A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Might re-watch Leatherface.
I saw it in the theater when it came out and thought it was ok, pretty by-the-numbers attempt to spit out a generic slasher using a known name, but hell, could be a diverting experience.
And there's something interesting to me about the most forgotten film in what is now a, what, NINE-film property.
When was the last time anybody actually watched it? Thoughts?

Victim of The Night
Also, did you guys know that the guy who wrote The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 also co-wrote Paris, Texas with Sam Shepard?
Paris, ****ing Texas!

I always confuse the title Spiral with Uzumaki.
Haven't seen the latter, but nothing in Spiral is half as creepy as any of the screenshots I've looked at.

I'll wager however that the evil force in Uzumaki isn't nearly as DTF as the one in a Spiral.

Also, did you guys know that the guy who wrote The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 also co-wrote Paris, Texas with Sam Shepard?
Paris, ****ing Texas!
He's also the star of the very good and very funny David Holzman's Diary.

Might re-watch Leatherface.
I saw it in the theater when it came out and thought it was ok, pretty by-the-numbers attempt to spit out a generic slasher using a known name, but hell, could be a diverting experience.
And there's something interesting to me about the most forgotten film in what is now a, what, NINE-film property.
When was the last time anybody actually watched it? Thoughts?
I saw it a few years ago.*Nothing special but pretty sturdy, all things considered.*

I'm assuming you're talking about the 1990 film and not the prequel from a few years ago.*The latter is

Victim of The Night
I saw it a few years ago.*Nothing special but pretty sturdy, all things considered.*

I'm assuming you're talking about the 1990 film and not the prequel from a few years ago.*The latter is
Yeah, the 1990 film. After The Beginning I decided I was done with the franchise.
But I am the weirdo who has a weird affection for The Next Generation.

Too late, it's on the watchlist.

Now to not get around to for an indefinite amount of time.

Uzumaki is great. It is reprehensible to not like it. The comic's neat too.

A shame that Higuchinski made nothing else of note. I found his version of Long Dream on youtube, and it's just a soap opera'd version of the short story.

Just got around to seeing Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera. That makeup was well done, although another YouTube video thumbnail kind of spoiled it.

For about two thirds of the film, I thought the Phantom was kind of a tragic loner who just wanted to love someone. Of course, that changed in the final act, something we can see coming. But it did give some grip to the scenes he had together with Christine.

Of course Christine does have a lover. But she's willing to give him up in exchange for fame and fortune as an opera house singer in Paris. But she starts to have second thoughts when she realizes what that means.

The use of color is strong, the intertitles means you won't get lost during the film itself and Lon gives the Phantom a humanity that a lesser actor wouldn't have. I feel like the middle act could have used something (maybe more of the other man in this saga?), but a pretty solid silent horror classic nonetheless.

A COLD NIGHT'S DEATH (1973)

Highly recommending this one to my fellow Made-for-TV enthusiasts, if there are any of you out there.

So there's a research facility out on the frozen tundra somewhere that is performing experiments on chimps for the space program. Dr Popsicle (pictured) has not been in contact with home base for some time, after having sent increasingly bizarre radio transmissions, so our story begins when Robert Culp and Eli Wallach arrive to assess the situation, only to find the building has been ransacked and their colleague frozen solid. This set-up sort of reminded me of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness but the similarities end there.

The bulk of the film consists of Culp & Wallach, alone and snowbound, trying to coexist as things start to happen that suggest one of them can't be trusted. Who shut the heat off? Who left the window open? Or is there another occupant that they're not aware of?

mild spoiler:

I missed this one when I was a kid but it definitely would have been a favorite of mine. One location, a cast of two, and some decent suspense. Good stuff.

Between Last Night in Soho and Halloween Kills, October has potential!

Between Last Night in Soho and Halloween Kills, October has potential!
While I never saw it, I thought the last Halloween wasn't that well-regarded in general? I mean, I'm sure it's considered better than a lot of the other entries in the series, but that's not really saying all that much... Soho does look intriguing to me though, so at least there's that.

