the movie is the impetuous performance by young Kim Darby. Darby was born for this role and makes the perfect foil for John Wayne's crusty Rooster Cogburn. I could watch this one again...but it didn't make my list.

Jeremiah Johnson, I seen this one too it's a solid one man adventure into the great unknown wilderness of the high mountains. Didn't make my list either, but glad to see that it made the countdown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I really like both these films but didn't vote for them, although they were both on my shortlist. I'll probably save my comments on True Grit until the remake shows up here since I compare them. Jeremiah Johnson is a beautifully photographed story of survival and respect between two races with a great and often silent performance by Redford.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Little Big Man is a classic movie that works on so many levels, and the first time I saw it, it was probably the early 80's and I had just read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. For those who don't know, it is the sad tale of the treatment of the Native Americans by the Government from the time settlers came from Europe and begin to drive out, slaughter, relocate, or imprison the natives of this country. With that in mind, I saw and was thinking of the tragic aspect of the film, but I couldn't help but lean toward the humorous side of the film as my favorite aspect of it. Just a great, great movie and I sadly bumped it from my list for something else.
Took me until the last year or so to finally see it as well. Along with a number of other Must See! Classic Westerns.
I feel your shame

Good news - it's freely available on the Tube of You if you want to watch it from there.
Thanks, @Chypmunk! I'll be sure to watch it now!

Okay, True Grit is my #4 Western and a lot of the reason is nostalgia. I remember seeing it at the drive-in twice with my sister and brother-in-law and enjoying the time with them as much as I did the film. But the movie was a rip-roaring classic to me, even back in 1969. No doubt it was Wayne's movie, but Kim Darby, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Strother Martin (in a funny performance as he haggles with Darby over the cost of horseflesh), and even Glen Campbell, whose performance didn't bother me as it did a lot of critics, only add to the greatness of the film. Now, he was no expert thespian but he was perfectly capable in his role IMO. And Jeff Corey was pitifully grungy as Tom Chaney, the killer of Darby's character's father, which sets off the entire adventure. Wayne's Oscar win was controversial to some, but I think it was more a career gift than for his performance, which I still think of as one of his best. So glad to see it here.

I love Jeremiah Johnson so much but for some reason I didn't place it on my list, despite considering it. It was one of those, "but if I put it on, I lose this movie!" Tough call, but it doesn't make me love this movie any less. Redford's almost solo performance is perfect for the movie, and the supporting cast is excellent. So many great scenes, but it's hard to pick one out as the best as the whole almost-tranquility of the movie (despite action, comic bits, and tragedy) wraps around everything and draws me in like a great big movie hug every time I watch it. Sad to cut but very glad to see it here. I had no doubt it would show.

My list so far:
Hombre Me: 13 The list proper: 88
The Naked Spur Me: 25 The list proper: 86
Ride the High Country Me: 10 The list proper: 63
Winchester '73 Me: 20 The list proper: 53
El Dorado Me: 2 The list proper: 47
The Professionals Me: 23 The list proper: 45
Shane Me: 12 The list proper: 43
True Grit Me: 4 The list proper: 38