While I never saw it, I thought the last Halloween wasn't that well-regarded in general? I mean, I'm sure it's considered better than a lot of the other entries in the series, but that's not really saying all that much... Soho does look intriguing to me though, so at least there's that.
It doesn’t hold a candle to the original but it’s definitely one of the better sequels in the franchise. At the very least it has some impressive tracking shots.

I’m guessing Soho will please the Giallo heads around these parts. And I’ve yet to see something from Edgar Wright that I didn’t like.

It doesn’t hold a candle to the original but it’s definitely one of the better sequels in the franchise. At the very least it has some impressive tracking shots.

I’m guessing Soho will please the Giallo heads around these parts. And I’ve yet to see something from Edgar Wright that I didn’t like.
Ditto (when it comes to Wright) which is why, even though I'm not a big Horror guy, I'm still interested in checking Soho out, depending on what the reviews look like (which will probably be good, since that's the way it's been for everything Wright's done to date).

At any rate, I recently rewatched Silence Of The Lambs for the first time in a long time to write a review of it soon, which got me in the mood to watch Manhunter for the first time as well recently (which I felt was very, very good), so that reminds me, since I already know you're a fan of SIlence, how do you feel about the other Hannibal movies? And the books/show as well, while we're at it if possible.

I'd say it's the best sequel and the one that most understands what made Michael so scary. It's also by far the most technically accomplished next to Carpenter's original.*

I'm very much looking forward to Soho but I worry that Wright is too nice of a person to successfully capture the sleazy nastiness that makes the genre so enduring (he's definitely adept at doing the bombastic style). Like Baby Driver is a friendly version of The Driver, I suspect this will have a similar "nice-ification."

And Stu, I just rewatched SOTL. A perfect procedural/thriller/horror flick.

Hannibal the TV show is comparably good but stylistically world's apart. It's my favorite iteration of the character.

Ditto (when it comes to Wright) which is why, even though I'm not a big Horror guy, I'm still interested in checking Soho out, depending on what the reviews look like (which will probably be good, since that's the way it's been for everything Wright's done to date).

At any rate, I recently rewatched Silence Of The Lambs for the first time in a long time to write a review of it soon, which got me in the mood to watch Manhunter for the first time as well recently (which I felt was very, very good), so that reminds me, since I already know you're a fan of SIlence, how do you feel about the other Hannibal movies? And the books/show as well, while we're at it if possible.
Lambs is one of my favorite movies of all time. I read the book before I saw the movie and loved that too. Hannibal the TV show is very good as well although it falls a little too much into tone poem territory sometimes for me. Hannibal the sequel and Red Dragon are just ok, worth a watch if you’re really craving more of that world. I never saw that weird war prequel.

Manhunter is very good as well and I know a lot of people prefer it to Lambs. But for me it’s just not as memorable or iconic. And Manhunter is VERY ‘80s while Lambs is more timeless.

Do y'all like anthology movies? If so, you might like From Beyond the Grave. It's sort of like a Needful Things before Needful Things, with each story centered around an item from the shop. The shopkeeper is an obscure actor none of you have probably heard of who's not really known for horror, but does a great job named Peter Cushing. The stories are as follows:

The Gatecrasher: The most basic story of the bunch, but it's a good place to start. David Warner's Edward buys a mirror with a ghost stuck inside it who commands him to kill. Who knew that many dinner parties had seances as an activity?

An Act of Kindness: My favorite of the four. A lowly office manager (Ian Bannen) and father who's hardly loved by his wife and child and who pines for his glory days when he was a soldier bonds with a fellow veteran and his daughter (Donald and Angela Pleasance). Scary (and surprising), but what's possibly more scary is ending up as someone like Bannen's character in middle age.

The Elemental: The funniest story, which is about Reggie (Ian Carmichael) getting an ill-gotten discount on an object carrying a terrible curse (no, it's not a Krusty doll). Most of the laughs come from Margaret Leighton's performance as medium Madame Orloff.

The Door: Witchfinder General fans will be happy to see Ian Ogilvy as a man who purchases a door which, you guessed it, is a portal into another world. It's probably the most exciting story, mostly because of the uncertainty as to what happened before and after Ian's character purchased it.